1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What about the PANASONIC TH-50PV500.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by jolaca, Jun 28, 2005.

1. jolaca

jolaca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI, I am thinking of buying a Plasma. :) I know that the favourite over here right now is the Panasonic TH42PV500. I am sure it will be very nice but its resolution does not convince me (similar to other 42" plasmas 1024x768, not 1:1 HD, although HD compatible). :rolleyes:
    So my question is: I know the 50" Plasma is much bigger and is more expensive but, have any of you purchase it or seen it, is it worth the extra resolution (1366x768, real HD) or as it is bigger it's not noticeable.
    Well, thanks in advance for any answer and sorry for my bad english. :hiya:

2. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Until we start getting 1920 x 1080 HD material to watch (don't hold your breath) I think it unlikely you'll be able to notice the difference in resolution.

3. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    a 50" Panny or Fuji XHA40US have exceptoinally sophisticated scaling processors that upscale and also digitally enhance the picture to near HD quality ... so the answer is yes it does make a huge difference upscaled to native resolution of 1366 x 768.

4. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +825
    1024 x 768 is true HD because it has at least 720 lines. I don't believe any 42"/43" plasmas have more than 1024 pixels horizontal resolution - unlike LCD, there's not enough room. More is generally better. so if you want more, you have to go up to 50" and pay for it, unfortunately. I don't believe the TH50PV500 is actaully available, yet, anyway. Having seen the 42PV500, I'm sure it would be worth waiting for.

5. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ....and decide if you want a TV or a display..this willeffect your purchase..e.g. a PV500 is plug and play with a tuner TV - the upcoming PHD8 is a display only.

6. mattliley

mattliley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lesson: Well... Because the pioneer 43" has such a massive amount of horizontal lines on a theoretically small screen, it has to upscale massively to accomodate the HD picture... Not good as the processors need to work harder in order to upscale the picture, thus streching the picture. Not good either... The panny 42PV500 is better as it doesn't have to do any work as it's 1024x768. We got the 42" panny in the shop linked up to a japanese rec pot which stores a true HD loop (running through HDMI to the plasma) and it looks stunning. I saw the pioneer in a shop in glasgow liked up with HD and i was not impressed... But that's just me...