What 32"-42" TV to get for £300-350?

EnfieldBlue

Standard Member
Hi folks,

My mum is looking to get my brother a TV for Xmas and seeing as she can't be bothered to do research :))), I said I'd help. She has a budget of £300-350 and we think a 32" to 42" would be about the right size. He'll use it for gaming. films and general TV. I think he'd be best with a plasma and after researching my own new TV (which will be a PANASONIC VIERA TX-P42S30B - thanks to all the posters on here!), I'm inclined to go with a Panasonic.

Can you get a decent plasma for that money, or should they go with an LED? I'm thinking there might be decent LG or Samsung alternatives.

Many thanks if you can help.

vickster

Distinguished Member
For those uses, plasma will be great. Review of the S30 in the review section to read. Bit over budget perhaps?

EnfieldBlue

Standard Member
Bit over budget perhaps?

Thanks for the reply - yeah, I think it is a bit. I'm going to go for that one for my Xmas pressie though! Do you know what the TXP42U30B is like? Comet are doing it for £399 and she might be able to stretch to that.

Failing that, I guess it might have to be LED? I haven't seen much in the way of decent plasmas for under £350. I forgot to add in my original post, it must be full HD.

vickster

Distinguished Member
The S30 is probably worth the extra...can you help your mum out? ;) Why does it have to be full HD? How close will he be sat?

EnfieldBlue

Standard Member
The S30 is probably worth the extra...can you help your mum out? ;) Why does it have to be full HD? How close will he be sat?

I was going to help out at £399 :)! He'll probably be lying on his bed watching it - not sure how far away, I'll have to ask. I'm guessing 10-12 ft. I want it to be HD as he'll be taking it with him when he gets his own place and I'm thinking of getting him a blu-ray player for his buffday.

vickster

Distinguished Member
At 12 foot he won't notice the difference most likely even with bluray but understand the reasons :)

EnfieldBlue

Standard Member
After discussions with my mum, reading posts on here and prompting from Vickster :D, (and also cos it's my brother's 21st soon), we've decided to stretch to the TX-P42S30B. I have a quick couple of Qs before buying though:
I've seen it for £451 on Amazon and Dixons - do John Lewis price-match those or only stores with retail outlets? I'm also a bit concerned that the price will drop after Xmas - I read that John Lewis will match for up to 28 days after purchase - is that correct?

Also, it's going to be wall-mounted. Brackets are extortionate in the high-street retailers. Can anyone recommend decent retailers or point me in the direction of a thread?

Thanks.

vickster

Distinguished Member
Only retail stores, yes JL will match bricks and mortar stores for up to 28 days (or indeed themselves if they drop the price in the sale)

There is a whole bracket forum to peruse

EnfieldBlue

Standard Member
Only retail stores, yes JL will match bricks and mortar stores for up to 28 days (or indeed themselves if they drop the price in the sale)

There is a whole bracket forum to peruse

Cool - thanks! I just saw the Bracket forum, doh! :), there's a cheap one from Amazon for £9 plus nearly £9 delivery that looks like it'll do the job nicely.

vickster

Distinguished Member
I wouldn't buy anything too cheap - double check that it can take the weight of the plasma (they are heavier than LCDs) - Panasonic site will give weight of plasma - you don't want it smashing to the floor taking the wall with it, ending up with a £1000 bill. At £9 I expect it'll be made of Chinese cheese (and probably suitable for a 19" TV)

EnfieldBlue

Standard Member
That's good advice ta. However, it'll hold 75kg (32"-55") and the Panasonic weighs 20kg. It's also made of reinforced steel, not cheese ;). Although I'd be happy if I could eat it once I'm done with it! There's 312 comments on Amazon too, so plenty to go on.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom