What’s the RRP of your system ??

chris english

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone ,

Just been talking hifi with a colleague , got on to how much I’d spent etc ..... so I added up the RRP just to give him an idea and I was abit surprised to say the least !!

So was just curious to know what your systems in they’re current guise would of cost if you had paid the full Recommended retail price ? Mine would have been £5.155.00 :eek:

It's not only the equipment.
Back in the late 80s and early 90s I remember paying about £13 for import albums on vinlyl and CD.
I must've spent thousands.
Whereas the youth today just clickety click and BOOM, 100s of songs instantly on the phone!

Quite ironic actually.
There used to be little symbols on my records saying
"Home taping is killing music"
Trying to discourage your taping the album onto cassette tape for your buddies.
Little did they know the future of downloading music.

It's a good question for insurance purposes. I have five systems in my house, in different rooms, mostly new tech comes into the main room and old tech gets bumped to the other rooms. Add on all the media and it is quite a few thousand.

Nope.

Nope nope nope.

Adding everything up seems like an excellent way to receive a reality check that I just don't want.

Without TVs, £4.5k - £5k to replace with new approx. Like @Rambles I have 4 systems in different rooms - Cinema Room, Living Room, Kitchen, Office.

Including the TV, about 22k :eek:

All my AV stuff but not including the TV or cables comes out at 12k. Add the cables, TV, cabinet, bespoke bridge for the centre speaker, throw in the films and CDs and SACDs and it's a case of I hope the wife never asks that question.

My processor and projector alone would come in at between 15 and 20 thousand when some poor sod bought it new. I paid about 2k and would be lucky to get 500 for the pair now. This is why I live in the past when it comes to av gear!

Jesus wept .................... I've just totted up the main components of the primary hi-fi/av system and stopped just north of 40 grand ; I absolutely dread to think of what has been shelled out to get to this stage over the past four and a bit decades . This evening I'll be checking the extent of my insurance cover and suggest others do likewise so thanks to Chris for starting the thread !

Stu.

In the past, I spent £50,000 on just one vital audio accessory (a detached house), so that I can always turn the volume up to 11 without fear of upsetting the neighbours.

My main sitting room setup runs at about 800 pounds including stands (not included is tv)

I've a second system that's about 600 and then I've accumulated 2 other setups that run at about 400 each. This gets me to less than 2 grand for 4 setups, chicken feed in comparison to most of the gang on here :)

My main sitting room setup runs at about 800 pounds including stands (not included is tv)

I've a second system that's about 600 and then I've accumulated 2 other setups that run at about 400 each. This gets me to less than 2 grand for 4 setups, chicken feed in comparison to most of the gang on here :)

It doesn’t matter what it cost as long as you enjoy it .
I didn’t pay full price for anything in my system , I haggled well and part exchanged most of the components , which embarrasses the Mrs :rotfl:

It doesn’t matter what it cost as long as you enjoy it .
I didn’t pay full price for anything in my system , I haggled well and part exchanged most of the components , which embarrasses the Mrs :rotfl:
Cool, that's the to do it. I'm quoting full rrp prices too. Few bits we're open box and I'd say there's a refurbished item there somewhere

Just looked at all the black boxes and sobbed :(

saying that most things i picked up were open box, s/h and i am less than half rrp.

approx 16k :eek:

Source>amps>speakers, just two channel stereo - around £40K.

It’s all relative - it’s less than a colleague lost in depreciation in 3 years with a 7 series BMW...

Main listen system - Chromecast audio > dac > active speakers. RRP around £2k but only paid £400 second hand and probably worth more if I were to sell them on.

There is a very valid point for this question and that is Insurance. If you are unfortunate enough to have a fire or burglary. You do need to ensure your insurance covers you. A lot of cheaper policies have individual limits and have moved anything that might be stolen into the 'valuables' category. It took me ages to find a policy that would cover me if the worst happened. The downside is pricing new for old loved kit as you will get drawn into giving prices that mean your annual premium gets significant...

This is very intersting thread indeed..
If it's just HiFi be about 500 quid as that's in the kitchen but,.... all av home cinema..o_O tbh I could do with that sort of money now..
Front room have home cinema old cost me alot , back room smaller system not so much ...then my den too be looking around 24k in total..

There is a very valid point for this question and that is Insurance. If you are unfortunate enough to have a fire or burglary. You do need to ensure your insurance covers you. A lot of cheaper policies have individual limits and have moved anything that might be stolen into the 'valuables' category. It took me ages to find a policy that would cover me if the worst happened. The downside is pricing new for old loved kit as you will get drawn into giving prices that mean your annual premium gets significant...

Very true and good to mention that as so many insurance try to find some loophole..
I had a hard time finding insurance too for what is an actual outbuilding across from my patio.. some ins were only willing to pay out max 4k.. with my kit in there, original movie posters some signed, arcade machine and big collection of unopened Transformers toys (Which just go up in value).. a pay out of 4k would barely put a dent the loss..
So to me it's worth paying a bit extra for piece of mind...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom