Question What 55" TV To Buy???

SimonHavfc

Distinguished Member
I am looking to upgrade from my Sony 46W905 into the world of 4K and HDR. I am looking at the following products Panasonic 55CX802, Samsung 55JS8500/JS9000, Sony 55X9305 and LG 55EF950V.
Can I get some thoughts and owners feedback please.
Also any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
One consideration will be input lag for Xbox One and PS4 gaming too.

dion 6

I`ve had a LG 55EC930V 1080p Oled for about 6 months now befor the 4K models came out.My viewing distance is about 10 foot from the screen so this TV is perfect for me for now. The 4k model are dropping in price so if I where you would go for one . led can not match the perfect blacks of oled.If you get an LED I think you may regreat it. Best of luck with your choise.

SimonHavfc

Distinguished Member
I think I am favouring the LG Oled but in no mad rush so will wait until Black Friday or the New Year sales to get best price.
Do you game on your Oled?

nugget2014

i think it will be a mistake buying 1080p oled..next years 4k oled models might be quite cheap before they are discontinued late 2016/early 2017. i would rather buy samsung js9000 than the 1080p oled

SimonHavfc

Distinguished Member
I would go for the LG Oled 4K for sure if I go for the LG. Do you own the JS9000.

nugget2014

no but i am looking to get the js8500/9000 or sony 8509 on black friday

SimonHavfc

Distinguished Member
Happy shopping on Black Friday, some price drops seem to have started already!

nugget2014

I won't hold my breath but I hope for SUHD tv price drops...still £1600 ATM

saltire69

Novice Member
Same boat here torn between Samsung 55js8500/LG55Oled only 100quid difference between them with the Oled being the cheaper .

nugget2014

Same boat here torn between Samsung 55js8500/LG55Oled only 100quid difference between them with the Oled being the cheaper .

would you bother buying 4k blu rays if you was to get a 4k tv? if so. 4k is the one to go for. i'm getting the js8500. demo'd it instore and looked amazing. was blown away and only tried a 1080p blu ray! cant waitt for 4k blu ray

SimonHavfc

Distinguished Member
The prices will drop i am sure for Black Friday and then heading into Xmas/New Year sales. The new Hisense ULED looks interesting too. 65" at just over £2k, need to see some reviews. Has anyone seen reviews for the LG Oled 4K 55EF950V or the 920V?

SimonHavfc

Distinguished Member
Had a good look over the weekend and have to say the LG 4K Oled seems to be my favourite. Picture quality is out of this world and in my opinion it edges the other TVs I looked at too. A good deal sub £2k would probably tempt me to do the deal.

marathonic

i think it will be a mistake buying 1080p oled..next years 4k oled models might be quite cheap before they are discontinued late 2016/early 2017. i would rather buy samsung js9000 than the 1080p oled

I disagree purely because I think Sky's 4K offering will be poor leaving you with Netflix now and UHD Blu-Ray next year.

Netflix won't be of the same quality as UHD Blu-Ray, which will be very expensive (hardware AND media) for a year or two. Also, the initial offering of UHD Blu-Rays is very poor.

For that reason, I think buying a 1080p OLED, saving the £800 difference, keeping for two years, selling the OLED and buying a 4K OLED at that point makes reasonable sense.

This is especially true for a 55" TV as opposed to a 65" one.

I like the idea of making the jump to 4K OLED in 2 years when the technology is cheaper, current issues are likely to be ironed out, UHD Blu-Ray players are cheaper and there is more media available and more 4k content in general.

HAILOS

Novice Member
I've also been weighing up my next purchase, coming from a 42" Panny Plasma.
For my mind with HDR and the other advancements on the horizon I am reluctant to splash out loads right now, especially as has been pointed out that for the time being 4K material isn't abundant.
Shame that a good 1080p set iisnt that much less than a 4k set.

logiciel

The Samsung 8500 SUHD is fine.

KJReid

Hi, I've had the Pana 802, Samsung 8500, Samsung 9000 and lg 920v which is practically the curved version if 950v. They have all gone back for various reasons so here's my thoughts.

The lg oled is awesome but the vertical banding, which seems to be common on these screens was too much for me to stomach. If it didn't have the banding then it would have been my favourite. Some folks said that some sky channels didn't look great on this TV as well which I have to agree with as watched American sniper through sky movies and it wasn't great at times, but blu Rays looked superb. Also, when HDR turned on, as when watching Bosch on Amazon prime (which looked awful), there was no way to turn it off which concerned me. Passive 3D on this tv was amazing.

The Pana and both samsungs went back due to the active 3D showing horrendous crosstalk, which may have been my set up but I could find no solution to it.

However, the Panasonic was a great picture and what I liked was I didn't have to play about with settings constantly to get a great picture. It did have two slight bands of light down the left and right hand side. Also, the smart controller sucked in comparison to the pointers of the lg and Samsung.

Samsung 8500 was great, although some clouding which may or may not have bothered me, but putting the backlight down negated this. The picture was stunning with bluray and sky and the one connect mini was nice and slinky and unobtrusive. Had the 3D been working I probably would have kept this as well.

The best 2d picture was the Samsung 9000 as the unit I had, had no clouding, no banding and blu Rays looked superb. The 2d pic was so good that I was reluctant to send this back even though the 3D was awful. The samsungs require a lot more work to get a great picture and I felt that I often had to tailor the setting dependent on what I was watching. Also, the 8500 and 9000 obviously suffer from some strange reflections due to the curve, whereas the lg coating on the 920 seemed to negate these.

To be honest, if you get any of these screens, and the 3D works, and you don't have any of the common issues such as tinting, banding or clouding then I'm sure you'd be absolutely delighted with any of them. I would have been if not for the issues. I have just had my 920v collected on sat and am going back the the js9000, getting delivered on wed, to see if I can sort the 3D problem as it was the top if my list for overall 2d picture across all formats. However, if banding doesn't bother you and most of your content will be top notch hd then the lg oled 950/920 would be a winner as well.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Last edited:

annieee3

Novice Member
I'm looking to buy at 55" TV on black friday too!

I was hoping to be blown away by the LG 1080p OLED. But seeing it in the store it sort of disappointed. Maybe I saw it under poor conditions but up against 4K the resolution just doesn't compare. If you can afford a 4k oled I'd say it was the most impressive of the bunch!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom