What about on the fly quick menu access...???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jserrent, Feb 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. jserrent

jserrent
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I've been using Onkyo Receivers for the last 10 yrs. and never imagined as HD Audio became more demanding how useful their quick menu feature is.
    With no 2 movies ever being exactly the same, Ive saved many a subwoofer by leaving the sub level active from the quick menu in the display, with the remote in my hand, in case an overzealous sonic boom passage hits when you don't know its coming... ( Fried a sub voice coil on Intersteller with the rocket liftoff, started off ok and then the signal went off the charts !...didn't have the remote in hand...Wow did that smell...!)
    Also the center volume is right next to it .. as that is the next culprit that occasionally drifts slightly up and down depending on the mix demands of the movie...

So my question is :

What other receivers offer something like this feature..??? I wouldn't mind trying out some new equipment... but missing a quick tweak to sub, center, global bass and treble is a deal breaker for me.
    Even with the best balanced system, depending on the authoring of the disk, these small adjustments are necessary, and you shouldn't have to dig or scroll through menu pages while the movie is rolling....

2. Dolus

Dolus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    That's like driving a car with the accelerator fully depressed and controlling the speed by riding the clutch and then wondering where that burning smell is coming from. :)

How can you possibly enjoy a movie with a menu on the screen and having be quick on the draw with the remote? :(

3. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +654
    Yamaha AVRs have a sub trim +/- 6dB, maybe most do. I have to ask what on earth you are doing where you feel you need to quickly save your system?
    Perhaps it just isn't properly balanced (sub level way too high) or running way to close to its limits all the time with a way under powered sub cranked to the max. Usually if a sub is being abused you can hear it slamming against its end stops long before it cooks.

4. jserrent

jserrent
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Well ...... I knew this would be the go to response from some...
    Why do this....???
    There are movies that indeed sometimes change particularly bass and center volumes periodically throughout the movie..
    If you've run the movie once .. you pretty much know where some of these spots occur ... and tweak...
    On the other hand there are movies that play from beginning to end and no adjustment is ever needed....

As to the screen menu .... has never been a problem...
    Running OPPO Bluray players with split outputs ... the tv runs direct from the OPPO... the sound is carried into the receiver on the second hdmi output...
    No screen menu .... just front receiver display... perfect...!!!

Example:
    Explosion screen at the end of Wonder Woman....
    The LFE sent out during that scene is beyond anything anywhere else in the movie .... So if you're riding along on a REAL sub setting with "feeling" for most of the movie and that scene hits ..... Even with light dynamic compression on .. the sub volume that's encoded on the disk at that point gets overwhelming ...... a slight tweak fixes it .... no problem...

Making small adjustments here or there is part of the hobby IMHO..... !?!? And when you do hit that magic movie that's encoded perfectly so that it plays from beginning to end and needs no adjustment ... it's like striking gold...!

I'm a professional musician ... keyboards ... multi amps mixers....etc....
    Every song has some kind of volume or EQ adjustments that occur during the song while it's being played....
    That's why there are multiple volume and EQ controls in reach.... or volume and tone controls on a guitar or bass...
    Just look at a PA mixing board....constantly under adjustment....

Anyway .... back to the question .... what other receivers offer some type of quick access menu similar to the Onkyo...?

5. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    Have a look at the Denon/Marantz models. Some have an Options Menu with direct access to Channel Levels, Tone Controls etc.

6. jserrent

jserrent
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks....

Ill have to see whether the Denon/Marantz options menus readout in the receivers display since the screen menu will not be used ...

Also...... follow up to my fried sub story.....

I found out after the burn up that someone else had left the Double Bass function toggled "ON"...
    So once the rocket lifted off/ blaring low C pedal pipe organ during Intersteller .... the sub never had a chance... JBL ES250 400W...about half way up..... Amp held together ... never flinched .... but the voicecoil was cooked....
    If I had the remote .... I might have saved it ....!?!?

As they say S**t Happens.....:facepalm:

7. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    When you press Option on the remote *Option appears on the front display with Channel Level underneath it. Press Enter on the remote and it then goes to C :< 0.0db> you then use the Left/Right arrow keys to adjust the levels up/down and the Up/Down arrow keys to go to the next speaker e.g. SW1, FL etc etc.

Some modes have different Options available depending on what settings you have enabled. Picture Mode, Tone Control, All Zone Stereo.

Channel Level is usually the first one though.

8. jserrent

jserrent
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'll look into that ..... thanks for the reply ...!

9. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,962
    It seems that the OP is talking about dynamic range in movies? They are mixed that way deliberately so that the peaks give a cinematic blast of sound, to make the viewer jump and add extra excitement to the experience.

Most AVR's have a dynamic range compression setting, so that you can smooth out these peaks, and lessen the dynamic range of the soundtrack. They are intended to be used late at night so that you don't disturb sleeping children / neighbours.

To me - they are the devils work, I want as much dynamic range as possible in my soundtracks!

But if not to everyone's taste, have a look in the manual for anything that talks about compressing or reducing dynamic range, and that might be more what you are looking for.

10. jserrent

jserrent
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    That's part of it ......

My 1st. Onkyo TX 600 something...when they first employed Audessey EQ. It turned the Dynamic Range Option OFF if you decided to turn Audessey OFF and went to manual settings, which you pretty much had to, because it got you close, but in a difficult room, just couldn't nail the EQ correctly .. ( got the distances right though )....
    So I ran Full Dynamic Range with the system and had to occasionally tend the Sub Vol. and the Center ....

My 2nd. and current Onkyo is a TX-NR727 .... Which changed the setting... and allowed you to move into manual settings while retaining Dynamic EQ, Dynamic Vol., as well as the global bass and treble tone controls all in the "quick menu" ..... In my situation, setting the Dynamic Vol. to Light solved most of the wider swings without sacrificing impact....
    But with the advent of HD quality audio on Bluray disks came better definition and in some cases way better dynamic range to the soundtracks.... and even when Dynamic Vol. is set to Light .. still needs an occassional 1 or 2 Db up or down for the Sub or Center depending on the rendering on the disk in spots.

Onkyo's New RZ series no longer uses Audessey.... No more Dynamic EQ or Dynamic Vol. settings.... Instead their new boast isn't WRAT amplification.... but High Dynamic Amplification....whatever that is ??? As long as it works..???
    But I've heard it and used an RZ8010 in another person's setup and find an overall sound unlike the TX or NR series... It doesn't seem to need the compression to remain balanced.... But I've not tried it out in my own setting...??

Any receiver using Audessey will still have the dynamic EQ and Dynamic Vol. That's why I wanted to know....for instance if the Denon or Marantz employed some type of "quick menu" feature for the occasional realtime tweak.... because you just never know...???

The only way the whole thing could be tamper proof is if the audio on a disk could be quickly pre-scanned for its loudest and softest passage... and the receiver set..... Then there should be no surprises.... But until that technology exists .....
    I Tweak Therefore I Am.....! :)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018