What 5.1 System & Amp to buy as a starter set

AshDavis3

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a set up to include 5.1 speakers with amp. I've read that people advise to spend at least £1k but I'm not looking to spend that sort of cash right now I'm afraid.

I'm hoping to keep to a budget of £500. I know this is a stretch but I'm not looking for the highest quality of a sound going! just a nice set for the money. Ideally want smallish/ discreet speakers that I can fix to the wall and not the standalone ones. I also don't want to get 2nd hand, would rather everything as new.

I haven't done this before so not sure what else I need to mention but happy to answer any questions if need be. Also - Going is there a huge difference when you experience surround more than just front facing speakers?

Thanks! :)

£500 is a bit of a funny budget in that it is a bot more than a very basic set but not really enough to get to the next level of equipment either. Hence I would be tempted to save a bit and get something like this:
Yamaha 5.1 Package System inc Speakers excluding DVD Player
For your full budget then either the Wharfedale DX1 or Tannoy HTS101XP with an Onkyo 252 or Pioneer 531 receiver would be worth a look.
All are available from Richer Sounds so see if you can have a listen to all 3 and then decide if it is worth paying the extra for the separates.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom