1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What 32" TV should I buy?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by TGOOD0973, Jan 18, 2002.

1. TGOOD0973

TGOOD0973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone please give me advice, I want a 32" widescreen television and DVD/CD surround sound system, I have £1500 to spend?

2. js

js

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you after a 50hz or a 100hz TV ?

3. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have no recommendations other than to avoid Philips. I'm sorry for the length of this but it is a long story I'm telling.

I have gone through two of their sets in the last few months after my wonderful old Philips projection TV had done its work. I was happy with that old set while it lasted, but after those two new sets I'll never buy one of their products again, not even a battery.

First I bought a 32PW8707, which turned out to have serious problems with geometry, especially with 60Hz signals. The picture became completely shapeless. It got shrunk vertically and bent in all sorts of directions horizontally. It was simply unbearable. I sent it in for adjustment but it wasn't possible to correct this error since it's a design fault in this series of chassis (EMG, EM2E, EM3E...). After about a month the TV started producing a high pitched whine and I returned it to the store.

I chose to upgrade to another Philips set which has a more advanced chassis (MG3.1). I did this simply because I had chosen Philips over other brands since I prefered their Real Flat picture tube. It's among the flattest tubes and has excellent purity in the sets I've seen. The set I chose to upgrade to was the 32PW9616, which is old but still a reference set for many A/V mags and still Philips' flagship next to their plasma FlatTV.

However, even though I'd checked out every 32PW9616 I could find and made sure to find out everything about it, I got something else. The 32PW9616 I have has a different picture tube (Panasonic instead of Philips own tube) and a different feature box, i.e. the digital 100Hz processing part. The picture is really soft and in the corners it's dark and fuzzy. It looks like a badly calibrated projection TV. It's impossible to get a sharp image even with the sharpness raised to full.

The Panasonic tube is not this fuzzy in Panasonic's own sets. It is however just as curved as a regular picture tube behind the glass. It's nowhere near flat compared to Philips', Sony's or Thomson's tubes (some tubes from the latter two are genuinely flat on the inside). If I can't get hold of a 32PW9616 with the correct Philips tube I'm getting a Sony. I'm tired of Philips' BS and their retarded customer support.

So if you get a Philips nowadays, you're at great risk of getting either a faulty chassis, a completely different picture tube, or both. Don't mind the people who say they're happy with Philips; those days are over now.

...I forgot to mention the menu on the TV crashed yesterday and the TV went black when I tried to get out of it. Nothing a few minutes switchoff couldn't cure, but was it ever so fun to miss my favourite show.

4. TGOOD0973

TGOOD0973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably 100hz.

5. js

js

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not in the know about 100hz but read through this forum and you can definitely rule some out :)
    It is very difficult to work out really as £1500 for the whole setup is not quite enough for a decent 100hz TV and DVD/CD surround
    Thomson do a cheaper 100hz set, i've seen them in Comet but the picture was hard to rate as they were using crap sources.
    I can only really advise to go to a load of stores and find the best picture you can find. Remember if you want a separate DVD surround setup you would only need a Nicam TV, there isn't any point spending more for a Prologic set.
    Anyone have any ideas?