Question What 4 bay NAS for my needs?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by rh-keith, Aug 2, 2018.

1. rh-keith

rh-keith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Looking for a 4 bay NAS, aware of Synology DS418 options and QNAP TS-4xx options but not sure what exact model meets my needs. Eg how much processing power and memory do I need...

- Primary need is to store and play media (h265 4K, BR rips etc) via Nvidia Shield and Vero. Not at the same time and it doesn’t need to transcode.
    - store PC/Laptop backups
    - store photo backups
    - secondary storage for VM's on a NUC homelab running esxi

So out of the Synology DS418J / DS418 / DS418 play and QNAP TS-431P / TS-431P2 / TS-451A / TS-451+ which meets my needs as they range from €300 to €500 excluding drives? Or, is there an alternative 4 bay solution?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  2. rh-keith

rh-keith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Oh, and a poor UI etc doesn't bother me. I love tinkering around

3. Sloppy Bob

Sloppy Bob
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,307
    The cheapest one will do you fine. It's only serving data and doesn't need anything above the minimum to do that.
    The only difference you'd see is when it's running it's own systems to do parity checks or rebuild an array if you were running some form of RAID, that would take longer and even with a decently powered NAS it's not quick.

One advantage to Synology IMO is that it can run it's own hybrid raid (SHR). With traditional RAID all the drives need to be the same size or the NAS will only see them as the size of the first drive you install.
    With SHR you can mix drives and as long as you have 2 of your largest drive installed it will see all the drive space. If you have a large media library this can be beneficial as you can just pull a drive and slot in a larger one if you need more space.

RAID Calculator | Synology Inc.

The advantage to QNAP would be that for the same money you'd normally get a more powerful NAS.

4. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,331
    I think you may enjoy the challenge of running Xpenology on a microserver then.

You may find it everything that you need in a nas.

My server is an HP N54L Microserver, but there are more recent versions. That is fine though and can be picked up very inexpensively.

5. Sloppy Bob

Sloppy Bob
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,307
    That's a very good point, I'd note that blue max isn't referring to a poor UI but your love of tinkering around.

Xpenology is basically the Synology OS, just you're running it on an HP microserver.

6. rh-keith

rh-keith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    so its down to Synology DS418j (€310 delivered) and QNAP TS-431P (€280 delivered), near same h/w spec. Ruling out SHR, does one have better s/w over the other or thats really a personal opinion with little difference eg go for the qnap and save myself €30?!

7. rh-keith

rh-keith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Oh, does these ARM based boxes have enough juice to run a torrent client? Is one better over the other with their native s/w or is it better to just run a docker container with what ever flavor I want?