What am I doing wrong, xbox and avr?

Phantom84

Hi looking for some help with what looks like a easy setup but driving me mad.

We have a Samsung Q70R TV with a HDMI cable in port 1 and 4.

TV HDMI1 to SkyQ
TV HDMI4 to Yamaha RX-V383 HDMI Out
XBOX S to Yamaha HDMI 1 In

1. I assumed this was correct and would get earc from SkyQ but it doesn't work.

2. Get no video signal from xbox.

For now I have SkyQ and Xbox connected directly to TV.
TV HDMI1 to SkyQ
TV HDMI4 to xbox.

This works obviously but as soon as I go connnect skyq and xbox I either get no sound or no video 🤔

Should TV HDMI 4 earc goto the AVR hdmi out or HDMI1 in?

Hope I am making sense.

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Usually with any peripherals, you would connect everything to the switching device and in this instance, the Yamaha would be the switch

So, the XBOX S and the Sky Q boxes should go to the Yamaha with the TV HDMI being connected into the HDMI arc connections (think its HDMI 1 on the TV and it's he HDMI out on the AV Receiver) on both devices allowing the audio return channel to be picked up by the AV Receiver when you are streaming footage from the TV

The only thing I'm unsure of is the fps regarding 4k 120Hz game play and whether the Yamaha has the ability to work with this frequency range which I'm sure it cannot (but maybe this is something you maybe able to confirm once you have tried it)

Phantom84

So it looks like HDMI 3 is eARC will try move HDMI 1 to this then to the HDMI out onbthe AVR. I will leave xbox connected to HDMI 4.

Attachments

• 91bX6Mi3SUL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    91bX6Mi3SUL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    488.7 KB · Views: 11

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
If it’s states it HDMI 3 then that’s the input. Make sure you have all the setting correct on both devices. If you don’t have them set correctly, then neither of them will communicate with each other

Phantom84

If I leave my SkyQ and XBOX connect directly to the TV does it mean if I connect hdmi 3 from the TV to the AVR will audio work through the amp?

gibbsy

If I leave my SkyQ and XBOX connect directly to the TV does it mean if I connect hdmi 3 from the TV to the AVR will audio work through the amp?
Yes. eARC will pass full HD audio from the XBox and a maximum of Dolby Digital Plus from the SkyQ box.

Phantom84

Turns out i had a bad hdmi cable which explained the issues with xbox

Replaced all hdmi cables and reset amp and all seems to be working now.

One thing I did notice is that sound over hdmi seems to be a lot lower than sound over optical, is that normal?

dante01

Distinguished Member
EDIT

Sorry, gave incorrect information regarding eARC. THe V383 is eARC enabled and received a firmware revision to give it this ability.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom