what a con !!!!!!!

A

ajj1971

Had sky installed on sat 14/7 with great joy:clap:, only to find that the Hd channels Although have a good picture :smashin:most of the programms seem to be SD formatted e.g simpsons on sky one HD,and the rugby on sky sports hd2 this to me is a bit of a con as i was under the impresstion that all programmes broadcasted on the Hd channels was HD and not up scaled

Does sky think we are thick?????????:nono: must be to pay twice for the same content.:suicide:

what do you think?????????:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Had sky installed on sat 14/7 with great joy:clap:, only to find that the Hd channels Although have a good picture :smashin:most of the programms seem to be SD formatted e.g simpsons on sky one HD,and the rugby on sky sports hd2 this to me is a bit of a con as i was under the impresstion that all programmes broadcasted on the Hd channels was HD and not up scaled

Does sky think we are thick?????????:nono: must be to pay twice for the same content.:suicide:

Me thinks you didn't do your homework! ;)

ATB

Max

There is always Virgin media with the BBC HD channel... :rotfl:

Watch "The Simpsons Movie" trailer in HD 1080p from Apple's website to see what REAL HD looks like. I don't care what people say, but Upscaled crap on sky HD will NEVER look as good as a real HD captured pictured. Most of the content on sky is upscaled stuff and not real HD.

what i am trying to say is if the programmes are hd they look great but what is the point of showing a none hd programme on a hd channel why not put another programme on instead so we get our moneys worth.

i don't mind seeing the same programmes broadcasted on sd channels and hd channels:thumbsup: just so long as you get what you pay for HD

Watch "The Simpsons Movie" trailer in HD 1080p from Apple's website to see what REAL HD looks like. I don't care what people say, but Upscaled crap on sky HD will NEVER look as good as a real HD captured pictured. Most of the content on sky is upscaled stuff and not real HD.

I'm not sure anyone would say that upscaled material is as good as 'real' HD. However to claim that 'most' of the content of Sky HD is upscaled isn't correct IMHO. Sky One HD is the biggest culprit, but for anyone who did their homework it wouldn't be a surprise, as it's a simulcast channel with Sky One SD. The alternative would be a trial type channel like that of the BBC, where only a limited amount of programming would be shown during the evening. This is well publicised and shouldn't have come as a surprise.

ATB

Max

I did my homework and nothing was said by sky about upscaling all they said was turn over and watch this e.g "The simpsons" on sky one HD and it is not true hd, but all the HD channels have broadcasted none Hd material on thier channels at some point:eek: , and this should not be the case HD for HD and Sd for Sd and never the twain should meet!!!!!!!!!!!

and there is enought programmes out there to broadcast so they can not use that excuse:nono:

I did my homework and nothing was said by sky about upscaling all they said was turn over and watch this e.g "The simpsons" on sky one HD and it is not true hd, but all the HD channels have broadcasted none Hd material on thier channels at some point:eek: , and this should not be the case HD for HD and Sd for Sd and never the twain should meet!!!!!!!!!!!

and there is enought programmes out there to broadcast so they can not use that excuse:nono:

To be fair

I purchased my HD box of ebay and just reading a handful of threads here made me fully aware that not everything on the HD channels was actually HD

I believe you have a 30 day cooling off period, during which time you can cancel you HD subscription (for any reason) and obtain a full refund. If you are really unhappy, just call Sky and cancel.

Do not get me wrong HD is great but Sky must realise that to advertize a HD channel you should only broadcast HD programmes only otherwise what is the point?

as for looking on this forum for the sky hd content ,why would i look for something that i wasn't looking for or should need to i looked for price reliablity and peoples opinion of what the hd picture is like i asumed that all programmes were in hd format as is the point of the channel;)

I think the biggest problem for Sky's HD service is probably Sky One HD. A lot of their shows (Weeds, Lost and 24 for example) are in HD but there is also a large bulk not in HD which has to be upscalled.

As time passes we should hopefully get more and more shows in HD as equitment should get upgraded.

You are right that there are a lot of shows in HD out there but a lot of those shows are from the US and find their way to broadcasters such as Channel 4 and E4 which are not HD channels.

There are a lot of HD films and sports on Sky's HD service which for me is the best part of Sky HD (I love HD football, cricket and films).

Sky One HD broadcasts all day and it mirrors the programming on Sky One so a lot of it shows can't be in HD. If it didn't it would be a service similar to BBC HD.

I was aware of a lot of shows on HD channels not actually being in HD before I bought the HD box and thought it was common knowledge. But if you thought otherwise maybe there are a lot of people out there like you maybe sky need to clarify this with people before customers go ahead and buy the thing.

Do not get me wrong HD is great but Sky must realise that to advertize a HD channel you should only broadcast HD programmes only otherwise what is the point?

as for looking on this forum for the sky hd content ,why would i look for something that i wasn't looking for or should need to i looked for price reliablity and peoples opinion of what the hd picture is like i asumed that all programmes were in hd format as is the point of the channel;)

Sky One HD is advertised as:

Sky One HD:
A selection of its must-see shows and cutting edge series in HD.

That's from Sky's website and implies to me, that not all the programs will be in HD. It's a simulcast channel with the SD version of Sky One SD and everything is not therefore in HD.

I too want more HD content, as I'm sure everyone else does too. I'm satisfied with what I get for my £10 right now, hopefully there'll be new channels and more content as time goes on.

ATB

Max

I'm pretty satisfied overall too, having just come to the end of my initial 12 month HD contract, I've no intention of cancelling.

Of course it'd be great if there was more HD stuff, or if they dropped the £10 charge, it's far from perfect, but it's good enough for me. I'd much rather see quality rather than quantity anyway. There's some great stuff on Sky One HD (Deadwood, Lost, 24, Battlestar, Bones, Rescue Me, Weeds to name just a few), I'd rather wait and get good stuff like that than have it filled with any old rubbish, just because it's in HD.

Sky One HD is advertised as:

That's from Sky's website and implies to me, that not all the programs will be in HD. It's a simulcast channel with the SD version of Sky One SD and everything is not therefore in HD.

I too want more HD content, as I'm sure everyone else does too. I'm satisfied with what I get for my ÂŁ10 right now, hopefully there'll be new channels and more content as time goes on.

ATB

Max

i was aware that only some progs were in HD , however the statement you are alluding to does imply that the channel is full HD.
it should read "a selection of series in HD and other must see shows".

i was aware that only some progs were in HD , however the statement you are alluding to does imply that the channel is full HD.
it should read "a selection of series in HD and other must see shows".

It says a selection, doesn't it? It doesn't say "all".

ATB

Max

HD = High Definition. Doesn't exactly mean it has to have been shot on HD. It just means it's in HD. Now, like Sky One HD, the programmes are upscaled from SD to HD resolution, so that means it is in HD. It may not look great or whatever but it is still qualified as HD. If it wasn't even upscaled, then that's the time you can say that it is a con.

...i asumed that all programmes were in hd format as is the point of the channel;)

Aha! Unfortunately, assuming is a bad thing. I have done it a lot of times myself and lead me to grief. If only you've read or asked that the HD channels on Sky are upscaled, then you wouldn't have started the thread in the beginning as you would be expecting it. I'm afraid the only choices we have with Sky is either have it or don't have it.

Also, just to help you a bit, they do have a 30-day returns policy so you can get your money refunded if you are not happy with your purchase.

HD = High Definition. Doesn't exactly mean it has to have been shot on HD.

Yes it does. Thats why the upscaled programs dont have the HD indicator in the program banner.

Now, like Sky One HD, the programmes are upscaled from SD to HD resolution, so that means it is in HD.

I can upscale videos i've taken with my mobile phone to HD resolutions, but that doesnt make them HD.

I do not want to cancel, i just saying that sky boast 12 HD channels That should mean that These channels should only broadcast in HD not upscaled Programmes :suicide:

whether or not people say they knew about them not showning all hd programmes is not the point, it's the principal if i wanted to see upscaled programmed why not have channels dedicated to them ie sd= standard, hd= High Def, US= upscaled

:smashin:

I do not want to cancel, i just saying that sky boast 12 HD channels That should mean that These channels should only broadcast in HD not upscaled Programmes :suicide:

whether or not people say they knew about them not showning all hd programmes is not the point, it's the principal if i wanted to see upscaled programmed why not have channels dedicated to them ie sd= standard, hd= High Def, US= upscaled

:smashin:

I think we'd all agree with you, but most of us realised what the actual situation was. Hence there's no disappointment factor. You can easily see if a program is in HD or not by pressing the i button.

ATB

Max

the real problem channels here are sky one hd and sky arts hd as these are the simulcast channels.

Sky sports HD aren't simulcast but dont have enough HD sport content to be able to offer 100% HD sport.

All the other hd channels only have isolated incidences of upscaled material.

As simulcast channels they show what is currently on the SD equivilent. Are you saying that when a HD master is not available for that program then you want them to just send you a blank screen, or endless reruns of a teaser trailer like BBC HD?

I have to say that when I bought my box at Xmas, I was only expecting odds and ends to be in HD on Sky One (I'd read the threads here) now though it's got quite good - just about all my faves on Sky are the US dramas & they are mostly in HD so that's good. I know the ST TNG and The Simpsons or early Malcolm in the Middle etc etc is going to look poor but It doesn't really bother me in the slightest. More HD content would be great but until such time as there is years of HD material archived they Sky 1 HD will always carry SD material.

Of more concern to me is the lack of HD on Five & C4 (couldn't give a stuff about ITV) & the sci fi channel continuing to broadcast in 4:3

Funny how people dont use AV forums for research before they make a purchase. :suicide: Its great for complaining afterwards though!

What I will say is that anytime tv does add to your HD experiance:smashin:. I wasnt aware of this experiance one I started a topic like this.

I can upscale videos i've taken with my mobile phone to HD resolutions, but that doesnt make them HD.

Hmmm. Can someone clarify this for us please? I thought that once any form of video is "converted" or "upscaled" to a HD resolution (probably 1280x720 etc), it is considered HD. It doesn't have to exactly look good, but the HD resolution is there.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom