What About iOS 4??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butters

Prominent Member
Reaction score
All this excitement and buzz around iPhone 4 seems to have masked the OS4 launch.

So what time will it be available on iTunes & how bonkers is it likely to be before i can download it??

Also - as i have an IPhone 4 being delivered on the 24th what will be the best way to migrate from my GS?? Will it be to upgrade to OS4 on the GS then just do a restore from backup when the iPhone 4 arrives???

All this excitement and buzz around iPhone 4 seems to have masked the OS4 launch.

So what time will it be available on iTunes & how bonkers is it likely to be before i can download it??

Also - as i have an IPhone 4 being delivered on the 24th what will be the best way to migrate from my GS?? Will it be to upgrade to OS4 on the GS then just do a restore from backup when the iPhone 4 arrives???

Probably available around 6pm - doesn't really matter how you upgrade...you can restore from your latest backup when you get the i4 or upgrade your current phone and restore from that backup!

Since its just settings, eMails, calendar etc nothing is going to be incompatible with iOS4!

Probably available around 6pm - doesn't really matter how you upgrade...you can restore from your latest backup when you get the i4 or upgrade your current phone and restore from that backup!

Since its just settings, eMails, calendar etc nothing is going to be incompatible with iOS4!

Except my corporate calendar :(

So multi-tasking isn't actually full multi-tasking. Apparently certain apps continue to run in the background, but others just remain 'suspended' in their current state. Well the latter already happens in the current OS. Say I click home and come out of a news page. If I go back to the app which displays the news page, it will display the part of the news page where I left of. I don't see what changes.

So.... my news reader won't be able to update whilst I read my email for example... or whilst I play a game. This isn't the multi-tasking I was hoping for...

Multitasking on Apple's iPhone 4: How does it work? - iPod/iPhone - Macworld UK

So multi-tasking isn't actually full multi-tasking. Apparently certain apps continue to run in the background, but others just remain 'suspended' in their current state. Well the latter already happens in the current OS. Say I click home and come out of a news page. If I go back to the app which displays the news page, it will display the part of the news page where I left of. I don't see what changes.

So.... my news reader won't be able to update whilst I read my email for example... or whilst I play a game. This isn't the multi-tasking I was hoping for...

Multitasking on Apple's iPhone 4: How does it work? - iPod/iPhone - Macworld UK

As with all things Apple you get what Mr Jobs gives you and take it or leave it. I have a 3GS but their are some interesting Android phones coming out which re certainly worth a look.

The reality is we all except things from Apple that we would laugh at if some one else tried to do it e.g. non-replaceable battery, no expansion memory etc.

The iPad is the latest - no SD slot, no USB port, but until there is more effective competition we just have to bend over and take it :)

As with all things Apple you get what Mr Jobs gives you and take it or leave it. I have a 3GS but their are some interesting Android phones coming out which re certainly worth a look.

The reality is we all except things from Apple that we would laugh at if some one else tried to do it e.g. non-replaceable battery, no expansion memory etc.

The iPad is the latest - no SD slot, no USB port, but until there is more effective competition we just have to bend over and take it :)

You don't have to bend over and take anything, just don't buy an apple product, there are literally tens of thousands of alternatives. I never understand when people say...the iPhone/iPad doesn't have this or this. So what! don't buy it! It's that simple.

ios 4 seems to run ok on my 3G with backgrounds and multi-tasking enabled :)

I cant believe as standard are not enabling backgrounds on the 3g devices.

ios 4 seems to run ok on my 3G with backgrounds and multi-tasking enabled :)

Same here, only thing is apps don't close now when you click the home button, you need to go into the multi-tasking bar and close then from there.

Other than than, switch from o/s 3.1.2 to iOS4 was simple & painless and all is working fine :smashin:

Does the Tunein radio app run as multi task?

Edit: Just visited the link, it seems it does :)

I've gone to iOS4 on my 3g too and so far it's performing just fine with multitasking turned on via redsn0w!

If you want to beat the rush just upgrade itunes to 9.2 which has been officially realeased and then download the gold master for your device. Then hold shift when you click restore to select the iOS4 ipsw file.

Ben

Same here, only thing is apps don't close now when you click the home button, you need to go into the multi-tasking bar and close then from there.

I think the idea behind the new multitasking system is that you don't have to manually manage the state of your apps. You can close them that way if you choose, but otherwise it's unnecessary.

Steve Jobs said:
If you see a task manager - they blew it

Last edited:

They will if they are coded to make use of the multitasking API's, so it will be down to the developers.

I'm actually a fan of the new approach, i think it's very misunderstood at the moment and in time people will realise it's much better than an inefficient free-for-all.

Last edited:

Too right matey were all too stressed about getting one of the soddin things in our hands on launch day! I think the iOS4 threads will errupt Thurs onwards once we've all (fingers crossed) got the little blighter in our hands!! :smashin:

If you want to beat the rush just upgrade itunes to 9.2 which has been officially realeased and then download the gold master for your device. Then hold shift when you click restore to select the iOS4 ipsw file.

Ben

Where do you download this gold master?

I think the idea behind the new multitasking system is that you don't have to manually manage the state of your apps. You can close them that way if you choose, but otherwise it's unnecessary.

Which is why the 3g probably shouldn't have multitasking as you can run 7 apps at once but with limited memory it is only going to kill the phone really. Good thing about it however when you load a game you can easily get running apps dock and kill them off.

I absolutely love the folders but i am still finding the new features. I am using this which helps: iOS (Apple) version history - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Running this makes me want an iPhone 4 even more as i can imagine it runs 100% better than the 3G.

One annoying thing about being an early adopter is nothing jailbroken works, i have just edited a plist file to enable the battery % toggle as i was missing that.

Is the GM edition any different to the full release?

No, unless something catastrophic happens the public release will be identical to the GM (same build number).

Thats ok then, saves me the trouble of having to update tonight.

I was under the impression that will be released today will be different to the GM build. My thinking was that, didnt Steve Jobs say that Game Centre was a developer preview in OS4, and was to be released later in the year. Further evidence for this, is that on the GM build, when you go to Game Centre, the account section says **sandbox** at the top. So I would think the build we get today will have Game Centre removed

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom