1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what 28'' widescreen?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by phenom2003, Mar 2, 2003.

1. phenom2003

phenom2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm considering buying a new television for my bedroom. Does anybody know of a 28'' widescreen set with 3 scarts (2 rgb enabled) for under £500. 100hz,flatscreen would be nice but not essential.Thanks in advance

2. martinthorn

martinthorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I should be getting a Thomson 28WF45UG delivered from Empiredirect today sometime. This has three scarts(2 RGB), 100Hz, flatscreen and cost £450 with delivery. I'll let you know what I think when(if ?!) it arrives..

Martin

3. martinthorn

martinthorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the 100Hz Thomson 28WF45UG arrived on time and I had it up and running in no time. Got to say I was impressed by the styling of the TV : looked better than in the photos. The auto tuning facility worked quickly and effectively on first switch-on with all channels found and put in the correct order.

Immediately apparent was a worsening of the analogue reception compared to my old Sony 4:3 trinitron. Noise is now noticeable from a distance. Fortunately I am on NTL digital and pictures through the scarts(digital/DVD) look good for a budget TV. Some fiddling with the contrast/colour/brightness was needed to achieve a level of satisfaction as the set seems to have a tendency towards dimness : brightness setting had to be increased from standard. The sound is OK(virtual dolby apparently), but since I have external amp I'm not too bothered !

So to sum up after one night (one film and some TV !)

Picture : fine through scart, poor through RF (could be signal though..). Aspect ratio 'auto' setting a bit buggy, sometimes needs manual selection to force best fit-to-screen. A bit dim on standard settings, especially through scarts.

Looks : pretty !

Sound : not bad for a TV, though I intend to keep it switched off most of the time in favour of my 5.1 Receiver

Other Notable Features : supplied handset can drive VCR, DVD,STB and Hi-Fi and has a backlight (all this surprised me !), came with a heavy stand, actual TV circuit values in the manual, easy on screen menu layout.

Now I just have to find my way into the service menu to satisfy my curiousity !

hope this helps your decision..

Martin