1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What aerial cable from roof antenna to splitter to sockets?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by thierry_s, Sep 30, 2005.

1. thierry_s

thierry_s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi there,

All started when I realised the picture and sound through Freeview were sometimes horrible, picture pausing, weird sound spikes. I've read numerous posts on AVForums about using quality cables, in particular shielded, so as to prevent "spark" parasites in the digital terrestrial signal.

I've just received my Mark Grant cable (ordered here) to replace the cheap "free" aerial cable that connect the wall socket to the Freeview box. Will try that tonight and let you know if things are better.

Now, another thought. There's an antenna on the roof. There's a cable coming down from it outside of the house (dangling of course since the builder didn't bother attaching it to the wall), into the front corridor cupboard (where all the electricty meters are, with the very fat electricity cables), where a splitter/amplifier is fitted. The 4 outputs feeds the 4 flats in this converted Victorian house. All cables seem to be standard white aerial cable.

I have no idea what sort of cable is used for the antenna-to-splitter connection. How do I check (do I have to cut through it!?) ? Will it make a difference if I was spending time and money to replace it with a better shielded cable (assuming the builder did it cheaply)?

What about the splitter? it's in a cupboard full of power cables and electricty meters. I've read that it might affect the signal. I have not much choice here though. Any options? leave it as it is I guess.

What I'll do will of course depend on what the wall socket-to-freeview box upgrade will do. If it sorts all my problems, then, no need for anything else!

Rgds,
    Thierry

2. thierry_s

thierry_s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well... the new cable between wall socket and freeview box seems to have improved things in particular on BBC1 and 2, which were badly affected. I still have horrible things in the picture and sound on music channels in particular, or is it just coincidence...

3. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    You need CT100 from the aerial to the wall