What action should I take now...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Scuttlerx, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Scuttlerx

Scuttlerx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Im in a tricky situation with a company I brought a TV off, story goes like this...

Tv eventually arrived after 2 weeks (in stock and website said 5 days max) and with a no-show on previous Saturday delivery (very annoying! not even a phone call to say they werent coming).

When I unpacked the TV it had blatant signs of being a re-furb/ex-display/pre-owned, small marks all over, couple of screws missing from the back, guarantee in manual filled out with purchase date of oct 2004! To top this all off the sound stopped working after about half hour of use. I emailed straight away as it was a weekend and phoned first thing monday morning requesting a refund, ok no prob was the answer and I also got an email saying will be contacted in 48 hours to resolve issue.

Now my problem is it has been 10 days, and the only contact I have had is when I phone them, and I get through to sales (which is only person you can speak to) and keep getting told returns department will contact me shortly. Aside from the fact i've got a fapping great box stuck in my lounge I cant get a refund until they pick up the TV.

What should my next step be? I have emailed saying I will have to take further action if they dont sort it soon, but not sure what action to take!

Surely there must be a time limit set by trading standards or someone with regard to this type of situation, I have even offered to return it myself as my Dad drives near their distribution centre for work but got told no and not to worry they will pick it up....Getting very fed up to say the least, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated :lease:

cheers

Andy

2. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    what is the name of the company, and how did you hear of them?
    internet/mailorder etc

3. blicky_1

blicky_1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +516
    Was going to ask the same thing so that others can avoid!!

4. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +346
    If it was bought with a credit card, and the card was from one of the big boys, barclaycard halifax american express ect., ask them to get involved on your behalf.

5. Scuttlerx

Scuttlerx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    They are an internet company........www.dvdplayers.co.uk

Initially seemed ok, but then all this happened :rolleyes:

Before I get accused of slander/libel etc, I only think the tv is a re-furb/ex-disp/etc due to the signs, serial number in the manual is different to serial number on back of tv so not sure what to make of that.

The reason I am returning is because of the fault and my issue is the amount of time it is taking to collect/refund

6. Scuttlerx

Scuttlerx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Yeah was brought with an Egg card...how long before I should get them involved, dont want to jump the gun so to speak and have a lot of un-neccesary aggro

7. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Jump the gun, better to start down the get the card company involved route and then retract if all is taken care of,if you do leave it to late you will have no recourse,just off to check out that site

8. Iratus

Iratus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Inform your credit card company and tell them that the goods aren't fit for sale and that you cannot get a refund from them.

Immediately after that e-mail the full complaint to your local trading standards office, copy the company in on the e-mail.

You'd be surprised how quickly they will respond now. If they don't respond fairly sharpish your credit card company will refund you themselves and take the issue up with the trader in the courts of our good Queen.

For reference technically you don't have to have the product back in their hands to get a refund. All the distance selling regulations say is that you have to inform them you wish to return it within 7 days of receipt and inform them of that. which you have. The only caveat is that the specific condition of return is that the goods aren't fit for the purpose for which they bought. Any terms and conditions the trader may quote saying otherwise would be void under the distance selling regulations as they cannot make conditions that countenance the regulations.

9. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +396
    ASAP I would say, before that company closes down...

10. Scuttlerx

Scuttlerx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Superb, thanks for the information chaps, very helpful indeed.

With that distance selling regulation in mind, would a good plan of action be to phone them in the morning and quote this to them requesting an immediate refund, if its a flat no make the next phone call to the credit card company and get things moving

11. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +346

Well I would phone the credit card company, then the internet company telling them about trading standards ect. Then phone the creditcard company again telling them the results of your converstaion.

12. Scuttlerx

Scuttlerx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    ok mate, sounds like a better plan, will do! I think they are 24 hours i'll send if I can get past the automatons....

Failing that does anyone wanna buy a tele?:devil:

13. Scuttlerx

Scuttlerx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Just got through and have put in a dispute, they will be calling me sometime tomorrow. A lot happier now cheers for the advice all.

BTW, a quick commendation to Egg, extremly friendly and helpful staff, even got chatting plasmas for a while :)

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Scarily you may find the CS rep is a member of this site, make copies of all emails printouts and paperwork and be prepared to fax them to Egg, Write a letter to the company (not an email) and inform them of the action you have taken ie called emailed faxed them send it recorded delivery and keep a copy, good idea to get a neighbour to witness you signing the letter and the copy (get them to sign the copy as witness) you have then informed them of the failures, they can get arsey if they claim you havent given them chance to respond so print copies of the emails you sent them and the time stamp they were sent if possible.

PS good Luck

15. Scuttlerx

Scuttlerx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    All the emails I have sent are still on here so I will keep hold of them and make them available like you said.

Have a copy of invoice on comp handy too, and i'll get to writing that letter. Cheers :)

16. Scuttlerx

Scuttlerx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Should be getting a phone call tomorrow to say what time they are collecting it Saturday :smashin:

Had the credit card people phone me back today, but they cant do anything until it has been returned, which is the what the problem is/was! Once its returned I dont envisage any further problems so hopefully all will be sorted soon, they are there for back-up if needed though.

They did recommend get someone to look at it and make a report to prove its faulty but I havent got time to do this

Thanks for the helpful advice on this thread, be handy stuff to keep in mind for the future.

Cheers

Andy