• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What am i doing wrong with ps3 blu-ray sound?

im really struggling with Blu-Ray movies through a 2.1 speaker set up.

Games sound great, no problems there, but the movies seem a bit quiet in places, especially when ppl are talking. Im having to turn the volume up to hear conversations, then turn it down when the action scenes kick off.

Its connected through an optical lead into my amp, and i have the ps3s sound settings all on 2 channel (un-ticked all the 5.1/aac options). tried a ton of combinations, but it seems i cant fix it. Its not like i cant hear the dialogue, but theres definately something not right.

philbam

Established Member
Why do you only want 2 channel surround?
To get the full monty, so to speak, tick the 5.1 option and get the surround 'correctly' mixed.

bxd

Established Member
Hi,

Have you tried adjusting the settings on the amp for 2-channel?

I'm not sure what audio output options you're getting out of your blue ray player but you'll need to set the amp to handle the audio output (for 2-channel or prologic) as well.

Brian

so i should tick the 5.1 option even though ive only got a 2.1 set up?

wont it try to send signal to speakers that arent there? (sorry im a noob at this)

ive switched off the various surround options (dsp/pro logic) its a pretty old amp so it doenst have anything fancy.

nvm, fixed it, dont know how, theres that many friggin options, it just happened :p

tmcg

Established Member
Not that I have looked recently but have you checked out the audio settings on the ps3 menu?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom