1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What All in one or separates? Please help!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by JohnnyWalker, Dec 11, 2003.

1. JohnnyWalker

JohnnyWalker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I´m new to this sound systems and i´ve been looking for allmost 2 months for a system, but cant decide on one.
    I have some preferences like:
    SONY DAV-SC5
    PANASONIC SC-DT310
    PIONEER DCS-303

But i don´t know if i should go for separates...

With a budget of 400£ what should i buy?

My living room is about 30m2
    My interests are watching Music DVD, Xbox, and films, so my main goal is sound.

If you think i should go for separates, do you have any sugestions?

THANKS

2. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    You may notice that I've posted a similar question below, but I might still be able to give you some advice. If your budget was much less than £400 and/or your room was smaller, I'd say an all-in-one solution would be preferable. However, since you say that sound is important, your room is a fair size and your budget is a little higher, I have to be honest that I'd be tempted to go down the separates route.

My experience of the all-in-one sub/sats is purely from PC sound systems (I've just got the new 7.1 set from Creative). They're certainly extremely very good value, and perform well at low volume in smallish rooms. The one thing to watch out for though is weakness in the midrange - which might annoy you if you're listening to a lot of music. Having just read a few reviews of Hi-Fi all-in-one systems, music is often the weak spot (together with a general lack of "grunt").

Having quickly scanned current prices, here are a few separates suggestions for you (prices are from Richer sounds):

Receivers: Yamaha RXV340 £140 or Sony STRDE485 £142 or Pioneer VSXC100 £120
    (You get a LOT for the money with recievers these days. Many people swear by Yammy receivers, and I've never had a problem with my Sony STRDB930. I also notice the Pioneer is getting good reviews.)
    DVD Player: Pioneer DV360 £60
    (good reviews, and at £60 it looks very tempting)
    Front and rear speakers: Mission M71i (2 pairs) £100,
    Centre Speaker: Mission M7CI £50
    (As an good quality entry point into the the world of home cinema and hi-fi, you could do a lot worse than something from the Mission bookshelf range. )
    Subwoofer: Yamaha YSTSW105 £99
    (To be honest, a good sub would push you well outside your £400 limit. Cheap subs can be loud but rarely musical. You might consider making do with the satellite speakers for a bit, and save up a little for a better sub.)

3. bazwall

bazwall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there.( I have posted this in the Speaker forum as well)

I am going in for seperates,not to much money to spend £400-500, I have a hI-fi system with floor standing Tangent Monitor 9's, old but damm good imho,thinking of an Yamaha HTR 5603 RDS amp, my question is,would I be better off sound wise, adding rears and a center such as the Mission mentiones above, but no sub woofer, or to buy the Yamaha ns100 speaker package inc' subwoofer? which actually works out cheaper, I do not have a DVD at present,but intend to get one, it would be primarily to build up a collection of concerts,so sound quality is my main concern.
    One other point is there any hard and fast rule regarding matching amp and speakers, watts and ohms etc? Thanks for any advice.

4. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Hmm, sounds like you're going down a similar route to me. I started off by reusing my Mission 761i speakers for fronts (not floorstanders, but a fair size). I then added Mission 77ds and 77c1 rears and centre. All are about 100W and sonically pretty well matched IMO, though the 761is do show their age a little next to the 77c1. I managed with that setup for a few months, then added a Yamaha YST-SW320 subwoofer (to give that bottom end rumble for movies mostly). I read around a little and found an article that recommended that you should ideally set your surround speakers to "small", redirecting the bass to the sub. I tried that and didn't like the result much at all. The article goes on to say that if you don't like what you hear, it means that you basically don't like the sound of your sub very much (ie the failing is with the upper range of many subs, not the principle of bass redirection). The reason I mention this is that you're weighing up replacing some floorstanders you really like, with a Yamaha speaker package costing about a third as much as the Yamaha YST-SW320. You may get better bass extension, but the result will probably be a lot less musical.

I'm not sure though whether the subs in most all-in-one packages are going to add much more audible bottom end to music compared to your Tangents. If I were you, I'd listen carefully to a CD of something pretty bass heavy at home, then take it into your local dealer and compare things. If you don't notice much or any difference, save your money and get a decent active sub later. (My yammy *does* extend the range of the mission 761is but as I said, they are quite a lot smaller, and the sub has a pretty big driver)

Having said all that, if you mismatch your new rears and centre, the result will be a mess, and you'll not get a nice coherent soundfield.

I'd ask around on the speaker forum about matching up if I were you. I'd imagine that they'll say that you really need to take them home and try them to be sure. My far from expect guess though is that you might want something a little meatier than the entry level missions to balance out those big fronts.

5. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yandros, there's another new forum member who would no doubt be interested in hearing your thoughts on the 7.1 setup. I've posted a probably unhelpful reply (as I have no experience with the Creative boxes), but you can probably answer his questions.

Until I can find the posting, you may like to look out for Bluelaser... :)

6. nagurum1974

nagurum1974
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hai guys.thanks for the members in the forum.iam new to the world of home cinema.i advice about the speakers.i bought a yamaha rxv receiver.and presently connected to the samsung 5.1 surround speakers.i dont know whethere it suits the amp r not.i dont hear the surrond sound in low volume(-30db).anybody advice me to get a good surrond in low volume.thanks all