what a waste of money !?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by jonnyv, Jul 5, 2004.

1. jonnyv

jonnyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I just realised what a waste of money my dvd collection is, most of the films i havnt watched more than once.

Why do you have a dvd collection, and do you get value for money from your collection ?

Give me a good reason for not selling the lot !

2. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,314
    My collection reached 400 plus about a year or so ago, and I came to same conclusion, so sold the lot to help pay for an upgrade. However I am now back up to 250 plus due to reviewing.

3. sjp1966

sjp1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have a DVD collection as i enjoy watching movies, some i go back to, some ive watched once and others i havn't watched yet even though i have had them a long time.

I do look at them sometimes and think what a waste of money, which is also what i did when i looked at my Star Trek Voyager series on VHS, i have the entire series and although the 1st 2 seasons i bought as ex rentals, all the others are bought from MVC, i think i paid between £11.99 and £12.99 a video and there is about 40/50 videos (plus the ex rentals) so im looking at about £600 for VHS Voyagers (what a waste of money) but i would probably only get about £80 for the lot on eBay

but that aside, i suppose anything can be a waste of money, your car, your music, your books, everything, if you analyse it that deeply.

By the way, how much to you want for your Collection :laugh:

4. jonnyv

jonnyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    if and when i sell them, i will put them on ebay or maybe try to sell them here first.
    I dont agree about car etc being a waste of money, i drive my car every day, listen to music every day etc etc..
    But my dvd's ive watched once, some twice.
    Also i have signed up at lovefilm.com to hire dvd's, split the monthly cost with mates and share the rental of the films, so i can choose what film to watch and send it back after viewing.

5. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I have to agree with Jonnyv to a point. I have a collection of around 400 DVDs and over 2000 CDs. I would say that 90% of my DVDs I have only watched once, which leaves 5% watched more than once, and 5% still unwatched. I would also guess that around half of my CDs have only been played once, as I tend to buy speculatively, in a never ending quest to discover new bands / artists, and that a good 90% of them, have not been played for over a year.

Yes, it's a waste of money, but you can't take it with you, and it's my hobby, which I enjoy, so sod it! :D

6. MC Hammer

MC Hammer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    It's a fair point to a degree & I'm sure most of us have bought a DVD & then thought why did I buy that ? I certainly have !

However,as long as you watch them once then you have got some value from them.
    For a normal film you are going to spend less on watching it at home then a night out at the cinema.That's unless you get all your DVD's at HMV !

Getting TV boxsets is a different matter ! However that again depends on how much you like the series !

Nevertheless you can say many things are a waste & in particular regarding entertainment.Watching a Premier football match live is going to set you back about £30 or more depending who you watch + expenses.Once it's gone it's gone & is that a waste ? Eating out etc ?

As for keeping them I probably do watch films more than once that I really enjoy.Even if it's once a year you are getting value out of a £15 or so DVD.With films I would & do watch again that probably amounts to only about a third of my collection & would be the only ones I would look to replace.The rest gather dust & sell & or trade as & when the fancy takes me.

7. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Its all about buying quality: form is fickle, class is permanent ;-) . Buy films you like (and not those that are in vogue: fashionable, then forgotten e.g 'Underworld'). You can't go wrong with renowned classics. I have 2 methods of buying:

1. Look for the classics of the cinema. http://www.imdb.com/chart/top http://www.geocities.com/aaronbcaldwell/top100movie.html http://www.bfi.org.uk/sightandsound/topten/ are an excellent places to start! I think if you dislike films like 'The Third Man', 'Lawrence Of Arabia' or 'The Godfather' then cinema is not your thing and you will waste your money whatever you buy! You can buy films like these unviewed IMO. I mean, you're hardly going to dislike Casablanca are you, even if you haven't seen it? Too many people fall into the trap of just buying modern films. Thats a poor rationale for dvd purchases. Look for the cream!!!! Not just whats visible at the time.

2. From having seen a film at the cinema or on tv etc that you really like (obviously).

8. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The reason why people collect things is to have something around which you love with the added security that it won't leave you.

Maybe!

9. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Been on the old Colombian itching powder again Monkey?

10. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    :rotfl: :rotfl: its going to turn into one of those discussions........why do we need DVDs, then we only really need food to stay alive why have such variety............and soon it will be whats the point of staying alive, wheres the sense in it, who created man and why ?

You will never know why you own DVDs...........no one ever does........trust me, its part of a giant masterplan....tell no one :nono:

11. Bender

Bender
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been thinking the same thing recently.
    I do tend to watch some films more than once, but most are watched once or possibly twice when I first get them, then they never see the light of day again.

The films I do watch several times are just a small hand full. So I could probably reduce my collection down to about 10 to 15 and not even notice. Some times I'll buy dvds just because they're a bargain (curse that Bargains & Special Offers forum ;) ) I'll like the film but it's not one I would have bought at a higher price.

One thing that is strange though. I may not make the effort to get a DVD out of it's box, but if there's a film I like broadcast on TV, I usually try to watch it, even though I've got on DVD. My wife always says "But you've got it on DVD or tape, why do you have to watch it?" Duno, strange that :confused: Anyone else do that, or is it just me?

12. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
    Got around 500 DVDs but now I record off Sky Movies mostly unless it is something really special I want to keep and have in 5.1

13. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    i wouldn't describe my collection as a waste of money, i think collections of anything could be described as a waste of money (Unless its valuable in the first place!*) But i didnt buy it to be valuable i bought because i love film and i love watching entire seasons of TV shows in a weekend.

i've thought about selling some of the titles that i bought in moments of madness, but the truth is that they aren't really worth anything. i could sell them privately but its not worth the hassle and to bulk sell it a store is madness as you got nowhere near what they are worth.

i could spend my money on getting wasted every weekend but i dont drink, i could smoke it but i stopped that (thanks Kevo :smashin: ) so what else would i spend it on? - useless crap i dare say. i'll be collecting film for sometime to come - i waited all my life for DVD a format to watch movies on that better than the silver screen at the odean.

Gary

* pls dont be perdantic about that point and mention great paintings or classic cars

14. dexter

dexter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I look at it like this - it costs about £15 for the wife and I to go to the local cinema. Add on top of that drinks, popcorn etc. and you get about £20. So instead I buy region 1 dvds (many out at the same time as in the cinema here) and spend about £11-14; plus I get to keep the film.

No brainer!

15. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I'll tell you what's a waste of money! Going out on a Friday or Saturday night with a bunch of mates, getting sh*tfaced on 8 - 10 pints of lager, followed by a Chicken Vindaloo, then throwing it all up on the pavement! :laugh: :laugh: And you get to feel like crap in the morning, to the bargain! :rotfl: Fortunately I don't do that sort of thing any more. [​IMG]

16. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,868
    yep....i've been selling my least watched ones off....

17. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Well i do agree with jonnyv to a point, and that's why i keep my DVD collection to about the 70-80 mark.

At least you get to watch then a few times, then have a clear out of the least watched ones. (Well unless they are your all time favorites)

I do tend to do the rental thing more these days, and just buy the films i think they'll be worth buying on a keep basis.

But then i go through the collection every 12 months, and sell on what get's the least play. (Just to make room for more discs !! :laugh: )

We all enjoy HT and everything that goes with it, and it's gotta be better than the beer / curry binge every weekend. At least with DVD's they are still there the next day !! :D

18. Lawe

Lawe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I look around this room know, I have about 250 - 300 in the collection. At one point a few months ago, it was nearly 600 before I went on a rampage!

I now have the collection split into 4 sections-
    1: My section (all the great films!)
    2: Wife section
    3: Son's collection - Only two and already bought out half of disney and Thomas!
    4: Why oh why did I buy it and not rent it :suicide:

While as some would say it is a waste of money, only those that belong to section 4 are totally right. All the others are for those times that you really want to sit down and enjoy your fav movie or tv moments.

19. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,043
    Yep i still do that a couple of times a month :D

As i have now purchased pretty much all the back catalogue titles that i want, well the ones that are on dvd anyway. Any new movies that i buy if i dont like them or know i wont watch them again then i try and get rid of straight away whilst they are still new so i can get top dollar for them.

I do however have some dvds at the moment that i havent watched for a while and deliberating with myself whether to get rid of them or not, this must equate to about 50 or more.

20. jeff-o

jeff-o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By all means, sell the ones you haven't watched in years. But keep the rest, only because you'll never get back what you paid for them, and you will miss them when they're gone.

21. jonnyv

jonnyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    i think i'll have a sort out and sell any i'm not likely to watch in the near future.

22. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    Here is the dilema.

I have around 450 dvds.(have not counted recently) I have been buying films on dvd pretty much since the format came out and was avalable in the high street. Pretty much all the films I have I like. I thought about selling a few but when trying to decide what to sell there was nothing that I wanted to get rid of :laugh:

Also. Once my little boy (who is only 2 and a half years old and for the record the light of my life, :) :) )has gone to bed , me and the misses normal try and what a movie. However we will stand infront of the dvd shelves in the living room and say "Well what do you fancy watching" after a few moments contemplaytion we end up watching something that we only saw a few weeks ago, or we cant decided as we both have different tastes.Infact it would seem that togetther at least we seem to watch the same 10 15 dvds over and over again.

Just a minuet what do I want the other 400 odd dvds for??? :laugh: :laugh:

23. dc007

dc007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I think more than one of us (including me) buy them because we want to see them (doh - obviously), but then keep them because they look nice on the shelf.

Man is a collector, a hoarder.

As others have said, £10-ish for a disc is pretty cheap when you compare it to two cinema tickets, and you get to keep it forever so you can see it again if you wish... AND it looks nice on the shelf :)

24. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    I look at it the same way as dexter, costs the same or less than two of us going to the cinema. I don't really watch much television so movies do get watched more than once, at least some of them do; also series like Buffy get multiple viewings.

Best value for money are StooMonster Junior's DVDs, which although count some 50 movies in total (Disney but no nasty cheap sequels, Wizard of Oz, Scooby Doo, etc.) have been watched dozens of times each by said three year old and will continue to be watched dozens of more times. StooMonster Junior prefers movies to television which also makes viewing easier to control, these DVDs are tremendous value for money and must cost pence per viewing.

StooMonster

25. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've got about 900 dvds. They're all valuable to me. I only buy quality (well, and quantity!). All the films I own are 'top-bombing'. I have no regrets, well, apart from 'Biggles: Adventures Though (in?) time'. :laugh:

The main point is remembering to buy quality. E.g. not buying crap like 'Swept Away' or 'Sex Lives Of The Potato Men'.

Make the next 2 films you buy on dvd 'Citizen Kane' and 'Vertigo', instead of some flaour of the month like 'Underworld' or 'Vertical Limit' :lesson:

26. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I've only got a 200 or so, but have a imposed £10 price limit (excluding sets) which has only been broken 3 times. However, when I look around my room, the space they take up is minimal compared to the 2500(ish) LP's and I've only played 4 of those this year. Some of the movies I've got have seen more plays than that in a month. Also series like BtV Slayer I'm on my 7th viewing of season 1 as I watch the whole series from start to finish with each new season I buy. In fact I enjoyed it so much I started again so it's now 8 times. Did the same with the Matrix, Terminator and have just gone through LotR first two films (7 hours in one sitting), but my copy of Return of the King is on back order, delayed for 2 weeks thus far, so I'll see them all again when that arrives. The best value does come from the animated movies which we watch with the children, lost count of how many times Shrek, Nemo, Ice Age....have been seen.

Paul

27. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I'm surprised you found time to have children!! :D :D

28. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,386
    Weird timing this thread, because with 400 dvds and barely any time to watch them, I find myself wondering why I have them all in the first place.

Even with time, I rarely watch movies more than once anymore, and the other thing is that within a couple of years we'll gradually start flogging them off anyway as the High Definition formats take hold. And if you're like me, that thought brings back thoughts of how much the old laserdisc collection cost :eek: :)

29. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Simon6776

The children came 1st, the DVD's are only a recent arrival. As for time - really depends how much sleep you need.

Paul

30. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,044
    While my collect is pretty modest (20-30 + Babylon 5 boxsets), i think the same way as dexter, and thats the reason i bought a PJ and HC in the first place. Being in London its more like £30 to go see a movie, plus the 2 hours to travel to and from the cinema, so what does this all add up to?

After a year or two my PJ will have paid for itself, but i have the bonus of a physical device (if its still working by then) plus a bunch of movies i have seen.

I cant say i agree with buying any old crap, but compared to going out its well worth it for the comfort, quality and economics!