What’s your current experiences with Royal Mail?

aVdub

Distinguished Member
You people do realise that Royal Mail have also had to change the way they work due to Covid? They too have had to deal with social distancing in the work place, self isolation, shielding, increase in sick leave etc, not to mention Joe public, sitting at home with nothing better to do than order needless 'tat' online. Get a grip and stop pining for your next £1 bargain buy from Wish in China.

Are you a postman for RM

Gaslight

During covid all the shops have been shut and when they have reopened, most are still scared to go out. Online shopping has risen a MASSIVE amount, the sheer volume of parcels they will need to deliver has sky rocketed drastically. Lets also remember that post men and women are not immune to the covid virus, so their staff numbers will also be a lot lower. Then we also have to take into consideration the 2 meter distancing, which im sure will have made the process in sorting offices a hell of a lot slower.

Add all that together and i think royal mail workers have done a fabulous job during this difficult time, my postie will definitely be getting a nice xmas tip this year, even if i have gone a few days without post.

No ones complaining about the Post men and woman, they are complaining about Royal Mail, who are diabolical at the moment (and have an almost crimnal compensation system for businesses)

Social distancing does not stop signed for mail dissapearing or taking over 5 weeks to be delivered.

reiteration

i haven't read this thread yet, but today we received a letter from I suspect is a relief postman (my lady saw him as she went out) and when she came back i helped her with our shopping, and a jiffy bag has been left on a neighbours door step, so I knocked on their door and the elderly gent answered and i explained the craic...

he was ever so grateful as it must have been there 1/2 day..! could have easily been nicked and where would he have been? of course I'm only guessing it's royal mail as we normally have a woman as she knocks on the door until someone answers as do the courier drivers...and wasn't even anything left in his letterbox either..

FoxForceFive

I've had four (small value) parcels go missing, their replacements sent, two of which I received.

I then received three of the four missing parcels, all sent at the end of may/start of June, along with 7 other letters & parcels sent before the end of July, at once.

My postman said, & I quote "I'm so sorry mate, the sorting offices are a joke at the moment".

FWIW all were sent second class bar one. First class seem to be more reliable, but delayed nonetheless.

tony @ suffolk

Seems many folk have had letters and parcels going missing, rather than actually delayed. If we knew these would eventually turn up it wouldn't be so bad, but you have to wonder where the devil could have they have ended up?

reiteration

Seems many folk have had letters and parcels going missing, rather than actually delayed. If we knew these would eventually turn up it wouldn't be so bad, but you have to wonder where the devil could have they have ended up?

I don;'t buy any newspapers now, but I recall reading articles about 'lazy' postmen just hoarding letters etc and police finding sackfuls of stuff at their houses..!! wonder if that still goes on now?

Gaslight

They've taken on lots of temporary staff as they do at Christmas..at which time, parcels also start to go missing...but this is worse than Christmas looking over my records.Worse than any Christmas for the past ten years.

coatsy79

Standard Member
Yeah I know, it's almost as if they're dealing with 3 times the mail with half the staff

Busier than Christmas for 5 months now, day in day out everyone's knackered with no end in sight, have a little compassion

aVdub

Distinguished Member
Yeah I know, it's almost as if they're dealing with 3 times the mail with half the staff

Busier than Christmas for 5 months now, day in day out everyone's knackered with no end in sight, have a little compassion

Although I have had no real issues lately with RM you have to see it from the public point of view that everyone has been affected by the virus and apart from a couple of issues myself from Amazon, every other courier/delivery service seems to have met the demand by employing more staff and meeting the demand.
How many RM staff will be delivering parcels and mail tonight at 10pm, like others do!

Foster

Distinguished Member
Although I have had no real issues lately with RM you have to see it from the public point of view that everyone has been affected by the virus and apart from a couple of issues myself from Amazon, every other courier/delivery service seems to have met the demand by employing more staff and meeting the demand.
How many RM staff will be delivering parcels and mail tonight at 10pm, like others do!

Exactly this, for the first few months fair enough, but they need to start getting their service levels back, as people are paying for a service they aren't receiving.

vu599536

Banned
Ordered a few items from eBay and been fine. It’s when I post things myself, it takes an age.

My mum even resorted to hand posting a couple of birthday cards to people who live a few miles away. As had a friend that took 13 days to get her card who lives 3 miles away Can’t do this for anyone living outside Leicester lockdown

Gaslight

If they had a legitimate compensation process, then I may be. But they don't.

So far, Royal Mail have cost me around 1.5k. Do they have compassion for me? doubtful.

They still take the money for the service, therefore like many other business's have had to, step up to the demand, or decline the work.

I am enjoying these two newbies first posts being 'praise the mail' scenarios...funny that.

Makemebad1978

Yes through my door, I’ve said that. I am receiving less than half the mail that I used to get before lockdown. Some days we don’t get any deliveries (like today) but then when I do get mail it does feel like a catch up of what has been missed, just a couple of items.

I admit that most of the mail I get is junk mail, so what I am seeing is a massive reduction in the amount of junk mail that I am receiving.

Non-junk mail seems to get through for the most part so I’m wondering what is happening with all the junk mail I normally get. Is it simply not being sent any more or is Royal Mail filtering it out and not delivering it?

Cheers,

Nigel
Those companies that send out the junk mail advertising are most likely closed for the time being, no point in advertising if your not open.

Makemebad1978

There may be some method behind it. I've noticed that we haven't had a delivery on a Wednesday or Saturday for a few weeks now.

It's particularly galling as our coffee is posted 1st class on Tuesday and we never get it until Thursday. First world problems.
Wednesday is probably your posties day off and nobody to cover it at the moment, Saturday while should be back to normal now for a while was parcels only

Makemebad1978

So far, Royal Mail have cost me around 1.5k. Do they have compassion for me? doubtful.

They still take the money for the service, therefore like many other business's have had to, step up to the demand, or decline the work.

I am enjoying these two newbies first posts being 'praise the mail' scenarios...funny that.
And what exactly would you do if it was declined? use another company? pretty sure most of them are passing their overflow to RM already. Its as if maybe something was happening to prevent normal service, not sure, maybe a pandemic.......

Gaslight

And what exactly would you do if it was declined? use another company? pretty sure most of them are passing their overflow to RM already. Its as if maybe something was happening to prevent normal service, not sure, maybe a pandemic.......

Another alternative would be to publically state that there are delays of up to four weeks. This would then allow customers to be aware of the issues in the network, and the likes of eBay can update their site accordingly. But they wont do that will they? or they havent done....Shareholders...

And have a much more transparent compensation scheme for businesses.

Simple, truthful things..so easy when you think about it?

Interestingly, the service was better during the main period of the pandemic.

nheather

Distinguished Member
For all those that have just come on defending RM - you probably haven’t read the whole thread, it’s quite long now - so maybe you can explain just these two experiences.

1. Small package, posted first class in Sunderland on Weds 8th July to Horsham, West Sussex - not arrived yet
  2. Two cards posted together, first class at Horsham sorting office to the same destination. One arrived the next day the other took six days
Get get that there are delays, no one has denied that the pandemic must be having an impact but the defenders keep coming back with that like a broken record without explaining actual experiences.

Why are the delays so erratic. Why is some mail go through at normal speed while others get excessively delayed. Take the two birthday cards I sent, what caused RM to decide that one should be dealt with immediately but the other should be put to one side for days.

And why is there a lot more than usual going missing.

The RM website contains this list of mitigations

Nowhere does it say that normal mail will be delayed - it should - they should state that 1st Class mail mail take 14 days (for example) and 2nd Class even longer if that is what is happening. Answering my own question, I suspect it is all to do with money - they don’t want to advertise that the service is as disrupted as it really is because people might stop using it. One thing is clear, that despite all the challenges of the pandemic, RM’s ability to take payment promptly has been unaffected.

Cheers,

Nigel

Skull n Bones

Fully compensated inside 2 weeks, prob 10 days since I made the online claim. Nothing but praise from me.

Get get that there are delays, no one has denied that the pandemic must be having an impact but the defenders keep coming back with that like a broken record without explaining actual experiences.
Nigel

Give them some credit for working throughout this pandemic. Just like carers and such, having to physically call at God knows how many houses each day, not knowing the situations inside, must take it's toll.

Was rough for first 2 months in Northern Ireland, but seems business as usual now. Daily post and consistent times in the morning, always chatty and getting on with it. I give them a lot of credit but realise not everyone is as lucky. Again, first time losing a parcel, but compensated a lot quicker than expected, can't fault them.

Ps. I don't work for Royal Mail nor class myself a newbie 👍

nheather

Distinguished Member
Fully compensated inside 2 weeks, prob 10 days since I made the online claim. Nothing but praise from me.

Give them some credit for working throughout this pandemic. Just like carers and such, having to physically call at God knows how many houses each day, not knowing the situations inside, must take it's toll.

Was rough for first 2 months in Northern Ireland, but seems business as usual now. Daily post and consistent times in the morning, always chatty and getting on with it. I give them a lot of credit but realise not everyone is as lucky. Again, first time losing a parcel, but compensated a lot quicker than expected, can't fault them.

I keep asking specific questions and defenders just keep ignoring them and saying there is pandemic.

As I said, I get the delays, just not the irregularity, nor the losses. No one has come up with a reasonable explanation yet.

Cheers,

Nigel

Gaslight

You're a business are you? So you only recieved the factory price for the item, minus anything you paid in shipping, vat, import costs, payent transaction fees, etc etc and had to supple a plethora of invoices from the manufacturer to 'prove' your claim, thus then taking a substantial hit on the entire transaction that they 'lost'? How did you feel about that when you put your claim in?

As mentioned previous, I dont see many of them working till 10pm like other services?

As I said, 1.5k loss...not acceptable. Quick enough to take the money and not declare there are any issues in the network. Be transparent, and you will often earn a much bigger lever of understanding from people.

No one is 'knocking' the staff persay (aside from the temps they are taking on without the same level of background checks they would normally do, hence what I feel has contributed to so much lost mail) , they are 'knocking' the company for the way they have (poorly) handled the situation and refuse to be open about it.

Kasgrant

Novice Member
I was going to make a claim with royal mail yesterday about a parcel that arrived damaged with a buyer
However when I saw the requirements to make a claim and the hoops you had to jump through I decided it wasn't worth the effort or time. Royal Mail have made it deliberately extremely difficult to claim compensation with a process that should be easy if you have paid for tracked delivery. Really disappointed.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
We've had a number of post deliveries arrive just fine via first class post - to add some data points to the two or three.

nheather

Distinguished Member
I was going to make a claim with royal mail yesterday about a parcel that arrived damaged with a buyer
However when I saw the requirements to make a claim and the hoops you had to jump through I decided it wasn't worth the effort or time. Royal Mail have made it deliberately extremely difficult to claim compensation with a process that should be easy if you have paid for tracked delivery. Really disappointed.

The problem with my delayed/missing parcel is that it has been sent to me so I can’t do anything about it with RM. More importantly, it has no real value to speak off but it has intrinsic value to me. So even if a claim was done it wouldn’t help me at all.

It’s first class, it was sent 1st class, 10 postal days (excl. Sundays) ago. I’m still hoping it is just massively delayed but witch each passing day my hope fades a little.

Cheers,

Nigel

NorvernRob

Distinguished Member

Without being too political, RM’s service has become worse and more erratic overall for years due to privatisation. It’s hands are tied, having to deliver to every house in the country and competitors mail for prices set by the regulator OFCOM, while couriers cream off the profitable parcels business in a race to the bottom for ever cheaper prices whilst using casual and self-employed staff.

This has lead to wholesale cuts in staffing levels (100,000 less RM employees now than when I started in 1997, 2 million more addresses and parcels increase of 100’s of percent) and the whole model is run on a knife edge, hence it doesn’t take much for the service in a particular area (or multiple areas at once) to go pear shaped.

In short, RM can’t afford to, and won’t, employ any kind of significant amount of extra Posties. And remember the Amazon couriers etc you see at 10pm didn't start work at 5am!

I didn’t actually realise how stressful the job had become until I left. If I was there now with the current situation I’d hate it.

Toon Army

I occasionally sell items on eBay and don't bother with Royal Mail as I use myHermes instead. A very reliable and cheaper service with tracking, insurance etc. I can drop off parcels at various local shops up to 10pm, seven days/week. I have even sent some diving equipment to a buyer in Mexico on one occasion and I was able to track its progress right up to and including delivery.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Black Friday 2021: What you need to know
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray Special - The Cinema of Zhang Yimou & Gong Li
  • By Mark Costello
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 24th November 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Panasonic 2021 TV update brings full 4K resolution with VRR and HFR