1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What 28" Widescreen?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Tesla, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Tesla

Tesla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I have ordered Sky+ and bought an XBox last month so I need to upgrade my TV from a 14" Alba Portable.

I was really close to buying a Panny TX28PS12C after reading some good reiews and user feedback, however i cannot help but ignore the amount of negative posts on this set too. I have seen several posts complaining of poor geometry and a pale coloured band down the screen.

This has led me to start looking at other sets.
    There is a range of Philips TV's. They are pixel plus and look stunnung. The picture flows so smoothly on them compared to the other TV's in a similar range.

At first i thought this looked stupid but it has grown on me and I think the PQ on them is fantastic.

My TV budget is around £500. I can get the TX28PS12C for £400 so it was well within my budget.

The Philips TV i have been looking at is: "Philips 28PW9308C With Cabinet" - Where is the cheapest you have seen this? I have found it for arounf £550 inc. Delivery.

What do you think of this TV? Any user comments?

Are there amy other 28" Widescreen's you can recommend for around £500?

Many thanks,

\\Chris

2. jigglynuts

jigglynuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think you can go wrong with philips models(as long as it's not the real budget £200 ones)....this toshiba model looks great http://www.prcdirect.co.uk/PRC/PRC.storefront/EN/product/28ZD26P
    but like the panasonic posts i've been reading here, it may have some problems well.

I'll probably go for the philips 6517 next week as it's in my price range and looks good for the price(although i'm still looking for alternatives)(http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/453_129151.html )

Maybe others reading this thread can suggest some other tv's that will be worth looking at within both our price ranges.

3. thecleaner

thecleaner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
  4. Tesla

Tesla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Looks like the Philips i was also considering has some serious issues too.

Dont they make tv's without severe faults anymore?

We have a 4year old 100Hz 28" Philips downstairs which is great. Hence, why I was also considering a philips.

It does have the faint vertical bars on one edge but although noticable when watching footy, they dont bother me at other times.

Also, I have built up loads of stands at work and recently the philips stands seem to be of very poor quality. I did build the stand for the Philips TV i was considering and it isn't very sturdy at all.

\\Chris

5. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    I'll put in an endorsement for the the JVC AV28X37- I had mine delivered on Saturday and it is a cracker- one slight geometry issue on 4.3 (about three mil) but otherwise a cracking picture in a good looking chassis. Mine was £550 from Alders- free delivery with 5 year warranty and tesco clubcard points (!)

6. jigglynuts

jigglynuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks..i'm looking online at the sony and jvc ones now..I've seen the jvc one for £438 inc delivery which is about as much as i'd want to pay....I'll take a good look at both the models for sure...Just a question about the jvc one..does it have that RGB brightness problem that people are complaining about concerning the AV28R25 jvc model? I like the brighter colours the rgb mode gives and it would drive me nuts if it was too dark.

7. Tesla

Tesla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I think i will go for the Panasonic.

What percentage of them would you say had this fault. Would you "risk" it?

As i work for Comet I know that the main depot took a delivery of them yesterday.
    But they have been removed from the website though :confused:

On the other hand, the picture on the Philips 28" 9308 did make my jaw drop. It is fantastic, even with the poor feed we have going into it in out store. I guess pixel plus is the reason for the picture "flowing" much smoother than any other TV i have seen.

It does have a few downsides though:
    Poor quality stand (not too much of a problem but cannot be ignored)
    1 RGB scart (This is ridiculous)
    2 Scarts!

Is there a 28" Philips TV with 3 Scarts (At least 2 RGB) with pixel plus?

\\Chris

8. Tesla

Tesla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Just went on the retailer - www.hispek.com

(Anybody used these guys?)

And put in some details from a TV spec:

I entered: 28inch, 3x scart, 100hz and rgb input

Only TV it coughed up was the Sony KV28FX68.

I will look into that set a bit more.

\\Chris

9. rupbert

rupbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Another vote for the Sony 28fx68, owned one for 4 months now, cracking picture/styling/build quality...

I bought mine here