What adapter to create standard hotshoe foot on Sony AX100 ?

Merlin

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,
So now given the situation below, I adopt the only way, some DIY ! I need a standard hotshoe foot of plastic I can carve up to fit, I need it to have a knurled ring to screw down for tight fit, and atop a standard metal hotshoe.

Suggestions please., what hotshoe fitting gives this start point for me to doctor ?

I have one with plastic foot and a knob at side that locks it in a tilt position, but its forever sliding out of hotshoes, hence my preference for a locking down ring.

Nightmare...Sony AX100E has a non standard 14.5mm width slotted hotshoe with docking of a foot being a downward then forward action. This is deliberate by Sony to force owners to bin their expensive Rode Video mics, or Sennheisers., but instead it is denying existing mic owners the choice of buying this decent full manual control ND filter camcorder with 12x (24x menu option StableShot ) and hopefully decent focusing hi end camcorder.
I want this for airshow filming and my existing rode is a quality bit of kit, suspended with silicone rings, self powered and with a thick hairy coating coping but just with airfield winds and giving better sound than plugins such as Sony.

I simply need an adapter that slots into this offbeat hotshoe and provides a standard width and design hotshoe on its top surface. 18.7mm wide. Allowing quality mics fitted to a quality camcorder.

I wish to buy this camcorder but until I find a simple way of attaching my very directional well furred up long haired Rode video mic, I am stuffed. I will not give into Sony tactics and have to buy their small mic and reduce my audio quality.

No one has created an adapter to allow thousands of Rode and Sennheiser owners to fit their standard shoe mics though, it seems. The ADP-MAC adapter creates another 14.5mm wide hotshoe on top, for ...Sony products !!!

I google this and folk are pondering on what mic is best to fit, well they need to first of all consider the fact that nothing will fit !

Merlin

Last edited:
[
Nightmare...Sony AX100E has a non standard 14.5mm width slotted hotshoe with docking of a foot being a downward then forward action. This is deliberate by Sony to force owners to bin their expensive Rode Video mics, or Sennheisers., but instead it is denying existing mic owners the choice of buying this decent full manual control ND filter camcorder with 12x (24x menu option StableShot ) and hopefully decent focusing hi end camcorder
Sony have been playing this trick on customers for years. My first camera was a Hi-8 Sony and I was tied to buying their kit if I wanted any accessories. I changed to Canon and then to Panasonic and have never looked back.
There are many better cameras on the market without the limitations put on to customers by Sony. Walk away and research the market. Panasonic's HC-X1000E for example.

Terfyn has a L-T hate held for Sony and it's something you accept or quietly deny (as in my case)...their CX410 comes with a USB lead to transfer files (presumably) - but it isn't able to fit USB . . . so Sony has to provide an adaptor to convert Sony-USB into genuine USB . . .mad, or what?

As far as an external mic is concerned: as Yours is for serious recording, - I'd favour something that attaches to the tripod and is somewhat sturdy . . . esp as you say your mic-holder has the necessary rubber-supports.
+By keeping the mic slightly away form the camcorder you should eliminate any "operational noise" - so NOT attempting to use a Hot-shoe adaptor is probably a very good thing.

The AX100 has a useful built-in ND filter, but I guess this is not particularly useful for Airshows; where a polarising filter might give better sky-rendering, (depending on the sun's angle, etc.).

+Can you confirm you are using a tripod - and could build a suitable perch for the mic?
+Do I understand the shotgun is inside a Blimp - could this be too heavy for a hot-shoe adaptor . . . so a sturdy DIY-crafted-bracket will be far more suitable.

Cheers.

Terfyn has a L-T hate held for Sony and it's something you accept or quietly deny (as in my case)...their CX410 comes with a USB lead to transfer files (presumably) - but it isn't able to fit USB . . . so Sony has to provide an adaptor to convert Sony-USB into genuine USB . . .mad, or what?
But Harry you made my point, what Sony do is not just mad it is just so self centered. With other manufacturers you can go on the open market and buy the best equipment you can afford and know it will work. Now you can even get third party batteries for Panasonic. (not that you needed them as the cameras are USB compatible) We should not need to buy adapters or hot shoe converters just because Sony insist on doing things their own way.
I'm not denying that Sony make good kit but so do the other manufacturers. I have never regretted my move from Sony.

I agree Terfyn and there's another reason I'm not buying Sony AX range - only the AX100 appears to have built-in ND filters, & at well over £1k it's too expensive for a limited-zoom model . . . and I'm still unclear about the availability of BOSS stab. in 4K-mode . . . it's far from clear in the PDF. I wonder why they'd not pay attention to such an important detail?
However, Pana are now outoffavour, with their repeated Cashback promotions . . . at least one Suppliers raised their price £100 to make the Offer; so I suspect this is PANA attempting to kill-off sales via discounter outlets.
However, for a bonus, ( when this cashback finishes), I'm hoping their camcorder will include ND filter(s) in the New Year. Odd that Pana include this in some Stills models; when most customers will jack up the shutter-speed (Stills) -or- ignore shallow DoF anyway, in movie-mode. Yes I know I can add filters but it's messy.

Back to the Mic-issue - IMHO on-camera external mics are not really that much improvement . . . a separate bracket off the tripod is far more sturdy and g'tees the fluffy stays out of the WA frame.

Good Thoughts & Cheers.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom