1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What am i looking for in a Plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ChatwithJacqs, Jun 30, 2005.

1. ChatwithJacqs

ChatwithJacqs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

My husband wants a plasma.....we obviously don't want to waste money or spend any more than is nessesary.
    We are soon getting Sky so will be watching footie matches, movies etc.
    We don't want to spend any more than £2000, that's with leads, stand/bracket. (any other extras hidden?)
    Haven't a clue what questions to ask though.
    Have heard of HD Ready....is that essential? Know you must get good scarts not standard cheap ones(but what is good enough?).....but know nothing of what to avoid or minimum pixels/resolution. What makes are good/bad!!
    Please help....what do i ask for? And what are the pifalls?

Thanks so much (in advance)

Jacqx

2. e_python

e_python

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Oh, please.... enough of the "I love my PV500" spam.

Does every thread on this forum have to turn into a Panasonic advert ?

The OP asked for advice, not spam. It's getting very tiresome :thumbsdow :mad:

4. stroppygoblin

stroppygoblin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    One of the first questions to ask yourself is "how big"?
    If you want a 42" then you are at the top of your budget (when you include stand/mounting and cables) you can do it but you will need to shop around.

If 37" is ok then you have a lot of choice, Panasonc/Pioneer/Hitatchi all have good quality models that will be well within your budget.

Most people here will advise you to future proof yourself and get something ready for High Definition, however think long and hard about this as the people who frequent this place tend to be "early adoptors" and are willing to pay the premium of having the best - first. Mainstream HD is still a good 1 - 2 years away (yes Sky will be introducing it next year, but like the Sky+ box there will be a premium so not everyone will get it - The big take up will be when something like HD 'freeview' comes along)

Have a wander around the big electrical retailers - they have a good range of sets. (don't get talked into a sale from here - you will almost certainly get better value for money elsewhere)

If the PFY salesperson comes up :lesson: - send them away, with few exceptions their information will be useless and probably misleading - Forums like this will provide you with much better information.

Make a short list of the ones you like (stay away from the cheap end 'bargain' sets - there is a reason why they are so cheap :nono: ) and don't limit your list by the prices shown - include models that are £200 - £300 more than your budget. (you will find that from online retailers they ARE within your price range :clap:

Then bring your short list here and search on the model numbers you have found - I gaurantee you will find information and user reviews on all of them (you may have to search hard for the PV500 though :smashin: )

Good luck with your purchase :thumbsup:

5. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,584
    DON'T buy anything there and them, even if they make you a 'special' deal.
    Make sure you get a decent demo, eg. DVD hooked up via decent leads (component is best, seperate red, gree, blue wires)
    Write down all models they show you and the exact deal they are offering you - places like currys will usually offer you a discount on their warranty, but you can make that work in your favour.
    Look at plamsa's over your budget, chances are, online they may be in your budget.
    Think how you want to mount it, on a cabinet, on the wall etc. because this may affect the price. (cabinet stand is more expensive usually)

The best names (models) to look out for are:

Pioneer (435)
    Hitachi (PD7200)
    Samsung (PS42S5H, PS42S5S)
    Panasonic (PE50B, PV500B)

Any more anyone?

These seem to be the most popular plasma's at the moment.

good luck, it's a bit of a minefield at first

6. ChatwithJacqs

ChatwithJacqs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info so far....keep the advice coming....you can never have enough info!

We're off to John Lewis today to talk to a salesperson.

Thanks again
    Jx

7. e_python

e_python

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nick,

I was trying to say the same as you hence the link in my post ! :smashin:

(I was just being a bit sarcastic :devil: )

8. stroppygoblin

stroppygoblin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    PLease post back their advice - I'm sure it will make intreresting reading :devil:

Seriously though DO NOT BUY on the strength of a department stores reccomendation - You have made the succesful step in finding this forum - USE the knowledge it contains :lesson:

9. spiver

spiver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    There is a certain amount of `fear factor` when purchasing a £2k+ TV especially if you are not overly technical/spec aware. Don`t be overwhelmed by salespeople firing specifications at you. Use your eyes (and ears), a higher pixel resolution does not always equate to a better picture, even though it should logically. There is a lot of processing going on in these sets that can make a world of difference to picture quality and in general the old `you get what you pay for` often applies.

One important factor I would advise (in addition to those mentioned) is to check out the warranty details (and price). These can vary dramatically in cost and conditions. Will the set need to be returned to the manufacture if a repair is required? Who covers transport costs? (shipping a 42" plasma aint cheap). Will an engineer come to my home to fix? etc....
    Some retailers are offering a full `free` 5 year warranty which can mean quite a saving if you are the type of person that would pay extra for one.
    This forum site should give you some useful views regarding warranty and customer service.

I would also recommend visiting as many retail outlets as possible as `some` retailers have little idea how to feed a decent signal into a plasma and its easy to be put off a perfectly decent set just because you have witnessed an appalling picture on it.

Good luck and happy viewing :)

10. ChatwithJacqs

ChatwithJacqs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have just been to John Lewis and Richer sounds.
    Have decided to go for 37" now as our living room isn't that big. Was impressed by the Panasonic and they're doing a deal with free dvd recorder worth £299 (£170 in pricerunner) and they do 5 years free warranty and free delivery. For £2195.
    We can also get 12.5% discount so that's £1920 (£20 more than any in Pricerunner and with 5 year guarentee)
    Richer sounds were very good and knowledgable but only had one screen 37".

What do you reckon?

Cheers

Jx

11. kamaran

kamaran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    How do you get the 12.5% discount? Do you know a member of staff?

12. ChatwithJacqs

ChatwithJacqs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes.

13. ChatwithJacqs

ChatwithJacqs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have just realsied will be well over budget with bracket/shelves etc.....any other deals out there?
    Think 5 year warranty is a must.
    Jx

14. stroppygoblin

stroppygoblin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I bought my PV500 fro RGBDirect and can heartily reccomend them.

Assuming you are looking for the Stand version of the 37" They are doing it for £1668.99 This includes stand and the ES-10 DVD recorder. Warranty is only 1 year , but you can extend (I don't know what their prices are) Alternativly you could get a 3rd party extended warranty.

If you want the wall mount version it's £1496.95 (also inc wall mount and ES-10)

www.rgbdirect.co.uk

15. stroppygoblin

stroppygoblin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Note these prices are for the PE5037 model for PV50037 they are:

Stand:£2178
    Wall: £1899.89

16. Miander

Miander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The only panny on the RGBdirect website is the TH42PW7B which is £1349inc
    is that a similar spec to the P500's?

17. amyb

amyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to intrude on your thread but I have been out looking for a 37" plasma today too.

Richer Sounds have a Panasonic TH37 at £999.95 (reduced) but say I need a tuner/multi media box TVC600(?) at £399.95, the wall brick at £149.99 and a scart input board at £149.95 to allow me to wall mount it and be able to use my sky box, dvd unit and the kids's PS2 with only ONE cable coming from the wall unit itself.

Does this sound right?

I went to a local retailer and the same set was £1699 but he said I'd only need a £40 box to do the above?

Advice anyone?
    Thanks in advance
    Amy

18. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,584
    Can you get a pricematch first, then get your 12.5% off?

19. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    LOL lucky person, buying clothes with that much discount!

20. stroppygoblin

stroppygoblin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I beg to differ. Check under the Packages option, all latest models are listed. :smashin:

21. welshwizard

welshwizard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI

hope this helps, as ive been doing abit of surfing for good prices for the panasonic th37pe50 with cabinet

and the best so far is at www.digitaldirectuk.com

£1614 inc cabinet and free dvd recorder , & £70 del

If anyone knows of any prices than that id love to hear, as im fed up of surfing these sites

cheers

22. amyb

amyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL Yes there is only so much surfing one can do IMO.

The Panasonic UK site has the same deal (Plasma + DVD) but wth free delivery and the wall mouting kit for £1799 (http://shop.panasonic.co.uk/invt/th37pe50wal) so yours looks good (I think!).

23. HD Noob

HD Noob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been looking at the PV500 too the 42" is available from cheapelectricals.com for £1999, I'm a bit dubious as this seems considerably cheaper than other places I've looked, and the site doesn't seem to offer me very much information, anyone dealt with them in the past?