What 32" LCD to get for about £800?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Waynej, Mar 8, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    I was initially eyeing up the samsung le32r41, but have rwead that there are problems with the power supply.

Now the catch is I can only buy from COMET, basically our 32" CRT has been written off so we've got £480 of the price of a new TV.

I have been keeping an eye on these forums regularly so I feel quite clued up about this HD thing. But it wouldn't hurt for some final advice before we make purchase.

This one looks good to me :
    http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/455_309125.html

Would like to read your recommnedations either way. I have 3 weeks to make purchase otherwise they wont let me get nothing.

Now it may also be worth noting that accross the road from Comet, is Curry's. And further in town is Argos. So I'm assuming I could blag a possible discount as Argos seems the cheapest. How would I go about this, could I just ask for a pricematch with Argos/Currys?

Looking at spending a total(this is with the £480 voucher included) about £800 - £850... Can't really strech much more than that.

:lease:

2. badbob

badbob
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    The 32LX2R is supposed to be a better set than that one, something to do with inputs and XD. I have the 32LX2R but it's going back, gonna re-order the same model.

3. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    anymore recommendations as what lcd to get from comet?

4. dvdphile

dvdphile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
    If it were me I'd go for the sharp 32p50e!:smashin:

Have a read about it in this forum, it's got very good reviews if you don't need true Hi-def!:)

Gary

5. Giblets2

Giblets2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    ...but you DO need true Hi-Def, so get the LG. :thumbsup:

6. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    This model of LG that your on about, is it actually available from Currys?

Or are you on about the same one that I posted in my first post.

Also, can I get them to price match there own online store?

EDIT- Been having a look onling at the LG 32LX2R and it looks bloody good to me.

Does anyone else have this LG 32LX2R LCD TV, I'd like to read your thoughs on it, and what the quality is like. Especially with Xbox 360 via either component or VGA.

7. badbob

badbob
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    It should be available from Dixons, they are the same group (DSG retail) Can't see why Dixons or PC World won't accept a Curries voucher. Check Dixons online.

That LG is on Curries site, just postcode /availability.

8. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    Don't think I said Curry's, sorry if i did. I meant COMET, voucher is for COMET.

Even if COMET don't have it in stock, they can order it surely?

Liking this LG one though from what u guys have been telling me. As long as its the best available for the price range then I'll be happy.

What other TV's around the £800 - £900 mark are worth looking at.

any samsumg, hitachi or sharp LCD's worth looking at also?

9. Giblets2

Giblets2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    My local Comet had an LG 32LX2R in stock on demo when I was buying mine - was over £100 more than Dixons though...

10. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    Thats not so bad. I just got off the phone with comet, which I asked them about 2 LCD TV's; LG 32LX21 and the Samsung LE32R41BD which are both £1000... which is over my budget.

But they did say they would price match any store within 10 miles. So stores I can think of are, Argos, Dixons and Currys.

Looks like I'm going to be getting either the LG or the Samsung then. If anyone knows, what is best, connection and picture wise?

What is the response time of the LG and Samsung. I had been planning for a long time to get the Samsung as it seemed the 'safe' choice as everyone seems to have it.

Thanks for mentioning Dixons Giblets2, I may very well get them to price match. Also, you say you've bought? Can you post your impressions of it, and if you have an Xbox 360 let me know what its like with that. (Did you buy from comet or dixons? if comet were they ok about the price match?)
    More advice welcome as I won't be going down to the store til Monday.

11. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    Also, I'd like some advice, as I get the feeling I'm being conned.

If you've read through this thread you'll know that I have £500 voucher to spend in COMET. I also have 1 + 1/2 years of warranty left over from the damaged set. They did say that would be transferred to our new TV, so you get the standard 1 year + our 1 and half years.

But now there saying that only applied if we got a TV of similar value. i.e. another 32" CRT tv. But when we want to go in there and give them the £500 voucher and another £400 to a HDTV they say then that the warranty will be void and we'd have to pay a minnimum of £250 for a 5 year warranty.

If they do have the right to do that, then theres no way I can afford that.

Advice please, do they have the right to do that, or are they trying to blag £250 worth of cover out of me when they should transfer my 1 and a half years anyway.

What I was expecting is this. To buy the new LG 32LX2R pricematched with Dixons at £900. Then insurance wise u get 1 year cover as standard + my remaing cover of 1 and a half years to give me a total of 2 and half years cover on the new set.

12. blakey1

blakey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    The Sharp GA6e get good reviews and you could consider the Toshiba WL56.

To be honest you need to get down to Comets and view some sets playing HD and SD and then decide. Remember that HD will be better on some sets and not so good on others.

Active Home has a pretty good SD and HD review of 10 of Top 32 inch LCD's. You maybe be surprised to read that some get pretty poor HD ratings and mosts SD rating is poor.

The Sammy R series gets the award for the best Value and its HD is rated a pretty good. The problem is its SD via RGB which a fair few have commented on here.

As I say though let your own eyes decide

13. Vallyboy

Vallyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I do know that with my TV cover, Domestic and General, when they were forced to give me the money on a set 3 years old, the monies were sufficient to purchase a current set of equivalent quality, but the insurance then became null and void as it was cover for a specific item, that was now scrap.

The bottom line is you need to spend some time reading the T's&C's of the insurance as no company can make them up as you go along, spend some time with the small print and if they know you have read it they will be less inclined to try to bluff you. Confirm that you have to have a replacement from them and not the money, find out why you have this time limit ect.

It is war you know.:devil:

14. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    By money do you mean it's possible for me to get cash?

Currently I have a latter which entitles me to a replacement TV. though if I want to I can request vouchers for the amount instead to be spent in-store. That of course voids the warranty.

The one thing I forgot to ask, was whether there would be a time limit on the vouchers. As I am in no rush to go out and get a TV.

Sure I'v been planning to get one for the past few years but I could wait. The only thing I would use it for is my Xbox360, but I'v got that hooked up to my 19" widescreen monitor atm, so at least I'm getting HD just not on a massive screen.

15. Giblets2

Giblets2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    Waynej, just do a search on 32LX2R to see how happy people are with theirs, I bought online from Dixons just before Xmas for £864 but I've seen cheaper. I certainly don't regret buying it and, if stolen, would buy the same without hesitation. I've been a bit of an LG 'fanboy' on here as a result but I'm convinced it's better than many others for much more money - 1:1 pixel mapping on VGA, DVI and HDMI does it for me - no other screen I'm aware of for any price does that - I'm sure someone'll correct me! ;)

Not got a 360, so can't tell you on that score - My old XBox looks bloody good via SCART though :rolleyes: - yeah, I know...

16. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    lol, good good. Will be taking my 360 with me on Monday and hook it up to a few sets their. If I can get a 2 year guarantee for about £100-£150 then I will go for the 32", but if they feel it necessary to force me into 5 years at £250 then I'll go for the 26" version.

I'd love like a 40" :) as were used to the 32" CRT that fecked up, so we don't really wont anything smaller. We could just get another CRT, but it would seem a waste of the £500 voucher in a way.

17. SCo4

SCo4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ask them why they dont honour the european standard 2 year warranty whilst your there, stir up a bit of trouble ;) mention Blair, finance sector, and in their pockets LOL

the xbox 360 will look good on almost anything, due to the inbuilt scaler and v.good quality video circuits (compared to the older toys).
    Just look out for lag, try it on a CRT first then straight to LCD for a lag test, preferbaly with RR6.

18. joldinash

joldinash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the LG32LX2r and its the biz. Idon't have an x-box but i had my ps2 running on it via the bog-standard composite inputs and it looked great. my home cinema dvd player is connected with component and the picture is ace, even with dvd's that looked a bit grainy on my old CRT.

I got mine from John Lewis for £980 with their 5 year parts and labour guarantee for free. it's £1095 in the shop but they price matched one i had seen in currys. Considering a 3 year warranty from the likes of Curry's or Comet is about £300 this was a great piece of business in my opinion. Go for it - you won't regret it!

19. Radyr

Radyr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Got my LG for £859 from Sound & Vision

It truly is a superb bit of kit, the DVI input with a pc hooked up is truly beautiful (Writing this on it just now ;)) Blacks are very good, loads of connections and although the TV quality isn't fabulous it's not as bad as i expected and i have seen worse on other lcd tvs. Connection through RGB scart is good.

Few pics :-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Picture grain is due to shoddy camera.

20. blakey1

blakey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Although the Sharp is not HD Ready this is simply down to it downscaling to 540p many who have seen it running HD have seen no difference between it and a HD ready set and its SD performance is second to none.

As the OP is taking his Xbox 360 to Comet I would certainly not rule out a demo of it running HD and with the Xbox360 as he might be surprised.

21. Giblets2

Giblets2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    You took your time blakey! :rotfl:

22. blakey1

blakey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Been spending my time upseting some on the Sky HD forum.:eek: :D People dont seem to like my suggestions of testing out the HD potential of all sets. I dont know why:) Some seem worried that the HD potential of the Sharp may show up their HD ready sets:eek:

It may not but no harm giving it a test run especially when its only £699 at Currys these days. Seems like a lot of shops have it running HD against the HD ready sets. So those buying should check it out. Cant see the harm.