What 17" TV for my kitchen?

Paul_G

Hi guys,
I am looking for a flatpanel TV which is a mere 17" (Preferably widescreen). Any suggestions? In the world of 60" monsters, I am finding it very difficult to find any reviews on the smaller size screens.

1T-M0nk3y

Standard Member
PC World have a 17" 4:3 screen or a 19" 16:9 (Or maybe 16:10) screen, both by advent, for £130 and £170 respectively, they are, in fact, PC monitors with TV tuners screwed to the back of the monitor using the VESA mounts (and the tuners have VESA mounts themselves, so it can still be wall mounted).

The 17" set had a very good image quality, but the 19" set was off so I couldn't tell you how good the widescreen upscaling is.

I too would be interested in a 17" widescreen set if anyone has any ideas?

Paul_G

I will have a pop down to PC world and have a look, but it would need to look fairly good and come with speakers.

1T-M0nk3y

Standard Member
Personally, I thought that the screen itself looked fine, but I was undecided about the tuner bit, I would have preferred to get a seperate tuner box but these are hard to come by in widescreen format (hence my comment about not knowing what the widescreen upscaling would be like on the 19" set)

You can order external tuners from China/Hong Kong on ebay which upscale to the correct resolution for most 19" widescreen TFTs (1440x900) for about £40 inc delivery and then connect them to any VGA monitor, but I don't know if having a seperate box would be any good in your kitchen.