Question What’s happening to my speaker?

georgescookie

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello all

Today I noticed something around the tweeter on my speaker and would appreciate some advice.
They are Dali Rubicon 2, the right one is fine but the left one has some kind of white wear on the left hand side on its tweeter, please see picture and ignore the dust.
I’ve had them for almost 3 years from new and no one has put their fingers in them. Anyone know what it might be? Is it old age?
Thanks George

Attachments

• AF318272-B779-4A26-8B59-8DBC62C3E634.jpeg
    AF318272-B779-4A26-8B59-8DBC62C3E634.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Hmmmm.

It's hard to tell from the picture to be honest.
If I was you, I would buy a tin of compressed air with the long nozzle attachment and blow out any loose debris.
Obviously not close to the tweeter at all but close enough to have an effect.
That will give you a better idea as to what is potential damage and what is just magnetised/stuck particles.

You could also try running a measurement of your speakers using Room EQ Wizard to see if there is any actual impact on frequency response.
It will stick out like a sore thumb if it's damaged.

Hope you come to a good resolution! :smashin:

I would try to CAREFULLY touching that white material. Is it wet, gooey, dry, hard, soft, other?

Did you buy the speaker new or used?

How long ago did you buy the speakers? Does it still have warranty?

Steve/bluewizard

Did you buy the speaker new or used?

How long ago did you buy the speakers? Does it still have warranty?

Steve/bluewizard

Good idea to at least read the OPs post

I’ve had them for almost 3 years from new and no one has put their fingers in them.

I would contact Dali directly and ask them. IME they are excellent at after sales service even out of warranty.

Difficult to tell off the photograph. It does look, to my eyes, that there is some type of corrosion on the tweeter dome which has migrated to the seal area. Possibly through a poor finish. I do stress that this is what it looks like on the photo and may indeed not be the case.

You could try cleaning around the dome but I would not use a compressed air can but a good old fashioned photographic lens puffer. Gentle and safe.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/cleaning-cameras-Puffer-suitable-photography/dp/B00NV0KOI4

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Good idea to at least read the OPs post...

He said - "...some kind of white wear..." but, though a low quality photo, it looks to me like some type of White Goo.

As to how long he has had the speakers, they could still be under warranty. Probably not after 3 years, but they could potentially be.

But none the less, you are right, contacting Dali would be the thing to do. If this is a know problem with the tweeters, they might still replace it for free.

Steve/bluewizard

Hi everyone
Thanks you all for your comments, I had a good look at it this weekend and wasn’t brave enough to try blasting the tweeter with air so I grabbed a cotton bud and put a little water on it. I then used it to slowly rub the affected area and it has almost disappeared so it was some kind of white residue..strange and how the hell it get there! Anyway I love these speakers so I’m very relieved they are ok. Thanks again for the comments

If you want to use a better cleaning substance than water, which is not ideal, they try good old surgical spirit. It's high evaporation level makes it much safer to use than water. There is also a more expensive option in Eclipse Fluid, this is what I use to clean the CCD surface in my Nikon cameras and is 100% safe with anything that carries any hint of an electrical current and is non corrosive. It's also brilliant for cleaning binding posts and HMDI or RCA connections.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Camera-Cleaners/Photographic-Solutions-Eclipse-Cleaning-Fluid/B004WBR8C6

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom