1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What about the Hitachi???

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by JIMAKROS, Jul 4, 2002.

1. JIMAKROS

JIMAKROS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see that contrary to the american forum there is very little- to none , interest here for the Hitachi5500.I realize that a couple of people in the UK(and this forum) bought it and sent it back and that the projector was "buried"in the british specialty press.On the other hand in the US there are many people who "swear"by it or at least like it and many of them are experienced folks who know a thing or two about projectors.I 've seen this projector in Greece where i live and it was one of the "purple" ones.But i do not consider irresponsible so many people who recommend it over in the US and i'm sure that to have a powerbuy over there and report that the projector is excellent and some saying they dont even see any purple they certainly are not crazy.So what does all this mean?I think it simply means that they get good units over there and in europe we get the bad ones.What does Hitachi europe has to say about all this?Also if some american specialty dealer managed to get purple-free units for it's customers shouldn't somebody around this continent try to do the same?

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    You've probably read my post about the Hitachi 5500, I had such high hopes, yet the projector was useless. I would bare in mind that the units sold for HT use in the US are hand picked, the other thing to look at is the AVS forum members that truely know what they are talking about and have properly seen it in action didn't rate it at all. Just make sure that you work out a good returns agreement before makeing the jump.

Jeff

3. JIMAKROS

JIMAKROS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jeff.Yes i read your experience with it.It is no secret however that the owner of Avs Alan himself has one and recommended it
    to the mebers of the forum.Also when people like a member called thirdKind with whom i was talking lately and got one from
    the powerbuy say the dont see any purple i dont think they have any reason to lie or have problems of vision.Besides lets not forget that the retailer in question had a meeting with the Hitach i crew and even though they didnot announce anything officially i'm pretty certain they made some deal between them for some better units.

4. JIMAKROS

JIMAKROS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So my point is it seems this projector can exist without the purple.But i guess it's up to some Hitachi dealer to get it.Also i want to say that in the unit i saw the only problem was the purple.Other than that the unit was excellent.But the purple was VERY annoying.Also i want to mention that i have been a member of the greek forum for about two years now have seen many projectors ,owned some and i believe i can tell the problem of a unit.

5. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Originally when the Hitachi first came out Alan wouldn't touch them, Tom Strade also has had 3 of the things, all duff. The Dillard guy Mark also had one that pushed blue big time. A lot of novices bought the Hitachis and wouldn't know if they had a problem or not anyway. I'm sure that the newer hand picked projectors are much better and probably very good, but for every good unit there are probably another 2 bad ones that still have to be sold on to some lucky person. As well as the blue/purple push problem, there are also dead pixel and panel convergence issues to contend with. I sent emails to variuos projector suppliers and Hitachi stateing interest in the projector but had some concerns over some quality issues, I didn't get a single reply. I then tried my luck anyway and failed. I did get a full refund, but then I had previously bought another 6 projectors from the same supplier for my company. If I had been a regular first time customer would I have had the same treatment? Who knows?

6. JIMAKROS

JIMAKROS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok i understand your point and its very reasonable.I had the chance to see the unit i mentioned without buying it of course and
    i am kind of amazed that the dealer didnt send it back,instead they sent it around to create a bad impression of the projector.
    This attitude is very negative of course as what happened to you
    and i guess some brands are like that, other names have good dealers and will try to do what they can to help in such situations.I will keep trying to see if i can throw some light on this issue.