1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What about this UPS?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Comer, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Would this UPS be OK for a projector? I know this has been discussed before but not regarding this particular unit

Thanks

Conor

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks OK but I wouldn't suggest watercooling it :D .

:smoke:

3. sbowler

sbowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +487
    Yes, I have been thinking of the same thing to protect the pj in case of power outage. It should provide plenty of time to power down the pj. check out the maplins electronics site under ups power supplies, they have one for £30. Has anyone had the misfortune to experience a power cut whilst there pj was running. and if so what were the effects on the bulb. if any.

4. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I think that's very good advice :D

5. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You mainly need a UPS during storms, so if you leave it in the garden (with a suitably long extension) you'll get the benefit of watercooling when you need it most, with none of the hassles. Ofcource if you have a pond it's even better.

6. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Where was all this good advice when I tried watercooling my PC?

7. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I would like to point out you have to take the run time with a pinch of salt.

a 500w device in reality is likely to get 3 mins from that power rating in real time. What power rating is your projector?

8. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I'd have thought it was obvious leaving your PC outside is foolish. I mean, where would you get keyboard and mouse cables that long? And think about the hassle of changing the DVD. Nope, better to put it in the shower.

9. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You only need enough time to get the PJ shut down, and as soon as the lamp if off the rest of the cool down cycle is just a fan or two.

10. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    My ikkle AE100 has been subject to multiple power trips in my parents house where the electricity goes off whenever somebody has a shower + washing machine on + my 3 PC's on and then somebody plugs in a hair dryer or something. Happened at least 4 times in one month when i was there last. PJ was fine but I was probably lucky.

11. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I can't comment on that particular model (so skip the rest if you wish) but:

I bought an APC 500VA (model no. BK500EI) as I wasn't at all sure about how much battery reserve was enough. It was about £60, which compared with the cost of a new bulb is, IMO, worth it. There hasn't been a power cut yet so can't say how it works with the pj attached, but I did test it by cutting the power supply with a small stereo attached to the UPS and it carried on fine.

One other thing I have noticed is that it seems to improve picture quality (the UPS does some form of power filtering, perhaps that's what does this?); there is less noticeable VB for a start and less 'noise' - admittedly it was hard to see anyway but is now almost non-existent.

I think I might have gone overkill on the UPS, but for the sake of an additional £10 over the one lower down the range, I'd rather err on the side of caution (and yes, I know that's how they make their profits!).

12. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I have also heard this about a UPS improving picture quality (reducing VB). I will let people know if this is true in my case when the ups arrives on Wed or Thrs

We only get very short interrupts to our power (for about 1 or 2 seconds) and this is what I want the UPS to gaurd against. If we have a longer power-cut all I would need is a minute or two to shut down the projector.

13. Neil in Bristol

Neil in Bristol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I borrowed a 800VA UPS from work today to see how well it worked with my projector. With a computer and projector connected (no separate monitor), I got about 2 minutes out of the battery backup when I tested it.

Obviously, with the computer shut down, and the PJ switched to fan only, it's likely to last quite a lot longer.

I'm no expert, but based on this, I'd suggest 800VA as a minimum if you're running both a computer and projector, or maybe 500VA for just a projector. You might get away with less if you can get the projector switched off quickly when the power fails, but there's not much point in having a UPS unless you can be sure it's going to do what you need it to!

Hope this is of help to those planning to buy.

14. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    A last thought.. you also need to factor in the cost of a small torch and batteries to find the pj power off switch....