What 55" TV with 5 year warranty

MrMav11

After learning a lot and looking in currys for look, I know a little more about what I want. I'm probably not as fussy as some, I'm not a AV geek as such, so I obviously want decent picture quality etc, but all this calibration that people do, I'd probably not see. It's a family TV for use with V+ PS3 Netflix, catchup, bit of Blu-Ray etc.

So I can fit a 55" in the space where it will be because of the frameless TVs now compared to my current 40", measuring it will only physically be a little bigger.

So I want a smart TV, 55" (current is 40"), 3D (probably passive as my eyes seem to detect the flicking), think I want a 5 year warranty (so probably RS or JL), Netflix, catchup, apps etc (probably comes under smart TV), budget max of £900 maybe little more, but ideally less, eg seen the LG 55LA620v at JL but it's lower motion, no motion remote etc.

Thanks

vickster

Distinguished Member
55et61

MrMav11

Panasonic? Have they decent smart TV stuff? Upto date? Can LG's a Dual Play thing be done on non LG sets if I buy a pair from Amazon/eBay? ie it works on all passive 3D sets? Like the look of the share from a smartphone, but Apple being Apple do these work for iPhones/iPads?

What are Currys like to walk into a shop and say "I'll have this TV, but I want a free 5 year warranty" and I'll buy today? Are they at all flexible for this sort of thing?

vickster

Distinguished Member
Doubtful, the staff make their money selling overpriced warranties...

What are you looking for in terms of smart?

No interest in 3d at all so cannot comment there

MrMav11

Doubtful, the staff make their money selling overpriced warranties...

What are you looking for in terms of smart?

No interest in 3d at all so cannot comment there
Smart wise I want catchup, Netflix, DLNA built in. This will save the non techy wife to have it all available on the TV, rather than having the mammoth task ;) of switching on PS3, logging in, going to Netflix
app etc.

3D never had it and it will probably be a fad but the son wants it to try it for games and TV, I think I'll have to go passive though as I can sense the flickering

luckysim0n

John Lewis have a Panasonic on offer at
the mo I was very impressed by the picture and came close to pulling the trigger 899 or 849 I believe not sure about the 3d tho

vickster

Distinguished Member
Not sure if 2013 panasonics have Netflix. It is passive though

vickster

Distinguished Member
Yes, depends on where they choose to invest

Personally, I don't understand the benefit of Netflix as I have Sky! Netflix just has old stuff

MrMav11

Yes, depends on where they choose to invest

Personally, I don't understand the benefit of Netflix as I have Sky! Netflix just has old stuff
I have V+ with no extra movies or sports package on and it's fine, Netflix is great for the kids in their rooms, £6/month and loads of TV series for them. We watch it also, good for certain stuff. I'm thinking of getting rid of Virgin anyway, TV wise, as long as can get channels we require with BT, freeview or like.

Do JL shops have exactly same TVs as online in store?

MrMav11

That's the one so any comments on it? It's £900 seems decent, 2013 model, not sure what works though, netflix? iPlayer, 4OD, 5 demand. Not sure if the swipe to share is an app you get, if it works with iOS or not, it's hard to find out these specifics really. Also it says DLNA but unsure what does/doesn't do. This model is the JL version of the ET60 available elsewhere for ref

vickster

Distinguished Member
There are plenty of reviews and a long owner thread in main LCD forum

MrMav11

There are plenty of reviews and a long owner thread in main LCD forum
Thanks, trying to read it all now!! Says it has a slow input lag though, I'm only a casual gamer, but don't want it to spoil the gaming.

Looking today again, and the LG on JL is a model that I wouldn't get, Currys have maybe a LG I would but no 5 year warranty....I defo want passive 3D...decisions....another week I looking now...

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom