What actual difference do front Tallboy speakers make??

davidcrofter

Hiya folks, I have a Samsung 5.1 Home Cinema System with Tallboy front speakers and I am amazed at the clarity of the speech even in stereo from the front Tallboy speakers. I am now looking to upgrade to something with a bit more ease of use as I find the Samung fiddly - I am slightly worried that going for simple shelf speakers I may actually lose a bit of performance.

Here are my options:
Yamaha YHT598 @ £349
Yamaha YHT598

Yamaha YHT598 @ £299
Yamaha YHT398 Black | 5.1 Package System inc Speakers excluding DVD Player | Richer Sounds

My question is would I lose much clarity going to the smaller front speakers as that is what I am really wanting as opposed to killer sound - space is tight and if I could get away with the smaller speakers without compromising performance I would love that ...

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Since most of the vocals comes from the centre speaker (takes around 60% of the total sound output) I doubt the tallboys will have that much impact on it. Also the tallboys from most all in one systems are just glorified satelite speakers with an inbuilt stand so again will lose nothing by going for a normal satelite speaker.
In general all in one systems are much lower quality than an AV receiver based system hence you are more likely going to improve sound quality with one of the systems you mention as opposed to reducing sound quality.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom