What’s your current experiences with Royal Mail?

vu599536

Banned
My friend's dad posted three birthday cards at the beginning of the month without stamps on them. All had their own address on sticker on the back of envelope. Not one card has been delivered or sent back to them.
What are they doing with unstamped mail now? It used to be the case of being charged the cost of postage plus £1 admin fee.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
My friend's dad posted three birthday cards at the beginning of the month without stamps on them. All had their own address on sticker on the back of envelope. Not one card has been delivered or sent back to them.
What are they doing with unstamped mail now? It used to be the case of being charged the cost of postage plus £1 admin fee.

When this has happened to us in the past they usually drop a card through the receiver letterbox inviting them to come to the sorting office to pay the £1 + postage. In the before times this was with a lag of about a week anecdotally from the expected delivery date.

mjn

Distinguished Member
Not the Royal Mail as such, but our local post office is only open 7am - 9am on a Mon / Tues / Thurs / Fri and 7am - 12 noon on a Saturday, Wednesday closed all day.

Which is fine if you haven't got a job to go to :mad:

vu599536

Banned
Friend lives in a road with the first word
When this has happened to us in the past they usually drop a card through the receiver letterbox inviting them to come to the sorting office to pay the £1 + postage. In the before times this was with a lag of about a week anecdotally from the expected delivery date.
Why has no one received the cards or cards sent back to friends' parents?

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Friend lives in a road with the first word

Why has no one received the cards or cards sent back to friends' parents?

I think if stamped mail is currently in big backlogs, unstamped mail is going to be really far behind.

John

they lost a package i sent , but settled up within a few days of my reporting it. so other than inconvenience , no issues
i have received everything i am expecting

NorvernRob

Distinguished Member
The competition is there, they just don't want the public's letters. Whistle tried to do deliveries but they would only deal with business post and deliver to select cities and they certainly weren't daily. After that, all matter of mess started to happen, the regulator really shaft things up.

Yep, this! ANY company can apply for a license to deliver mail anywhere in the country. But they won’t, because a lot of it is loss making. Whistl couldn’t even make it work in the densely populated areas they tried it.

Online shops/Couriers charge more for Highland/Island deliveries because they quite obviously don’t want to lose money- but RM have no choice but to deliver for the same price as everywhere else, as they’re the only company bound by the USO.

RM have felt all the bad bits of privatisation, and pretty much none of the good parts. I’ve said it for a few years now, but the day is coming when RM simply can’t sustain a 6 day a week letter service - at some point letters will drop to 3, maybe 4 days a week, and parcel deliveries increase to 7 days. Most customers would be fine with that, and as I customer so would I - but there would be tens of thousands of job losses.

mjn

Distinguished Member

wormvortex

How is covid not an excuse? when people go sick they can't deliver your post. The other couriers also have some zero hour workers, if one goes sick no problem, just get another one in till they are not needed anymore. Also you can clearly see in some of the amazon adverts on lately that they are sorting into RM containers, think that might give you a hint as to what they do with what is over the top of what they can deal with. RM is a letter company that did a few parcels, no company can be expected to suddenly change over to being a parcel company that deals with a few letters.

Royal Mail have been delivering parcels for literally decades. It's not a new venture, they haven't suddenly had to change.

Bakey

Our post here has been ok until the last few weeks. I was expecting a lot to arrive throughout last week and we had nothing until Friday when it all turned up. The same this week and nothing as of yet. I sent something 48 hour tracked Friday and the company received it on Monday with no problems though. Royal mail are obviously struggling, had no issues with Amazon Logistics, Hermes or other couriers.

vu599536

Banned
On Wednesday, I walked past a post box. Noticed that the post box was overflowing. Doubt that it was actually overflowing as just needs a large A4 envelope to land in the box at an angle that makes all subsequent post posted in to sit on top.

Walked past the post box a couple of hours after collection and still the same items of mail were overflowing. Unsure if the postie that was supposed to emptied it missed it on purpose or accidentally. it was emptied yesterday.

vu599536

Banned
Our post here has been ok until the last few weeks. I was expecting a lot to arrive throughout last week and we had nothing until Friday when it all turned up. The same this week and nothing as of yet. I sent something 48 hour tracked Friday and the company received it on Monday with no problems though. Royal mail are obviously struggling, had no issues with Amazon Logistics, Hermes or other couriers.

Makemebad1978

Yep, this! ANY company can apply for a license to deliver mail anywhere in the country. But they won’t, because a lot of it is loss making. Whistl couldn’t even make it work in the densely populated areas they tried it.

Online shops/Couriers charge more for Highland/Island deliveries because they quite obviously don’t want to lose money- but RM have no choice but to deliver for the same price as everywhere else, as they’re the only company bound by the USO.

RM have felt all the bad bits of privatisation, and pretty much none of the good parts. I’ve said it for a few years now, but the day is coming when RM simply can’t sustain a 6 day a week letter service - at some point letters will drop to 3, maybe 4 days a week, and parcel deliveries increase to 7 days. Most customers would be fine with that, and as I customer so would I - but there would be tens of thousands of job losses.
I feel that will be closer than anyone thinks

Zaichik

The service we're getting is similar to the experience of other posters: days without post, then a load at once, and stuff taking ages to arrive or not arriving at all. When we got home from a week's holiday last Friday, there was just 1 item of post on the mat, and we haven't had any post all this week, despite the fact that I know things have been sent to us.

ssbib

Distinguished Member
I’ve got all my things now apart from a Blu Ray I ordered on the 13th. Had one from the same seller arrive though so I think that is lost. He is willing to replace if it hasn’t arrived by Monday.

i don’t understand why they are still so far behind? If they have been getting a record amount of mail and parcels surely that means a record amount of money coming in to them that they could use to hire more staff?

brunation

If they have been getting a record amount of mail and parcels surely that means a record amount of money coming in to them that they could use to hire more staff?
Royal Mail has announced a cost-cutting plan that will involve slashing about 2,000 jobs in a move accelerated by the Covid-19 crisis.

One in five of its near-10,000 management roles will go by March 2021, in areas including IT, finance, marketing and sales. The company’s 90,000 postal workers would not be affected by the cuts, Royal Mail said.

It's easier for the UK Govt. to reduce the USO than impose it on Hermes etc .... OR Hermes etc might suddenly find their freelancers get declared as workers and their costs will rise.

Tempest

Distinguished Member
Something weird happened yesterday.

Royal mail man came to the door, and looked like he was attempting to deliver a smallish parcel.
He rang the door bell but sadly I was not home and i was away from my mobile so I didn't know he'd been till a little later when viewing video footage.

The odd thing is. He looked like he was going to deliver a parcel as I said.
He rang the bell, waited, got no reply.
Wrote out a ticket, which I presume was an 'attempted delivery' form, and left, taking the parcel and the ticket with him.

Seems odd.
And I can't think of anything I'm expecting, so I'm puzzled.

I left a note by the door today, in case he may attempt another delivery, but whilst the same postman did come up today, he brought me no post....
Weird.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Something weird happened yesterday.

Royal mail man came to the door, and looked like he was attempting to deliver a smallish parcel.
He rang the door bell but sadly I was not home and i was away from my mobile so I didn't know he'd been till a little later when viewing video footage.

The odd thing is. He looked like he was going to deliver a parcel as I said.
He rang the bell, waited, got no reply.
Wrote out a ticket, which I presume was an 'attempted delivery' form, and left, taking the parcel and the ticket with him.

Seems odd.
And I can't think of anything I'm expecting, so I'm puzzled.

I left a note by the door today, in case he may attempt another delivery, but whilst the same postman did come up today, he brought me no post....
Weird.

Maybe it was for a neighbour - you weren't in either so he wrote a note and put it through their letterbox?

Skull n Bones

Order placed on Ebay yesterday with expected delivery of Monday or Tuesday, arrived this morning, can't complain with that.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom