What 43” TV for a bedroom

Jon Weaver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
Following my question last week asking which 40” TV, i have now found i can fit a 43”.. So can i ask the question again?

I just need a simple TV where a picture and sound quality are the most important features.

It needs to be small (no bezel), slim and light,.

I dont need 4K and never will.. and i dont really need ay Smart features as i am just feeding it SkyQ.

Ideally i would like to be able to turn off all the picture “enhancement” as i hate them…

The only thing i need to consider is the viewing angle as it will be high and i will be looking ip at it,, that said, my mount has a 5 degree title so its possible i might be looking directly at it and viewing angle might not be as important as i think.

Currently i am looking at the Hisense 43A7GQTUK as it seems to get decent reviews… but i am open to anything,

Jon

You’re quoting a Hisense model that is 4k & you’re also using sky Q - that’s also packing 4k content pending the package you have of course.

If you never will need 4k maybe save money and buy a used tv from the classifieds section- place a wanted add up maybe - for a 1080p in good nick…..but…

You’ve also stated you want the tv to be bezelless, slim & light- all synonymous with a new tv so guessing of the budget is there, just accept the 4k capabilities?

You’re quoting a Hisense model that is 4k & you’re also using sky Q - that’s also packing 4k content pending the package you have of course.

If you never will need 4k maybe save money and buy a used tv from the classifieds section- place a wanted add up maybe - for a 1080p in good nick…..but…

You’ve also stated you want the tv to be bezelless, slim & light- all synonymous with a new tv so guessing of the budget is there, just accept the 4k capabilities?
Hi Dazzor.. Cost is not the significant factor.. But I don't want to spend money for the sake of it..

I am a Plasma/OLED snob and vowed I would never buy a LED/LCD but needs must.. I know LG are bringing out a 42" OLED this year, but its just too much for what I a want.

I need to be realistic.. Its a Bedroom TV which I watch when going to bed.. I don't NEED anything special.

I personally don't get 4K and certainly don't think its necessary on a 40" TV, but thats just me. But I have no problem buying a 4K TV (And just using it for 1080) if its the right choice.. The Hisense at £290 seems like a bargain

But then again, you can get an HD model (43AE70000FTUK) for a lot less, so wonder if thats a better choice?

I just looked at Amazon today and the price has shot up, so the A7GQ is no longer less than £300.. That will teach me for not biting last night when I saw it..

Looks like I need to do a bit more research.

Hi Dazzor.. Cost is not the significant factor.. But I don't want to spend money for the sake of it..

I am a Plasma/OLED snob and vowed I would never buy a LED/LCD but needs must.. I know LG are bringing out a 42" OLED this year, but its just too much for what I a want.

I need to be realistic.. Its a Bedroom TV which I watch when going to bed.. I don't NEED anything special.

I personally don't get 4K and certainly don't think its necessary on a 40" TV, but thats just me. But I have no problem buying a 4K TV (And just using it for 1080) if its the right choice.. The Hisense at £290 seems like a bargain

But then again, you can get an HD model (43AE70000FTUK) for a lot less, so wonder if thats a better choice?

I just looked at Amazon today and the price has shot up, so the A7GQ is no longer less than £300.. That will teach me for not biting last night when I saw it..

Looks like I need to do a bit more research.
Ah I see. I loved my old Kuro 5090 & vowed to go OLED when the time was right after having a 65” KS7000- I’ve ended up ordering a FALD Sony led- still not sure but the potential abuse my household puts a tv under made me sweat a bit when I think about OLED tech on the living room wall.

Well not much help but if I was spending £300+ on a bedroom tv, I’d be inclined to go OLED but second hand & aim for some transferable warranty- but that’s just me.

A7G fits the bill being cheap and having Dolby Vision.
Premium option would be the Panasonic JX8xx models sold at 40" but they tend to be more expensive and not that much better.
Or even better, the new LG C2 OLED at 42".

I just ordered a 43" A6G, as the price on Amazon dropped to £259 with 10% off.. So £244.. I would have gone for the A7G if it was the price at the weekend (£322-10%), but I figured that for what I am using it for (a bedroom) to just watch Sky over HDMI, it won't make much difference.

So fingers crossed I won't spend my time picking fault with it and can just enjoy it for what it is...

I just ordered a 43" A6G, as the price on Amazon dropped to £259 with 10% off.. So £244.. I would have gone for the A7G if it was the price at the weekend (£322-10%), but I figured that for what I am using it for (a bedroom) to just watch Sky over HDMI, it won't make much difference.

So fingers crossed I won't spend my time picking fault with it and can just enjoy it for what it is...
good luck, be interested to know if this is a va or ips panel & your thoughts on it

good luck, be interested to know if this is a va or ips panel & your thoughts on it
I read yesterday its a VA, but I can't be 100% sure.. Is there any way to tell?

Edit: Found a review?

Why couldn't I find this when I needed it.. There is a table at the end showing which panels are used in which size and the 43" has IPS apparently..

Looks like the A7G has a VA panel... Now I know they are different this might have changed my decision...

My viewing angle is fixed and I will be looking at it from below, so perhaps an IPS is better.. But my mount has a 5 degree tilt so it might be able to point it straight at me.. So a VA might have been better for this application??

Last edited:
Va tend to have better backs and contrast BUT only when viewed directly in front. Not sure about above or below but they lose colour & contrast at narrow angles from side to side although it will depend on manufacturer to what extent. With ips panels there is a lower contrast & worse back level to start but you can view at greater angles without picture degradation. After having plasma & oled for me it is very annoying having to pick either type of lcd tbh although YMMV

Va tend to have better backs and contrast BUT only when viewed directly in front. Not sure about above or below but they lose colour & contrast at narrow angles from side to side although it will depend on manufacturer to what extent. With ips panels there is a lower contrast & worse back level to start but you can view at greater angles without picture degradation. After having plasma & oled for me it is very annoying having to pick either type of lcd tbh although YMMV
:) Tell me about it... All of my TVs are Plasma, except my living room which is OLED.

I am a TV snob and admit it. And I vowed I would never own a "large" LCD/LED TV.. If I could put one of my 50" Plasmas in the bedroom as I did in the old house I would.. But a 43" with slim bezel is the biggest I can fit into the corner.

So I am going to have to accept it for what it is.... The 42" LG OLED which is due is certainly the solution.. But I need to be realistic that this is just a bedroom TV that I use for an hour or so each night, so its just not worth the investment..

Fingers crossed the Hisense will be acceptable.. And if not, that I can just come to terms that its just a cheap TV serving a purpose.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom