What am I missing out on by keeping my Denon DVD-3910?

KENTGA

Novice Member
I realize it is ancient and so am I at 79. I'm really not interested in Blueray or 4k or 8k. I'm asking this because my Lexicon MC-12 has stopped working and my opt for a Yamaha, Denon or Rotel processor/amp and I was wondering if I needed to upgrade my DVD player.

Thanks, Kent

gibbsy

If it's still working and all you want is standard DVD playback then it's fine, it's a damn good player. It depends on whether or not you want high definition audio or not. DVD is limited to lossy Dolby Digital 5.1 or lossy DTS 5.1. You are also losing out of HD standard picture quality which is substantially better than SD DVD. There is more of a difference in picture quality between SD DVD and HD blu ray than there is between HD blu ray and 4K in my opinion. Forget 8K, not going to happen any time soon.

If your TV is full HD (1080p) then you are basically putting diesel into a petrol car by playing DVDs and it's performance is going to suffer as a result. Blu ray will certainly sharpen up the image which is benefit to us septuagenarians.

As for audio with HD discs then again there is a difference but as much will depend on the quality of the AV amp and the speakers that it will be driving.

KENTGA

Novice Member
Thanks, gibbsy. If it's in the forum rules, can you suggest a couple of DVD's for me to consider? In the medium or moderate price range. This is off subject but I'm going to get a 50" Samsung or another brand in the $600- $800.00 price range and it will probably have 1080p but at my age (79) I'm not into the latest and greatest and it's not the money as much as it's would I really use it. What I mean is I don't need a Ferrari to drive 70-75 mph on the interstate---- my Toyota Highlander does just fine.

Hope you understand.

Thanks, Kent

gibbsy

There are very few players on the market at the moment, supplies are sketchy no doubt due to Covid and it's world wide manufacturing effects. All new players will be 4K but there is no need to worry about that as they are also capable of playing blu rays and standard DVD and CDs.

If Panasonic players are available in the US then I would look at those. Sony would be the next to consider with LG if you're desperate. Your new Samsung at 50'' will more likely to be a 4K TV but again no need to worry as it will show blu rays just fine and may be OK with DVDs. The TV will do the upscaling for you.

KENTGA

Novice Member
Thanks again. Also I'm sure the chip shortage will affect AV equipment availability as well as Covid. I live in metro Atlanta and my local Sam's Club is sold out of almost all TV's except the extra large ones.

Thanks for your advice and assistance.

No reply necessary.

Kent

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom