1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What A Difference A Tweak Makes....

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by jabowen, Jan 21, 2005.

1. jabowen

jabowen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    ...finally received the pedestal stand for my 37PW7 on Wednesday night - after racing to the couriers to pick it up just before they closed. Set it up that night - by the time I'd cleared spaghetti junction from my old 32 CRT and cleared a space, and set it all up it was past midnight already. I took it out of dynamic mode - lowered the brightness and contrast settings, watched Star Wars and thoroughly underwhelmed. (Watching through VanDamme component levels). Sky was pretty good through the JSB convertor. Still went to bed slightly disappointed.

After work yesterday, I had a proper play with the settings - not entering any service or advanced picture settings. All I can say is WOW - watched IRobot last night - the picture was everything that I could have hoped for. DVDs are crisp and clear, with a 3D edge to it. I'll be looking to DVE after 200 hours to get the extra few % (can't stretch to ISF calibration at the moment, as much as I'd like to!). Am delighted with Sky plus through the JDB RGB-VGA convertor. It is slightly more saturated in colour than I'm used to - and my reds to bloom a little (I'll look at playing around with red push maybe when the 200 hours are up, but guess I'll have adjusted to it by then). Even my other half is won over - result :thumbsup:

Only question is on the colour settings for component DVD - I have lowered mine as low as -17 to get a colour that seems right to me. Firstly, is this uncommon - secondly I'm assuming there's no problem doing this in the first 200 hours - it's maxing the settings that causes problems, not minimising them?

Again all I can say, if anyone is wavering on purchasing a Panasonic - don't the bang for your buck really is incredible!

2. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Glad youy happy with it now :)

When i got my pw6 the other day i used the setting that another forum member used on his & was just blown away by how my dvd's looked. sky also looks ace apart from the colours being a tad strong (could be that the 28" i was using before was crap? so taking it's a bit to get used to) I hooked my xbox up with the HD pack and omg in 480p it's just stunning, games never looked as good. just waiting 200 hours before i start to play games on it though.

So anyone thinking of a pw6 or 7 get one you'll love it :clap:

3. cyberbob69

cyberbob69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    LFC Fan.

What settings did you use then? Got my PW7 coming sometime today...can't wait.

4. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    For dvd and sky normal mode brightness -5 contrast -6 colour -6 can't set colour for sky because i use the Js rgb to vga conveter. can't remember my xbox settings will look tonight but you'll have already had xbox on by then i think. :D

5. cyberbob69

cyberbob69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    You have the same things as me hooked up. I've also got a JS RGB to VGA converter coming, what do you think of the Sky picture? Have you got the M$ HD cables for your Xbox too? Can't wait to see the quality, Burnout 3 is the first game I'm gonna try.

Also got Fifth Element ready too... :D

6. jabowen

jabowen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    JS RGB to VGA blew me away - especially with Studio Broadcasts. No that I should confess to watching it, but Big Brother at the like looked superb on it. The colour is stronger than I'm used to - but that's probably a good thing, people were always telling me my colours were too washed out before on the old screen.

You must be so excited cyberbob. I remember the excitement of when I picked up my Plasma. Unfortunately - had to sit untouched in my dining room til Wednesday when my pedestal stand finally arrived. As I say, after a bit of a tweak - the screen already ranks up there as one of my best purchases ever!

7. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Yes i use the M$ DH pack & use mark grants component cables ( cheers Mark great cable) i had burnout3 on that was sweet as hell you won't believe how good it looks.

As for sky+ it looks great well better than i thought it would. :)

8. matt bellamy

matt bellamy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi cyberbob,

my setting for the PW7 with the component board are:

Picture setting Normal
    Contrast 16
    Brightness 4
    Colour 0
    Tint 0
    Sharpness 6

I have DVD and XBox with HD cables and both movies and games look awesome. Burnout 3 and halo 2 are especially great. I dont know whether the contrast is a bit too high but it is reduced from the factory setting which was about 25 I think. You might want to lower it to run it in.

9. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    That would look well washed out on mine, the black xbox dash looked too grey on my dvd settings had to lower it to about -11 -12 to get it black. but once i did lower it, it was great. just goe's to show everyones setting are well different.

10. cyberbob69

cyberbob69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Well, All I can do is, have a good play with it when it comes.

Still no sign yet, the suspense is killing me.. :suicide:

From the replies I've been getting sounds like I won't be disspointed, never got to demo the screen; brought it from the recomendations from people off here.. :smashin:

11. Anthall

Anthall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have a good play with mine most evenings! :blush:

12. cyberbob69

cyberbob69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Little update, Stand and component board with JS RGB to VGA converter has all come.

Put my stand together, just waiting for plasma to fit to it.. :zonked:

Want it now... :lease: