What’s the best 85” for me..?

Coghill89

Standard Member
Hi folks, I’m looking for some advice on what TV to choose. Budget approx £3000. I have read lots of different forums and still am a little confused. I know some US models and UK models differ which doesn’t help me either as I don’t know which country the TV is being reviewed from.
Ideally I am after an 85” but may go slightly smaller. I will mainly use it for watching Sky Q (sports, movies, documentaries), 4K and HD movies and do very minimal gaming. I was set on the Samsung Q80t but I have read quite a few bad reviews regarding the colour, wide angles and people having to get their screens replaced.
I am no expert whatsoever so any help I would be very grateful.

Dodgexander

I believe the Sony XH9505 to be better value than Samsung models like the Q80T.
You can see all best buys in my guide here: **New** My best value TVs, 2020-2021 Edition

What kind of angle do you need to view the TV? Typically higher end LCD TVs have narrow viewing angles, and whilst TVs like the Sony XH9505 and Samsung Q95T have wider viewing angle filters, the viewing angles are not fantastic compared to an OLED.

The Samsung Q80T lacks this filter in Europe, but the North American Q80T includes it.

Not sure what you mean about people getting their screens replaced, you pretty much hear some bad things about every TV on here. Its because this is where people come when they have a problem, doesn't necessarily mean you will!

Stu75

I hate Samsung.I thought I was unlucky with my first 59" plasma,I wasn't.
My current PS64E8000 is another pile of crap so I would never recommend that brand.

Coghill89

Standard Member
I believe the Sony XH9505 to be better value than Samsung models like the Q80T.
You can see all best buys in my guide here: New My best value TVs, 2020-2021 Edition

What kind of angle do you need to view the TV? Typically higher end LCD TVs have narrow viewing angles, and whilst TVs like the Sony XH9505 and Samsung Q95T have wider viewing angle filters, the viewing angles are not fantastic compared to an OLED.

The Samsung Q80T lacks this filter in Europe, but the North American Q80T includes it.

Not sure what you mean about people getting their screens replaced, you pretty much hear some bad things about every TV on here. Its because this is where people come when they have a problem, doesn't necessarily mean you will!
Thanks for the reply, I was hoping you would! That's a very informative guide you wrote. I will be viewing the TV that I buy looking straight on.
The Sony XH9505 seems to be getting good reviews. Can you tell me if there are any better models at a slightly smaller size or should I stick to the Sony at 85"? Also would you recommend a sound bar?

Dodgexander

Thanks!

At 77" most people would agree the OLEDs that better the XH9505 overall for picture quality, but as LCD TVs go its about the best you can get in 2020 ranges. OLEDs are also a lot more expensive at larger sizes versus LCD's, so not really sure its worth the extra.

There are of course new 2021 TVs coming out soon, some may even be out already, but these tend to cost a lot more on release, and usually aren't worth waiting for unless you can wait until Black Friday or later. If you don't need to buy right now, you could opt to wait for those models to be released and come down in price.
Soundbars I really don't know much about, any should work. There's a section of the forum here for them:

re66ell

I’m UK based. Had similar ?s to you a few weeks back as needed to replace my Samsung 75” tv.

After trying a few sets from Costco including a 85” Samsung q80, 85” Sony 8096 and a 77” sony ag9 oled. Finally settled down with a Sony KD85XH9505BU 85” tv as wanted a 85” screen. imho the picture quality on this set is very good and not far of the Sony 77” oled for day to day viewing of sky q.

From my experience, Probably best to see a few sets showing Sky content and not the 4K demos manufacturers have before making a decision on what you fancy.

Also, the new 2021 models are coming soon but was advised price point would be much higher than 3k.

Coghill89

Standard Member
I’m UK based. Had similar ?s to you a few weeks back as needed to replace my Samsung 75” tv.

After trying a few sets from Costco including a 85” Samsung q80, 85” Sony 8096 and a 77” sony ag9 oled. Finally settled down with a Sony KD85XH9505BU 85” tv as wanted a 85” screen. imho the picture quality on this set is very good and not far of the Sony 77” oled for day to day viewing of sky q.

From my experience, Probably best to see a few sets showing Sky content and not the 4K demos manufacturers have before making a decision on what you fancy.

Also, the new 2021 models are coming soon but was advised price point would be much higher than 3k.
Thanks for the reply mate. It’s looking like the Sony XH9505 could be the one for me. Don’t think I’m going to wait for the new models to be released because they will be well over my budget I’d imagine. How do you find the picture quality watching blue rays?

Coghill89

Standard Member

Thanks for the advice bud.

Coghill89

Standard Member
I just purchased the 85” XH9505. I can’t wait now! There are some serious good deals on this week. You gotta be quick.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom