What 42" televisions have good zoom functionality?

chrismr

Established Member
Reaction score
I hate wide aspect ratios such as 2.35:1. It makes the picture look smaller and I feel like I am wasting huge chunks of my tele. I would much rather lose a little detail on the side of the image.

So what 42" tele's have good zoom functionality that would allow me to fill the screen (without stretching) and doesn't degrade the picture quality much? While I am more interested in LCD, I would also like to hear about plasmas which do this nicely, if any.

My primary concern is blu-ray films, so retaining picture quality is a must, otherwise I won't waste my time considering 42" tele's.

you will never get a tv that will let you zoom up a 2:35:1 movie without stretching it or losing massive amounts off the sides.
learn to embrace the borders...

I hate wide aspect ratios such as 2.35:1. It makes the picture look smaller and I feel like I am wasting huge chunks of my tele. I would much rather lose a little detail on the side of the image.

So what 42" tele's have good zoom functionality that would allow me to fill the screen (without stretching) and doesn't degrade the picture quality much? While I am more interested in LCD, I would also like to hear about plasmas which do this nicely, if any.

My primary concern is blu-ray films, so retaining picture quality is a must, otherwise I won't waste my time considering 42" tele's.
This thread might be of interest to you:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-...lds-first-21-9-ratio-lcd-tv-january-29-a.html

It's going to be a 56" though.

As far as Plasma goes the Panasonic PX80 can zoom in. The picture isn't distorted. I don't think it would lose much quality as I presume the 'zoom' would be done before the final downscale to the screen size.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom