1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what am i doing wrong ??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by martin davies, Dec 13, 2002.

1. martin davies

martin davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just broke into the dvd world with my first dvd player .pioneer 656a, was very impressed with player and initial setup.

unfortunately i dont have a widescreen and generally dont like them, so when i set up my dvd player for "normal square" tv and then played my first disc of "lord of the rings"

the dreaded black bands top and bottom appeared ... so is this the norm or is it disc related ?????

can anyone help me watch a film on a normal tv ?

much appreciated

davo

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How can you not like widescreen? :confused:

Unless:

1. What is known as "pan and scan" information is encoded onto the DVD (tells the DVD player how to "convert" the widescreen movie to a 4:3 TV)

OR

2. You purchased the "full screen" or "pan and scan" version of a DVD

then you will be watching all your widescreen DVDs with black bars top and bottom.

Sometimes they put the pan and scan version on one side of the disk and the widescreen version on the other side. This is particularly common with Region 1 DVDs. Sometimes they just encode the pan and scan information onto the widescreen DVD which means that two separate versions of the movie are not needed (rare).

Sounds like you purchased the widescreen version of Lord of the Rings and not the full screen version.

3. pmladeira

pmladeira
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think the problem has to do with the kind of widescreen the film was recorded on. There's one kind that even with a widescreen TV you still get black bars at the top and bottom, and I think a lot of the newest movies use that widescreen format. There is a name for each one of those widescreen mode, but I don't exactly the name. Do a search and you'll probably find.

Do you prefer see a stretched image, for instead, a ball looking like a rugby ball, instead of seeing the black bars ??!!!!

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, not on a regular 4:3 TV displaying a movie with a widescreen aspect ratio. In these cases, you will always see black bars. How else can you fit a widescreen picture onto a 4:3 display? Think about it ;)

(Applies for all widescreen aspect ratios on a 4:3 display, including 2.35:1 which is the one you are referring to which shows up with black bars on widescreen TVs.)

5. martin davies

martin davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the info, the film was bought for me so i dont know what format it was in, i take it you can buy none widescreen dvd's

anyway , have to say this site has been great source of usefull tips / advice and was my inspiration for the pioneer dvd 656a.

thanks to all !!

6. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a look at the back of the DVD case. It will say what the aspect ratio is. If it says 2.35:1 then you have the widescreen version of Lord of the Rings.

Yes, you can buy non-widescreen DVDs for some movies (e.g. Monsters Inc, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, etc.). You will find more R1 DVDs are available non-widescreen than R2.

I don't know why you would want to do this though :( All TVs will be widescreen at some point and then you'd just have to buy all your DVDs again. Also, you're missing out on so much of the image when you watch a non-widescreen movie as they have to cut bits out to make it fit the full 4:3 screen. Better to put up with the black bars. Or get the DVDs where they have both versions (regular and widescreen) in the same box - then you won't be chucking your DVDs away when you eventually get that lovely widescreen TV :)

7. pmladeira

pmladeira
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

8. martin davies

martin davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    a very valid point and exactly what i said

so would you mind emailing my mrs and telling her !!!

new baby on the scene, cant justify new widescreen tv just yet
    will have to wait until he leaves home and by then we will be wearing visors with built in tvs with sat dishes on our heads !!!!!!

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Always trust a squirrel and you won't go far wrong.

10. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can moderators please start banning people who use the phrase "dreaded black bars"!?

Why you would want to spend a ton of money on a new player just to watch half a picture is beyond me, put up with the smaller, full widescreen image for a while and then get a widescreen telly, what's not to like about them? Great player by the way... might as well get the most out of it.