What 7.1 speakers for Onkyo 705.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Epiphany, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Epiphany

Epiphany
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I'm looking at purchasing an Onkyo 705, and am struggling to make my mind up with the speakers.

I can get the amp from Audio T for £540, and have a total budget of £1000.

The room is squared around the TV, and ideally I'd like a 7.1 system and I'm leaning towards the Wharfedale Diamond 9's, with the two front speakers upgraded to 9.1's. I can acheive this for £460, bringing me exactly to my budget.

It'll be used for DVD's, music and the xbox 360, and in the future either Blueray or HD-DVD.

My main concern, is will these speakers be up to the job or will they in effect be a waste of money. On paper they seem better than anything else in the same price bracket, but would I be better off waiting a bit longer, saving more and buying a better set, or would these suffice? (Obviously I don't want to wait around forever saving money) Can anyone recommend any other speakers to me?

The only other option I've really seen is the Q-Acoustics 1010i 7.1 package with the fronts upgraded to the 1030i floorstanding speakers for £589 all in, which I could probably stretch to.

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/3871

Can anyone offer me any advice please? :lease:

2. Robsk1

Robsk1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    How big is your room? Do you need the full 7.1? Only asking as you may not benefit from the extra 2.

Those set ups both look good on paper but the old saying still counts, go listen to them first. With the 705 if possible. The sound from speakers will vary slightly and you can only decide with your ears.

3. Andrew K

Andrew K
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +608
    1030i's are not arriving until some time in March.

4. fractionater

fractionater
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm going for a 7.1 set up with an Onkyo 605 using the Jamo A102's in white.

5. Andori

Andori

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    I would second that. You may benefit more from a more expensive 5.1 set.

6. Epiphany

Epiphany
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help so far!

The room is 3.75m long by 3.5m wide.

I didn't realize that the 1030i's aren't out until march. Superfi are advertising them in that package as if they are available now.

In that case, if it's worth getting 7.1 with that room size it'd be either Q-Acoustics 1020i speakers at front and 1010i at the rear, 1000Ci centre speaker and the 1000S subwoofer for £517 or the same but with 1030's at the front for £549 (No idea what would sound better).

If not then I'll have to have a complete re-think!

Thanks!

7. Andori

Andori

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    In a room that size, I would say stick with 5.1.

Don't forget that you may need to budget for cables and/or stands/brackets.

As Robsk1 said earlier, try to get a listen to them (and any others you consider).

8. Cynar

Cynar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    I think the Quad L-ite 5.1 system takes some beating at the moment as it's on offer from £1000 to £525. You could always add another pair of L-ite speakers later if you decided to go 7.1

9. Epiphany

Epiphany
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In that case it looks like it's between the Quad Q-Lite 5.1 package for £510 from Audio-T or a mix and match with the Q acoustics with 4 x 1020i's, 1000Ci Centre, and a 1000s Sub woofer. (I think the centre and sub would be under equipped in that set-up though)

I think the Acoustic Energy Aego T's are just out of my price range at £600 (unless they're really worth it?) and I'm not a fan of the KEF range.

I can get a listen of the Quads with an Onkyo 605 amp at Audio-T, but unfortunately they don't stock the Q acoustics or Acoustic Energy set-ups.

The 5.1 definitely seems like a better option as I can always add two better speakers at a later date to give the system a boost if needs be.
    EDIT: As Betty_swollocks just said as well :smashin:

Any other suggestions I may have overlooked?

10. Cynar

Cynar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    I believe the Q-Acoustic speakers are very good, but I'd be surprised if they'd hold a candle to the Quads. The Quads are in a different quality league and (usually) price bracket.

The Q-Acoustics are covered in wood effect plastic whereas the Quads are finished with real wood veneer and 7 coats of hand applied piano gloss laquer.

And just take a look at the spec of the subwoofers as an example.

Q-Acoustics
    200mm driver
    100watt amp
    11kg

Quad
    250mm driver
    300 watt amp
    26kg

It really isn't comparing like for like.

11. Robsk1

Robsk1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    I'll 2nd on the Lites. I have them on a 605 with the fronts bi-amped using the redundant surround sockets.

As you have a chance to listen to the Lites, do so but get them to audition you another set or two within the price range you are looking at.

Before buying the Lites i also audition Monitor Audio BR2's (and the Silver bookshelf too) and Kef IQ3's. All lovely speakers, the BR2's were better IMO although the IQ's were 50 more. The Silvers were great of course but i was induldging myself as i never had the budget for them.

I got the Lites (at £595, in black) as i realised that just ticked all the boxes for size, quality and finish. Not sure if balck is easy to get in Lites any more tho.

If you go the Lite route and want to go 7.1 later on then i'd get a 2nd hand pair of 11L or 12L's for the front's. They vary in price but keep an eye on ebay, etc. I'll be looking for a pair at some stage as i want bigger speakers for the front and the spair lites will used for Zone 2 via the 605.

12. Epiphany

Epiphany
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your help guys!

I'm going to be listening to some Mission speakers (not sure which though) on saturday as well, and anything else that they've got available.

Thanks again!

13. Andrew K

Andrew K
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +608
    Just to update you on the current situation for Q Acoustics.

Black and Beech 1010i 5.1 have arrived in limited quantities. Cherry is not in until the end of January. These are the full packs including the new 1000Si subwoofer.

The 1020i is available in all colours.

The 1030i and the 1050i are not being released until some time in March.