• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

what 1080p proj - $3000 - $3500 ?

evolution400

Hi guys I am going to the USA next week and plan on buying a 1080p projector I am going to spend about $3000 - $3500 I have been looking at the Mitsi HC6000 the review on here rates this projector very highly. And I currently own a HC3000 and love the projector but feel I am now ready to jump on the 1080p band wagon :) I here the HD80 is also a great projector for similar money ?
I don't suffer from the rainbow effect so I have always had DLP projs but the review of the HC6000 states the black level is comparable now to DLP which is great. Any suggestions for another projector ?
thanks guys.

Osamede

In the US you can get the BenQ W5000 for $2,500, which is less than your budget. I dont think there is anything more expensive up to $3500 (US street price) that will be better.

That said, there is a bigger problem: warranty. Projectors are finnciky items, expensive to fix and for most items bought in the US the warranty is invalid outside. I called Panasonic USA recently to inquire about the coverage on their projectors (was thinking about getting one when I go home for vacation soon) and they told me flat out that your US warranty is NOT valid outside. If the unit breaks, you have to ship it to the USA at your cost, at which point they will fix it.......but then they will only ship back it to a US address. No exceptions.

So IMO the only projector worth buying in the US, is if you get one of the recent 720P units that are going for cheap (like under $1,000), at which point, okay fine maybe you dont care about the warranty. But on a projector for $3,000, I think I'd want a warranty. So I'd be careful there.....

IAN P

Distinguished Member
Have you thought about the problems of bringing this back?

1-you won't get it in the cabin of the aircraft because of size.
2-if you put it in the hold of the aircraft,i guarantee it won't be treated gently.
3-the inevitable customs questions,when you return.

evolution400

Have you thought about the problems of bringing this back?

1-you won't get it in the cabin of the aircraft because of size.
2-if you put it in the hold of the aircraft,i guarantee it won't be treated gently.
3-the inevitable customs questions,when you return.

Thanks for the input guys, sorry I should have mentioned that my parents live in the USA so warranty is not a problem because they are back and forth to the uk every few months if it breaks they can take it back to the usa for me. I have found a HC6000 on USA Ebay for $3099 with next day shipping.

1) I will have to check measurments if the HC6000 is the same size as the
HC3000 then there wont be a problem because my mum already got my current PJ - HC3000 in the cabin.
2) Would never put it in the hold I agree with you.
3) The UK customs are a joke for electrical goods my parents have taken through my HC3000, Zune, Iphone, PC Desktop Case to name but a few.
I would only be bring back the projector and basics so if questioned its for "presentation purposes", but I doubt I would get questioned.
So anyway back to the thread anyone recomend anything ese.
Is the BenQ rated as better than the HC6000 overall?

Osamede

I am about to buy one myself and for the my assessment was that the W5000 was pretty much the best value point in 1080P until you went up to the JVC units at $5-6,000. But that is just my assessment. Yours may be different.

If you have parents in the US then no problem. I think bubble-wrap and back pack should get you on baord with no problem. As you said, customs is not an issue unless you literally wheel the thing wide open in a brand new box through he green zone!

Gilbers

If you are considering the BenQ W5000 then you should check out the UK prices first. Ivojo have it for £1380 which is barely more than the US price, and that includes a 3 year warranty (I believe it only comes with a 2 year warranty in the US)

You should also check that the unit you buy has the latest firmware which addresses some important issues (including 24p compatibility and image noise when using Brilliant Color) By all accounts the firmware cannot be upgraded except by returning the unit to BenQ, so you wouldn't want to get one back from the states only to find it needs to go straight back.

evolution400

Thanks for the input guys your right the saving of more or less £300 on the Benq its not really worth getting in the USA because of the firmware issue.
The mitsubishi is a good saving though for £1500 I can get one of these so when you any more opinions HC6000 or BenQ ? OR another contender ?
thanks guys.

Gilbers

The Mitsubishi can be found for £1880 now, so I'm still not sure if the saving would be worth the hassle, although ymmv of course.

As to which is better, my guess (I have seen neither pj myself) is that it comes down to the usual LCD vs DLP pros and cons.

evolution400

Thanks for the prince update gilbers I ddint know the Mitsi had reduced that much so again I would have to agree prob not worth the hassle in cost so now its just which to buy then the mitsi is more silent and from the reviws is excellent at picture processing I would be using it for all content so SD, HD and gaming on the xbox1 and 360.
Any opinions on which one from anyone who has seen demos ar has one of these ?

Jay T

Hi, I have the HC6000.
I'm not familiar with many of the others in the same price bracket, but you certainly wouldn't be dissapointed.
It's whisper quiet, sharp, black and bright. What more could you want? :thumbsup:

I have just set up my new Panasonic plasma, which appears to be quite highly regarded for PQ, and found myself feeling slightly underwhelmed, as the 1080p picture seems so much more detailed and dynamic on the HC6000.

evolution400

Thanks guys I am tempted to buy the following package though:-
BenQ W50000 with Screen and DVD 5.1 System with speakers from USA Ebay for about £1075 my parents could do with the dvd system and the screen I could prob stick back on there I suppose to sell.
I emailed the seller who is highly rated and confirmed its running the latest firmware.
Sound like good deal ?

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom