1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What´s the best chip for new media server?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by o27, Aug 9, 2005.

1. o27

o27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    HI.

I´m about to take my first step into Xbox terriotory :thumbsup: My main plan is to use it as a media server hooked up to my computer.

So is there any real difference between the various cheap and expensive modchips out there?
    My first thougt was to get the Xecuter 3 chip, but a friend of mine says it doesent really matter what chip i go with?

All i need is 720p, 1080i progressive scan capabilities for my game/video output as the Xbox will be hooked up to my new Samsung LE-32R51B :D

So any advices from you guys?

2. Geordie Bry

Geordie Bry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    i might be wrong but i think you will only get 480p on video

3. o27

o27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    hmm that sounds really bad.

4. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +410
    Using XBMC you will get all HD resolutions up to 1080i and any games that support those resolutions will also display properly (MTX is 1080i, SCII is 720p etc..). You only need to enable the NTSC eeprom and attach the HD component cable. Borrow the forums softmod kit and try that before investing in a modchip. Softmodding enables everything a chip does for what you need.

5. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    I had a SmartXX chip fitted to my Media Centre XBox. Largely because that's what the local installer was using.

Seems to me that there isn't a whole lot of difference in end results between the chips, they all do the same thing (ie allow you to add a non-MS BIOS which in turn generally allows you to run unsigned binaries).

However, the various mods do have nice touches for people more into tinkering such as built in HTTP and FTP servers for initial BIOS installation, ability to store multiple BIOSes, ability to disable modchip from various button combinations at boot time, support for LCD panel etc. The SmartXX came with a nice extra of a builtin (legal) LINUX boot bios as well as a LINUX boot CD and a USB adaptor for a controller port.

Given that MS have got a lot smarter about booting people from XBox Live (ie changed hard drives) and the fact that you want to run it as a media centre, I'd just go for the cheapest mod.

Gav

6. o27

o27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    ok the cheapest i can get atm. is Akira2 so that´s the one im putting in.