1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What a cock-up!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by delta, Apr 29, 2001.

1. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just sent this message to the editor of a competing magazine. It is self-explanatory...

"I cannot believe the monumental error made in the May 2001 issue of ** in its Mega Test of rear projection tv's. It is stated that five of those reviewed use LCD technology!! All six of them are CRT based! Even the Tech Specs are wrong. How could this have happened, have you recruited someone from Comet? I feel embarrassed for you. I have taken ** from Issue No 1 but be assured I will not be renewing my subscription. I need to rely on kit reviews and ** has demonstrated that it cannot be trusted.

2. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Name and Shame I say !!!

3. dj

dj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Well said.

The other publication you state is very poor, and it has got worse since it had chosen to redesign the layout.

4. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    If it's who I think it is then I'm in full agreement. 'House Entertaining' just isn't the thing it was once!

5. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I'd agree. But it's a shame. We used to have quite a few HC mags, now we're down to 2. HCC needs the competition!

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is also a mag called Essential Home Cinema..only bought a couple of copies but it is not very good at all....loads of wrong information in it.

It reads very much as though they have made a consious effort to 'dumb' everything down...with no regard to the fact that this results in wrong info given! :(

7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    This is just the latest in a long line of cock ups. I couldn't believe that they
    could make such a monumental cock up (again), so I went out to check if I had
    made a mistake. Well it wasn't me in error. We have also had all the errors in
    the panel projectors previous to this . The Sim HT200 a LCD projector! What
    really got my goat was the 2* review for the criterion Edition of the Rock. Am I watching the same film here? Praise on this forum was justifiably strong and then the 2* HE review. Quiet frankly this magazine must be written by a bunch of ******* with no technical knowledge or taste. The competition isn't that much better, and this surprizes me, as there are some very good technical contributions to these forums from writers. I wonder whether they are getting
    'edited' in the magazine assembling process and their story is being lost (like the Ellie review). I particularly welcome Stuart Robinson recent contributions on wires, bi-wiring, cables etc. Why isn't this stuff in the magazine. People are spending fortunes on devices that they do not need or are the magazines selling out to advertisers rather than educating their reader?

Education rather than more 28 inch tv reviews

8. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm waiting the result of further investigations by that mag's editor. They claim the info was supplied by the manufacturer's agents!! I didn't come down with the last shower, but I reckon I have stirred a hornet's nest! They told me that the average reader isn't concerned about what is inside a tv, but as the average reader is an enthusiast then of course, we do care!! Talk about a cop-out! Maybe MAFF are involved? I'll be back...

9. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Perhaps the magazine should be retitled "Home Amusement". The magazine can't wriggle out of this one as a mere typo in the tech-spec boxes for each TV. On page 61 it repeats the error and highlights LCD panels on an equal footing as CRT. The "xtra info" box for the Tosh is simply that....

It puts things into perspective that threads on this board have recently focussed on high-end installs, generating significant debate. On the other hand, the other mag has an article (pp. 41-43) about average setups having taken a snipe at HCC:

"Many articles on home cinema installation often include a case study showing how some filthy rich rock star/TV personality/lottery winner has the equivalent of your local multiplex installed in their mansion." (p41).

The question is, given the error highlighted by delta, would you trust such a feature in this magazine, rather than HCC?....

I wonder what the correction will be in the next issue? Perhaps it is a sales ploy to get us all to buy the mag to read the correction?

10. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Any news Delta?

11. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I'd just like to add that I dislike them the most, and am the best fan of HCC and will grovel better than anyone else Mr. HCC Editor. :D :D

[ 08-05-2001: Message edited by: General Skanky ]

12. Napoleon

Napoleon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I don't know why everyone is so reticent to name'Home Entertainment'.That is the magazine in question,and i totally agree with the comments about it.Ever since i subscribed to monthly magazines,the triumvirate(What TV/H.C.C/H.Entertainment),all contributed in their own way.the reviews of H.Entertainment were excellent;detailed,and in my opinion,reliable.Then the change occurred,the lets be trendy,and to hell with technical analysis makeover.Since that fateful issue arrived,the contribution made by the magazine has been smashed.I was looking for a dvd player,so i gathered all the old mags together.amongst them were the old H.Ent.,and the difference compared to now is immediately clear.Everything has been shortened,queries/reviews,general articles.They don't even list vital tests like frequency response.In conclusion,if someone had been commissioned to butcher a fine magazine,they could not have done a better job,than has been dealt to H.Entertainment.

13. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No news yet, Home Ent. hasn't replied since last week. I guess they are double checking my claims before they come back with an appropriate apology. Hey, I just saw a flying pig...!

14. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Phew!
    Thanks guys, I thought I was the only one who preferred the old HE!
    I don't say this with any pleasure because I think its important to have more than one view on various bits of kit which come onto the market, if only to confirm the generally highly reliable info that mags provide. No doubt there may be an argument proferred along the lines of 'well, circulation's gone up so we must be doing it right', but IMO there's enough boys toys type mags out there with trendy type and info designed for people with the attention span of a goldfish.

Perhaps I'm alone, but I want to see well written, and fairly comprehensive reviews written by journalists who are enthusiasts, not edited info from agents or manufacturers' PR depts. If the latest bit of kit or new feature is really a rehash of last year in a new case, then we rely on mags to tell us before we part with our hard earned...

sorry,rant over.... HE, please sort this out; we don't WANT to stop buying your mag!

15. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Any news Delta?

When is the new HE out?

16. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They haven't had time to check out my comments, been to busy!! Hopefully, this week I will hear something. HE is out now and it includes apologies for a couple of other cock-ups both involving tv's being described as being 100Hz when they are actually only 50Hz. Watch this space...

17. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,542
    but guys, have you seen this month's HCC, it's littered with mistakes. Take the comparison between SKY digital and OnDigital, exactly the same conclusion is written for both options...!! At the back, where the lists of recommended products are, the explaination boxes for home cinema processors and power amplifier are the wrong way round. Now these aren't technical mistakes, just silly mistakes, but they still shouldn't happen. There are others that i can't remember them as i'm currently at work, and the magazine is at home!!

18. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Home Entertainment is now pants, I used to buy it but it is error riddled with price always seeming to be the overriding priority.

In fact it gets me annoyed when I read it, something I also get from Sun and Mirror papers.

Essential Home Cinema is also naff, but not quite as naff as HE is now.

Mind you HCC ought to proof read more carefully! :)

19. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Didn't you guys hear H.E was bought out by H.C.C. a few months ago.
    Theyve put the mistakes in H.E. on purpose to you'll think the mag is shyte and take out a years subscription to H.C.C. Then when theyve raised enough money they'll suddely make H.C.C shyte and H.E. good so you'll switch and start buying their mag instead.

Believe me all the above is true. ;)

20. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok boys, I've read through this thread with interest. I agree with most of it. BUT.....who's willing to put their money where their mouth is, & do a better job? I'm talking about producing & marketing a better magazine. Answers on a post card please?

21. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Seriously no I wouldn't. Jobs and hobbies should be kept apart as for me the interest would fade and id start looking at other hobbies. That doesn't excuse the misstakes in magazines though. If we the reader can see the mistakes then why can't they? Don't they read there own mag or are they too busy reading H.C.C instead?

ok some one's about to point out the spelling mistakes in my post above, but I don't have a spell checker and I'm not getting paid for it either, so there! :p

22. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    BadAss, you have spelling mistakes in your post above. I have a spell checker, but I'm not paid to use it to tell you. So there. :) :p

23. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    :) Sony C7 huge deck used to know somebody with one, I prefered my SL-F1

24. samhassall

samhassall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    H.E. changed soon after it was bought from Dennis publishing by Future publishing.

This often happens when a title goes from one publishing house to another, with it's new editor/publisher/MD wanting to instill his or her own style. This is also combined with the upheaval that the entire editorial team will have to ensure in the transfer of management and location.

It is a sad fact that readers suffer at the hands of a business deal, especially when most of those readers are absolute fans of the subject in question.

As for pretenders like E.H.C., try to come up with something more inventive than sticking in cheesy, smiley, and frankly not really attractive women in the editorial. Maybe some really sexy and semi-naked women would make the rag more bearable. Then again, maybe not.

Lets hope H.C.C. isn't going to go changing and breaking our hearts!

25. samhassall

samhassall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, I meant endure, not "ensure".

26. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Over a month has passed and I still have not received an explanation, apology or how's your father from HE. If that's what they think of their readers, then it is no wonder the magazine is in decline!

27. philmate

philmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    My girlie buys these mags for 30p at the local market a week sometimes months out of date for general reading, (anoracking)...seems all there worth though, it definately has gone down hill.
    Philmate.

28. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have not received any further communication from Home Entertainment re my original letter to them, in spite of my repeated request for them to do so, clearly they don't give a toss about their readers. Needless to say I have now cancelled my subscription. I like to know that any product information I read can be relied on. I will continue my subscription to HCC and to What Video & TV.