Question what 49/50" tv

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by 23484062, Jan 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. 23484062

Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all I am looking to buy a new tv, max size 50" I view through a Sky HD + box but do not subscribe to Sky HD I mainly watch sports ie football, and films, I would like a smart tv for youtube etc, I have looked at the Panasonic tx50ex700e and the Philips 50pus6272, does anyone have experience of these 2 tv's or any other recommendations, at the moment I have an old Sharp LC 32DH500E that gives a very good picture in standard definition but I now need a larger screen, many thanks for any advice.

2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399
    If you want a larger screen but still want standard definition tv you look good then you might be better off looking at a second hand plasma and a dedicated smart solution...smart tv built into tv's is best replaced anyway.

As for which tv's to buy new I would recommend one of the Samsung FHD models such as the M5500/M5510/M5520.

3. 23484062

Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dodgexander many thanks for your reply, I am really thinking ahead, my Skybox is getting old and I will have to replace it with a Sky Q box and bite the bullet and pay for HD, I just thought it would make sense to get an HD tv now, I have been getting youtube through Chromecast for 2 years but it seems to have packed up, is that what you meant by a Smart solution ?, I dont really want to buy second hand especially as a plasma tv could be quite old, at the moment I am trying to find out how much extra Sky HD would cost me, I will have a look at the Samsungs you suggested and keep you posted.

4. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399
    So what quality sources will you have? UHD? HD?

Are we talking films through UHD blu-rays with an UHD Blu-Ray player or just HD Blu-Rays or DVDs?

Are sports watched via Sky? Will you be paying for only HD or also UHD channels?

The only reason I recommended the FHD models is because they upscale standard definition content well compared to UHD models, particularly SD TV which is very poor quality for today's standard.

If you watch lots of TV there is a good chance you will be using SD only channels a lot, but it depends which channels you watch.

As a general rule of thumb:

Watch lots of SD TV = Better off getting a FHD model
    Lots of HD TV = Its fine getting a UHD model.
    Lots of UHD TV = Definitely get an UHD model.

5. 23484062

Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I watch sports on sky, I have a basic dvd player and no means of watching programs on hd or uhd, I dont want to spend 700 quid on a 4k uhd tv and find the picture is poor quality in SD, I just want a set that gives me a picture comparable to my Sharp but with internet access if that is possible, if not I will try and find a standard tv and buy a new chromecast, I just thought that if I was buying a new tv I would buy a smart one and ditch the troublesome chromecast many thanks for your reply.

6. 23484062

Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BTW, I had a look at the 3 Samsungs you suggested and they had fairly poor reports for watching sports and films, and they are about the only things on tv that I watch, so quite important.

7. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399
    The quality of the FHD models is about on par with the UHD models overall, of course the UHD models give UHD compatibility whilst the FHD models upscale SD content better.

There is nothing about the M series Samsung's that is going to be worse than say the MU series UHD samsungs when it comes to sport/films.

To better them visually with motion/blacks you are probably looking at spending a lot more money, possibly on an OLED.

8. 23484062

Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that very sound advise,it tells me what I wanted to know about the quality of the picture when upscaled from SD content so I will try and get a demo on the Samsung M range, no point buying a tv that I dont need. Thanks again.