• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What a flaming nightmare I've just had!

Advocate

I keep reading that a HDMI cable is a HDMI cable and that any one should do the job. However I've just spent the last two hours swapping cables about on my system as some seem to support 3D whilst others don't, some support 3D but not HDMI-CEC, some support neither, and some support both!

Can anyone recommend somewhere that I can buy some new HDMI cables that support 3D and HDMI-CEC? While I'm at it I may as ell buy cables that support ethernet over HDMI to save me having to replace them with future hardware upgrades.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
First, the support for CEC has always been present in HDMI cables, it was in the 1.0 specifications.
3D is simply about the data rate, any cable specifically marked "High Speed" is capable of supporting it.
I have bought from www.tvcables.couk before, they sell decent High Speed with Ethernet cables.
Ignore anything abotu better blacks, richer colours etc. The HDMI organisation (HDMI) introduced Standard Speed and High Speed marking to help consumers make reasonable choices.

Advocate

Thanks for the reply Trollslayer. I definitely have at least one HDMI cable here that, when connected to my 3D blu-ray player supports 3D but the TV doesn't recognize any device through HDMI-CEC, very strange, and frustrating.

I've resigned myself to replacing all of my HDMI cables with decent ones, so thanks for the links :)

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Out of interest, which HDMI cables are you actually using? I have various cables in my system ranging from freebies (free with sky and HD DVD) through budget - higher priced cables and no problems or differences noticed here.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Are you resetting the system after you have made any connection changes - power everything Off at the wall, make the required connections and then re-power.

Joe

Advocate

Out of interest, which HDMI cables are you actually using? I have various cables in my system ranging from freebies (free with sky and HD DVD) through budget - higher priced cables and no problems or differences noticed here.

To be honest I can't remember where most of the cables have come from. One of them (the one that supports 3D and HDMI-CEC) was bought with the new TV and I paid £30 for it, and it's only about 3 feet long!

The cable that doesn't support HDMI-CEC but does support 3D was one my mum bought on Amazon for £1,45 lol. I tested that one on both mine (Samsung TV and Samsung blu-ray) and dads (LG TV and LG blu-ray) setup, neither of which would recognize through HDMI-CEC the fact that the blu-ray player was connected.

I'll get around to replacing them all with decent cables sometime soon. Maybe then my amp (Yamaha RX-V1065) will pass the 3D signal through, I know it's not officially supported but I've read here (somewhere) that some people have managed to get it working.

Advocate

Are you resetting the system after you have made any connection changes - power everything Off at the wall, make the required connections and then re-power.

Joe

I don't think I powered off once, does it make a difference?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
It can - many Source, Repeater and Sink devices don’t handshake properly when hardware changes are made unless you reboot/repower the whole system.

Joe

andy1249

Distinguished Member
I don't think I powered off once, does it make a difference?

Yes it does.

Hotplugging HDMI is not recommended and causes all sorts of problems , I wouldnt be at all surprised if its the cause of yours.

The cables you are using are all relatively short , and should all be fine with what you are trying to do.

Both 3D and CEC must be setup in your devices menus , ripping out HDMI cables without powering off is known to scramble settings, and in some cases will actually kill the electronics within the interface altogether , you should never do it.

CEC is only guaranteed to work if all your devices are from the same manufacturer , if they are not , you will have problems with anything other than basic on off commands.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
I’m hoping the Installer community is reading this one – Hotplugging HDMI devices generates more Tech Support calls than any of HDMI’s other little foibles!!!

Installers doing larger systems get pretty upset when you explain that YES you MUST power down the whole system just to make one small change to the Source line-up!

Joe

KUBBY

I'm sure that those who are quick to blame Onkyo for their poor HDMI boards,especially in the earlier models, are guilty of this.

I know I was:blush::facepalm:

K.

Advocate

Wow I never realized that you had to power down to swap hdmi cables. Why isn't this made common knowledge?

I can't remember ever reading in any of my manuals the need to do this.

By powering down do I have to just switch the devices into standby or completely switch them off at the mains?

I read in another thread here that my amp (Yamaha RX-V1065) is capable of passing through a 3D signal provided the source device (PS3 and/or Blu-Ray player) is connected to the TV first so that it can ascertain that the TV can accept a 3D signal, and then is connected to the amp. I tried this, but obviously didn't power down between swapping the cables around (and it didn't work). Is this more likely to work if I power down in between?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Power Off at the wall socket!

Hotplugging can (as Andy points out) can 1. cause damage to chips sets and 2. even if the chipsets survive the handshake logic may get scrambled.

Joe

Advocate

Can you give me the sequence I should follow to get my amp to pass-thru the 3d signal from my PS3 and Blu-Ray player?

I'm assuming it's

1) power everything off
2) connect the PS3 and BR to the TV
3) power everything on
4) setup the devices for 3D
5) power everything off
6) plug PS3 and BR into amp
7) power everything on

Sound about right?

andy1249

Distinguished Member
I read in another thread here that my amp (Yamaha RX-V1065) is capable of passing through a 3D signal provided the source device (PS3 and/or Blu-Ray player) is connected to the TV first so that it can ascertain that the TV can accept a 3D signal, and then is connected to the amp.

Obviously that amp is not a HDMI 1.4 device , and getting it to work with a 3D signal is going to be tricky.

I tried this with a number of amps around about the time that the PS3 got the 3D upgrade , it works with some better than others , but in most cases once you switch between 2D and 3D content on the PS3 you have to do the cable juggling trick all over again.

The PS3 doesnt do HD audio with 3D , so a HDMI 1.4 switch is better for setting up the PS3 for 3D than trying to pass the content through the amp.

Have one channel of the switch go through the amp for normal use and one channel go direct to the TV for 3D use , use the optical out for sound while watching 3D content , as lossy codecs is all the unit can do when playing 3D in any case.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'Sound about right?' - more like a recipe for a disaster :suicide:

Andy is on the right track with some form of dual Output HDMI Switch - another option you could try would be a Switch with Internal 3D EDID ahead of the AVR!!!

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom