What 37-40" LED Smart TV?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Livebox, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Livebox

Livebox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm already overwhelmed by a couple of days research and could really use some help!

Budget: up to £600
    Screen size: 37-40" (max)
    Tuner: Freeview HD
    Smart TV: Yes, with in-built WiFi
    3D TV: couldn't give a rat's wotsit

I would rather get a better manufacturer with less features than a shoddy one with more, but the above are pretty much non-negotiable.

Any wise words from the forum will be very much appreciated.

2. Loopthrough

Loopthrough

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +523
    Sony KDL40HX753BU. 3D seems unavoidable, but that doesn't mean you have to use it! If you don't mind buying an add-on wifi adapter (goes on the back out of sight) the Sony KDL40EX723BU (older model, but can be found online) apparently has even better contrast!

Digitalversus is very helpful I found.

3. Livebox

Livebox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Nice one Loopthrough.

I'll have a look at your suggestions this weekend.

I am considering upping the budget!

4. Loopthrough

Loopthrough

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +523
    No problem. I've tried too many TVs in search of the perfect mix of picture and classiness - and Sony are always my top choice, closely followed by Panasonic. Everyone buys Samsung and LG, but the build quality sucks and you find most of the features (especially online apps) are junk. At least Sony keep it to mostly stuff you're actually likely to use.

5. Livebox

Livebox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Apologies for going quiet.

I'm back on the TV shopping radar again and, after much research and deliberation, I have revised my original criteria:

Budget: £1,000-ish (gulp)
    Screen size: 40" (max)
    Tuner: Freeview HD
    Smart TV: Yes, with in-built WiFi
    3D TV: I'm actually warming to the idea; future-proofing and all that!

I've ruled out Panasonic as I wasn't overly impressed with the inside edges between the bezel and screen. I know that sounds a bit pedantic but it really was an issue! I also read that the glossy screens can be quite reflective.

Experience that Life isn't so Good with LG rules them out as well.

I had narrowed things down to Sony's 40HX853 and Samsung's 40ES8000. There are pros and cons with each but the reviews on both seem to stack up.

I've long held a torch for Sony but I was quite impressed with the Samsung (bear in mind that I'm upgrading from an early 32" LCD panel circa 2005 so I'm likely to be impressed by most of the new stuff).

Then confusion was dropped on me by those evil blighters releasing their new ranges.

I guess the primary question now is: do I keep an eye on my original two-horse race and see if either of them get the smack of a 'discontinued model' special offer, or do I build the new ranges into my tedious dilemma?

There's just too much flipping choice with things these days, and everything moves so fast. Poor old giffer, eh!?