1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What a difference avia makes

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by harrisuk, Jul 1, 2004.

1. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Well I had heard good things about this so purchased a copy off ebay for £18 from some place in canada. Used it to calibrate my projector and I have to say well impressed.

Definate improvement in quality. Blacks are better, definition is better colours are better, The settings I ended up with I would never have dreamed of or be able to obtain without their test paterns.

Only done the projector so far. Sub, speakers and amp next. I am going to give it a wiz on the plasma as well I am that impressed.

2. danjos

danjos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    yep, i was pleased with my results too. Well worth it considering the cost of the projector, may as well get it set up right :)

3. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    I find the simple setting of black and white levels using the needle pulse tests to be probably the most important thing you can do for a projector. It can make a world of difference to mpg artefacts that can sometimes be seen in dark areas, and also ensure that you're seeing correct amounts of detail in both bright and dark areas.

Avia is designed for NTSC, but if you have a DVD player that has a below black or 0ire setting for NTSC, then using that means your black level is the same as PAL. Calibrating an HTPC is just as simple, and you don't have PAL or NTSC to worry about.

Gary.

4. bobbetts

bobbetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Probably a stupid question, but how do you know what the test images are supposed to look like. :confused: In order to ensure the projector settings are optimized.

The reason for asking is that I have purchased the disc of these very forums and have loaded it up, only to read the descriptions of the tests and then enter the test pattern and then wonder what to do next, beacuse the test pattern looks okay. I cannot believe for one moment that my projector is set correctly.

5. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    It gives you detailed instructions on how to use the test patterns. Your projector wont be properly calibrated straight out of the box. Mine is only a couple of months old, with the help of the avia disc I have made some major changes to all of the main display settings.

Somewhat to my surpise its has produced a big improvement in picture quality. I had some friends round last nights and we spent around 4 hours on multplayer of the xbox. Even they pointed out a marked improvement in the picture quality.

6. DVDNUT

DVDNUT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Is this AVIA disk a CD or DVD?

and is it only available on eBay?

7. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Its a region 1 DVD. Its not readily available the UK. A guy in the powerbuys classified section sells them for around £25 quid shipped I think if you dont fancy ebay. Alternatively I am sure I can find the link of the guy I got mine off, I had it within 7 days.

8. DVDNUT

DVDNUT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
  9. figlio

figlio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Which is better Avia or Digital Video Essentials?