• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What 1080p screen - viewing distance

badbob

Banned
1.75 - 2 meters. I think the 37" Sharp 1080p screen will be suitable, will the 42" be too big?

DVD-Videos, Mpeg-IV material, PC monitor (not gaming, but will be browsing, email etc)

R

RichardJW

1.75 - 2 meters. I think the 37" Sharp 1080p screen will be suitable, will the 42" be too big?

DVD-Videos, Mpeg-IV material, PC monitor (not gaming, but will be browsing, email etc)

The bigger the better! HD sources can be viewed at much closer distances than SD sources, so in order to appreciate a 1080p source you need at least 46 if not 50 inches at about 3 meters.

Cheers

Richard

badbob

Banned
It may be a HD screen, and will be scaling with FFDSHOW, but be playing back SD.

badbob

Banned
anyone? I used to have a 42" CRT RP and that seemed great for films, but I guess LCD show poorer quality sources. The CRT RP seemed to have more detail than my 32" LG LCD, without the blurring associated with LCD. So 42" was ok, but not sure with LCD.

Giblets2

If you're spending all that money on a 1080p screen you need to make sure that the viewing distance is a compromise between what is suitable for upscaled SD now and what is suitable for 1080i/p in the near future (assuming you're going to eventually make 'proper use' of your new TV!). So I'd err on the big side. 42" will certainly not be too big when you factor that into the equation.

SeeNoWeevil

I have a 40" at about 1.75m and even though HD feeds are superb, viewing distance for SD isn't ideal tbh. 37" would be a good compromise, 42" is too big imo.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom