What All in One for Everything (Budget £250)

Searcher73

Standard Member
Reaction score
I purchased the Sony DAV230 All in one system recently however I didn't expect myself to be as naive I have been and assumed half decent modern systems would have all the relevant connections required to watch up scaled DVD's, Virgin connected via HD and the option of connecting my 360 to receive good sound. However 360 not as important as the other 2 but would be nice.

Have I learned a lesson or what, 1x HDMI socket (but this was not a problem as I have a Thor - 2 Way Automatic HDMI Selector) 1 x scart and thats about it. No audio inputs/outputs or optical? (Although I do not actually know what the later is for) so no surround sound for me when watching cable.

Disappointed or what considering I have had cheaper systems in the past do what I asked them to do basically because they had all these connections.

Good news for me is that I will be able to offload my 2 month old system for around £120 and I can replace this with a new system that will meet my requirements.

This is where your advice and suggestions are required.

My 37" LG LCD has 1 x HDMI however I have the splitter, I want my Virgin and my new all in one system to connect via HD. The new system preferable will be a Sony again and I have been looking at the Sony DAV-DZ630 but this looks very similar spec to my DAV230 and so far I can't identify if this will do what I want.

Another requirement although trivial is that the system is black/silver trim as this will be similar to the rest of my eqpt.

The reason I would prefer another Sony is due to my speaker wires being behind skirting, walls, beading etc etc, which will allow me to hopefully use the same connections and the new wires can be sold with the old system.

I hear people saying why the hell did you put behind these there in the 1st place if you were going to change it all but the honest truth was I didn't intend changing this and was content with sound from the TV, however, after 2 months and due to having surround sound with previous set-ups for cable and Sky I bloody miss it.

I will probably spend maximum £250 for this new system so suggestions are welcome.

And Yes I have learned a valuable lesson not to assume purchasing systems that looks ok from a decent brand will do everything I want it to.

Oh and the sooner I get this new system installed the sooner I can complete my modest decorating project that I will post in the DIY section for anyone who is interested.

Thanks

you would quite possibly be better off,moving from an All-in-One,to a receiver/speakers package.
more inputs,for your needs now,and in the future.
oh,and Sony do make some packages:smashin:

plenty of posts here,to check out,regarding different manufacturers,and specs.

Ye but limited to around £250 to purchsae separates would I really achieve what I want with brand and style etc.

I have been hunting madly though the forum searching and this did cross my mind but I always go back looking at to all in one systems

Just received a call minutes ago, thats the sale confirmed so back to the hunt.

Feel free with your recommendations or other ideas.

Ye but limited to around £250 to purchsae separates would I really achieve what I want with brand and style etc.

Yes.
Sony HT-DDW790/890.
Sony HT-SF1100.
Sony T-SS1100.

all roughly around your budget,and all would do what you need.
various topics on this forum on all these systems/info on these systems exist.
just search the first few pages or use the search engine.

But these do not have DVD players or am I missing something. Remember my currewnt DVD player is up for sale.

Ok Play.com have the Sony HT-SS1100 at £219.99 which leaves me £30 for a DVD Player which I just wouldnt do. However I do have a spare LG dvd recorder LG DR175 which has not been used as this was a freebie with my TV.

Can some one explain how the Sony HT-SS1100 which has the following specs listed uses the following:-

# HDMI Switcher (2-in, 1-out)
# HDMI: Up to 1080i

Does this still mean you require a DVD player with HDMI Connections connected to it to use this? As my LG doesnt have these connections.

Am I being naive here and missing the point somewhere and that due to new HDMI connections etc that all-in-ones are no longer set up the way they used to?

Can anyone recommend a good all-in-one system for around this price, and it doesn’t necessarily have to be a Sony system?

TBH I would prefer an all in one system but I will not limit myself to this option but I would like to hear what other all-in-one systems others are using to achieve what I want.

Don’t get me wrong I am still interested in separates but remember my budget can only stretch to £250 max and I will obviously need another DVD player with hdmi connections to upscale etc.

I have noticed Play.com currently have the Sony HT-DDW790 for £179 however what price are we talking for a decent DVD player with HDMI connections? Or are there better systems out there I should be looking at?

A popular one at the moment is the Samsung HT-TX35R (huge thread on this forum) - I have just ordered one for £212 minus a voucher I have.

It has an upscaling DVD player, 4 tallboy speakers that can be altered in size and an optical output for SkyHD and my 360..

A popular one at the moment is the Samsung HT-TX35R (huge thread on this forum) - I have just ordered one for £212 minus a voucher I have.

It has an upscaling DVD player, 4 tallboy speakers that can be altered in size and an optical output for SkyHD and my 360..

Ye I was looking at this also but I thought it was home theatre only and required separate DVD player so this gives me another option, thanks.

Where have you purchased from and how did you go about the voucher you mentioned?

Ordered from DABS and the voucher was sent to my old email address - it's not a code it is account specific and just there if you are due one...

Ordered from DABS and the voucher was sent to my old email address - it's not a code it is account specific and just there if you are due one...

Cheers, will serious consider this option but would rather have a system without tallboys.

Like I say, you can make them smaller (half size) - see the big post - unless you aren't bothered about bigger speakers at all...?

In which case, I think you can get the 30R model with smaller speakers for £150! See the other post, second to last or last page I think - this is exactly the same apart from the speakers

Like I say, you can make them smaller (half size) - see the big post - unless you aren't bothered about bigger speakers at all...?

In which case, I think you can get the 30R model with smaller speakers for £150! See the other post, second to last or last page I think - this is exactly the same apart from the speakers

Ye I seen that also but I had those curved speakers years ago and hate the style, trivial I know but its one of those things. :(

except theres no optical input thingy on the 30R (whereas there is one on the 35R) means no 5.1 sound from sky. I could be wrong. But this is the main reason ive decided against getting the 30R.

edit my mistake its the 25R which doesnt have this (i think or maybe im just getting confused with another system)

yeh,that has an optical,it tells you that on the page that its on,along with all the other inputs it has.
but the rear speakers are not wireless.
you will need to have them plugged into the mains,and there are wires between them,and the "receiver/transmitter" box,that accompanies them.

and one piece of advice,is get to a bricks & mortar store,and check them out..listen to them,play with them,before you buy.
dont just go on the word of someone here...it may not be to your taste,or sound anywhere near what you would like.

yeh,that has an optical,it tells you that on the page that its on,along with all the other inputs it has.
but the rear speakers are not wireless.
you will need to have them plugged into the mains,and there are wires between them,and the "receiver/transmitter" box,that accompanies them.

and one piece of advice,is get to a bricks & mortar store,and check them out..listen to them,play with them,before you buy.
dont just go on the word of someone here...it may not be to your taste,or sound anywhere near what you would like.

Ye I hear what you are saying but please advise me what I am looking for as I am still confused when it comes to connections etc, does the all-in-one require optical connections?

Or is this only 1 option?

What other description should I look for in the specs?

Diixons is quite clear as this tells you yes/no for Digital outputs

i.e. Allows the unit to send digital signals to another unit / system without losing the digital quality

Also, I am still considering your other suggestions but if I purchase a separate system for around £200 - £220 how much should I spend on a DVD player, any suggestions?

so you have virgin HD? yes.
you also have a 360,is that normal premium version,or the hdmi enabled elite version.i.e:white or black?...and you want a dvd player,as well,all this is correct?
what model is your tv..that would help as well,as im wondering if your tv,has component inputs too..1 hdmi and a scart seems a little low on the inputs side.
plus,how are you going to connect the 360 to the tv,if it has no inputs?? with a scart,it would look quite poor,as opposed to component,or vga,unless its the elite,and that connects using hdmi.

so you have virgin HD? yes.
you also have a 360,is that normal premium version,or the hdmi enabled elite version.i.e:white or black?...and you want a dvd player,as well,all this is correct?
what model is your tv..that would help as well,as im wondering if your tv,has component inputs too..1 hdmi and a scart seems a little low on the inputs side.
plus,how are you going to connect the 360 to the tv,if it has no inputs?? with a scart,it would look quite poor,as opposed to component,or vga,unless its the elite,and that connects using hdmi.

My TV is the LG 37LC2DB, and I have Virgin HD currently connected to this via a Thor 2 way splitter which allows me to connect my Sony All in One system. I have the white 360 that is connected with component cables provided with the xbox.

The TV has 1 x hdmi, 2 scarts, 1 other scart type connections, it obviously has the component connections however the side also has AV IN 4 connection which has not been used before for anything. Hopefully this helps.

so really,you need an all-in-one system,with hdmi out,and at least 1 optical in,for the 360,and/or the virgin box as well.
1 x all-in-one system,with hdmi out.

what about this:
the samsung HT-TX30R:
http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/sto...duct&fm=12&sm=1&tm=2&sku=021058&category_oid=
its on sale at £199,but with this code:NHS2222 you will get 5% off as well,and it should be available to pick up in your local store.

the only other thing you would need is 3 of these:
http://www.kenable.co.uk/product_in...d/653?osCsid=e7de199398613dfab789d1dc363f7b3e
they are 1 metre ones,but they come in 2 metre,and 3 metre,as well.
and 1 of these:
http://www.kenable.co.uk/product_in.../1015?osCsid=e7de199398613dfab789d1dc363f7b3e
thats a splitter,so you can feed your xbox 360,and virgin audio into the surround system,for true 5.1 sound.

Ye we discussed that one earlier but the speakers are putting me off this system, is simply detest the curved tops on these speakers, as mentioned before trivial but it's one of those things.

I may bite the bullet and get the Samsung HT-TX35Rwith tallboys mentioned in the other threads but again the tallboys put me off as I would prefer the speakers to be more discreet.

you could put the speakers on their sides,that way they would match up with the centre,and no curved tops any more!!!:rotfl:

if you did go for the 35R,you would still need the cables and splitter i linked to.
30R and 35R are the same unit,but different speakers is all.

you could put the speakers on their sides,that way they would match up with the centre,and no curved tops any more!!!:rotfl:

if you did go for the 35R,you would still need the cables and splitter i linked to.
30R and 35R are the same unit,but different speakers is all.

Lets say you were attempting to acheive what I want with a limited budget and were swinging towards separates. Now bear in mind the budget but lets increase this to £300 as I may offload the LG DVD recorder which is virtualy brand new and surplus to requirements.

Whats separate system and DVD player would you go for this new budget? and 1 final question, with the DVD player, what connections are required?

i would go for either a sony or a yamaha receiver.
connect the virgin hdmi video up to it(if its a sony),and the virgin optical audio as well/digital coax if its not optical.
if its the yamaha receiver,then just audio to the surround,and hdmi video from virgin box to tv.
with the sony receiver,you can feed 2 hdmi video in,and only need 1 hdmi lead from receiver to tv.
for dvd player,and xbox 360,you could connect both to the receiver,with component leads,and optical leads/digital coax for the dvd player,and then have 1 set of component leads from receiver to tv.
still you would have (in the case of the sony receiver),1hdmi free,and 1 component free,and in the case of yamaha,1 component free.
but with both systems,you would have plenty of more av inputs,for cd players,ipods,etc..
plus the ability to chop and change equipment as you need.

upscaling isnt really important,as you may find feeding in standard quality,and letting the tv,do the upscaling to its native resolution,better than the dvd player doing it.
so for you,a dvd player,if you went for the sony,could/should have 1 x hdmi out,1 x optical/digital coax out.
or in the case of the yamaha,if the dvd player had component out,then substitute that for hdmi.

and not to be a brand hog,i was extremely surprised at tesco's £22 technika dvd player,which had component video out,as well as digital coax/optical too..
the quality of the component feed on it was outstanding,and surprised me.
it was bought for the kids room,and after seeing what it was like on my big tv,i connected it up to thieir tv,with component leads.
a far cry from scart quality thats for sure,and multi-region too.

i would go for either a sony or a yamaha receiver.
connect the virgin hdmi video up to it(if its a sony),and the virgin optical audio as well/digital coax if its not optical.
if its the yamaha receiver,then just audio to the surround,and hdmi video from virgin box to tv.
with the sony receiver,you can feed 2 hdmi video in,and only need 1 hdmi lead from receiver to tv.
for dvd player,and xbox 360,you could connect both to the receiver,with component leads,and optical leads/digital coax for the dvd player.

Remember I have the Thor HDMI Splitter so I would want to take advantage of this, after all it cost £40-£50 so I would like to connect the DVD player via the extra HDMI socket.

and not to be a brand hog,i was extremely surprised at tesco's £22 technika dvd player,which had component video out,as well as digital coax/optical too..
the quality of the component feed on it was outstanding,and surprised me.
it was bought for the kids room,and after seeing what it was like on my big tv,i connected it up to thieir tv,with component leads.
a far cry from scart quality thats for sure,and multi-region too.

TBH I woud probably be a brand man here and purchase something slightly more expensive with a HDMI connection.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom