What am I doing wrong E55

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by MikeKim, Oct 17, 2004.

1. MikeKim

MikeKim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Bought a new Panasonic E55 yesterday, I am very impressed but currently have only one (to my knowledge) problem.

I cannot record from Sky (not +). Records OK from terrestial channels but the Sky is not listed in the manual list of channels.

Have tried using the Sky recommended setup and the Panasonic recommended setup (some conflict there). Have read all relevant recent posts but have been left even more confused!

Would appreciate advice from someone in same situation. Intend to connect old Toshiba VCR, once basic setup is working, so that I can record the VCR's that I wish to keep onto DVD before consigning it to the "scrapyard in the Sky" (sorry about the pun!). Any suggestions on this would also be welcome.

Mike

2. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    It wont be on the channel list unless you are passing the rf cable through it and you auto tuned the unit with the sky box on. However the last thing you want to do is record the analogue signal, you must connect sky tv out to recarder av2, recorder av1 to tv rgb in scart. Then record from av2, with the digibox set to send rgb, the recorder set to input and output rgb.
    Don't touch the tv button on the sky remote as that will result in a black screen recording with sound until you touch the sky button again.
    If you wish to view sky whilst recording from analogue channels, you will need another scart connection from the digibox vcr out to the tv on another scart, and manually select this to view sky as the pass through is disabled whilst recording, this can pass through a video recorder as well if you wish..

3. MikeKim

MikeKim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ken

Thanks for your input. Have tried as you suggested and can now record from Sky. However, both viewing and the recording have a terrible yellow cast. The picture on the terrestial channels is also bad until I do a bit fiddling with the AV/TV on the TV's remote. I could probably live with that (not the yellow cast!!!) but my wife could not. TV is quite old and has only 1 Scart connection.

Any further thoughts.

Thanks Again

Mike

4. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    This doesn't happen with my E55 when recording from the Amstrad Sky+ box.

Pressing TV on the Amstrad Sky+ unit (I don't know about other Sky boxes) does not remove the RGB it changes the RGB blanking signal (16) which will switch a TV to composite mode but still leaves the RGB signal present. The E55 ignores this signal, in fact when switched on (out of standby) does not pass it on to the TV so the TV/Sky switching doesn't work (leaving RGB on) though it does pass it through in standy.

I realise that on a lot of Sky/DVDR combinations pressing the TV button does cause a black screen in recording. I don't know whether the difference with my setup is the Amstrad or the E55, maybe someone with a different combination could enlighten me.

5. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Have you checked your Scart cables? They could be badly connected or even not fully wired. Do you get the yellow cast if you use composite?