Answered what 50" tele - to watch tele - to replace my 11yr old 42" Tosh

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by lance.carter, Sep 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. lance.carter

lance.carter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Toshiba 42Z3030D - 42" REGZA LCD TV - 100Hz - widescreen - 1080p (FullHD) - HD ready - silver, piano black at Backoffice

that's the current tv, working fine. Can I greatly improve image quality without losing the decent audio, reliable tele?

not for games or films. ( 1080p projector in another room for games). it's the family tv in lounge.

We don't have an aerial, we do have a dish.

We're talking a Humax Freesat box. so 720p and to be fair plenty of low-def tv 480p ??

any Netflix implementation would be via WIFI through a stone wall. i currently receive about 50mbps when wired, what would i get through a stone wall? Small chance i could cable it up.

i'd like good value
    I'd prefer decent enough sound without having to buy a soundbar/other.
    probably absolute max. 40-45 fine. 50" perfect
    viewing distance probably 4-5m.
    would there be lots of HDR content on netflix, is it worth having quality HDR? really?
    is moving from 8bit to 10bit panel going to be noticable on tv series/news?
    for years i've thought i'd wait until OLED is sub £1000 area. now i realise i probably don't need OLED and indeed they won't make one small enough for me!

i'm just as interested in opinions as much as products/vendors.

much obliged.

2. Best Answer:
    Post #4 by Dodgexander, Sep 4, 2018 (1 points)
  3. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +804
    I’d just keep your current set unless you’re planning on 4K/HDR sources - 4K player, Netflix, Prime, Sky Q or similar.

4. lance.carter

lance.carter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I should have made it clear, i do think we'll end up with a netflix subscription in the near future, probably for tv series' rather than films.

i think the biggest conundrum is it's a relatively small screen these days, ruling out flagship teles...what does that leave if you want a decent tele, don't want to buy a cheap supermarket thing?

5. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,032
    Best Answer
    Theres a few potential issues I can see when it comes to making your selection:

1. You view at 4-5m, away, that far away is well beyond noticing UHD content or even FHD content on 50" TV. To make the most of high quality sources you want a much bigger TV than 50".
    2. You still use normal TV. HD channels are going to look alright on an UHD model, maybe a little softer. SD channels probably won't look as good as your current TV.
    3. Sound. Very subjective of course and it depends what you are used to but most TVs sound awful now, there isn't really one model that sounds better than the next unless it has some kind of built in soundbar. A better solution would be to buy a soundbar to use with the TV. Having said that I really don't know how good your current TV sounds, its likely just as bad as todays models unless its of the much "thicker".

Your current TV uses an IPS panel so getting a new model with a VA type panel would get you better contrast and maybe colour too..but at the same time VA panels have narrow viewing angles. Do you need wide viewing angles?

Some notes:
    1. Every TV now is pretty much marketted with HDR, there is a big difference between how entry models display it compared to higher end models. A lot of TVs are very poor with HDR to the point where they look better without it enabled...although with built in apps this can be a problem sometimes when you can't disable it.
    2. Panel bit depth is not important at all with HDR and having a 10bit panel on a TV isn't going to improve colour of older 8bit sources.
    3. UHD TVs are not going to polish old content and make it look better, the more upscaling that has to be done by the TV the worse it will look. Buy a new UHD TV with lots of high quality sources planned, not if you want to just use it for normal TV otherwise you may be disappointed.
    High quality sources would be Netflix, if you watch modern series. Amazon prime with things like the grand tour and UHD Blu-Rays/HDR games consoles.
    4. You can still buy FHD models now if you value the upscaling of poorer quality content.

I would ask:
    1. Do you need wide viewing angles?
    2. How much regular TV watching will do you do and how important is its quality to you? For example do you watch programmes on TV that are always on the HD channels or do you often watch programmes on channels unavailable in HD? On freeview channel 1-5 are in HD and will look okay on an UHD model. Other channels not so much.
    3. Do you need to keep the humax box or can you forget recording and revert to using catch up TV instead?

6. lance.carter

lance.carter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks Dodge. i'm getting the feeling that waiting until OLED is available on smaller sets would potentially work.

yes i do probably need viewing angles, but without measuring i'd guess easily 45 degrees and if i recall anything other than oled+IPS would be a mare.

hard to say what we'll watch in future but right now yes it's low-def mixed with 1-3+5 HD. ( Channel 4 wouldn't pony up for Freesat!)

yes rather keen to keep the link-recording humax stuff.......the EPG software would have to be stunning to match how slick the humax is regards finding/playing older stuff.

i'm getting the feeling i should just get the ps3 working with netflix and use that at lower bit rate for now.

7. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,032
    You definitely need an IPS panel if you need those wide viewing angles from an LCD. The best LCDs for contrast, blacks and screen uniformity use VA type panels which have very narrow viewing angles.

Not sure which Humax freesat box you own but you should be receiving 1080i from the HD channels and 576i from the SD ones. If you have it set to 720p then you may already be at a quality loss in HD.

You could either keep what you have and pair it with a smart solution, PS3 will do Netflix FHD. Roku devices are also very good for easy to use smart TV.

Even if an LCD existed with wide viewing angles that was also good with HDR its questionable whether its worth it just for Netflix. It may be if you went the full shebang with UHD Blu-Rays with HDR, HDR consoles etc

I would think about either keeping what you have or getting a stop gap TV like this: Sony KDL49WE663BU 49 Inch Full HD 1080p HDR Freeview Smart WiFi LED TV 4548736053571 | eBay for only £430 although not sure how much better it will be than your current TV.

An UHD stop gap TV with better colour with HDR Netflix titles but poorer handling of SD content would be something like this:
    Sony Bravia KD49XF8096 LED HDR 4K Ultra HD Smart Android TV, 49" with Freeview HD & Youview, Black at John Lewis & Partners

Although it has to be said, now its harder and harder to find a 2017 model at a good price, looking at better UHD options from 2017 was very difficult. On the right deal you may be able to pick up a better UHD model at £600 or the same model closer to £500..black Friday being the first time we see the best deals.

8. lance.carter

lance.carter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks @Dodgexander yes the 1080 stop gap LCD potentially a good idea, better image quality, larger screen, wifi/smart tele, so yes we'd be getting more than we have. i think i'll get onto the 30 day subscription for netflix on the ps3 and see just how much we use it and decide whether it's a 'stop gap' or keep waiting until the holy grail of viewing angles/smaller tele/HDR/4k come together in a price that's reasonable value!

9. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,032
    Good idea, the most you can get now really is a TV that will give you a taster for HDR, no high peak brightness only better colours. But its only source dependant and if your only source is Netflix I'm not sure its having HDR at all. Here's a list of HDR titles currently on Netflix: This Is The Full List of All 4K And HDR Content Available Now on Netflix -

Only a selection are 4k & HDR so even with the content available its not much...not yet anyway.

Maybe in the future when the holy grail does exist at 50" there will be a lot more HDR content on Netflix to enjoy.

10. lance.carter

lance.carter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Wow that list is really useful, it really highlights that there's very little in the way of HDR content right now outside of video games. I think i'll wait until that tele dies, wait for the next gen of playstation, and spend my money on the gaming room, where i probably care more about image quality!