What’s your Favourite of the latest new shows ?

King Tones

Outstanding Member
Solutions
Reaction score
So with lots of new shows airing in US and UK this year and last year, what are your favourites out of them ?

What has been a disappointment and what has stood out of the new batch of shows ?

I normally save new shows up and watch them all in one go so it's easier to get into them but I have decided to give quite a few ago and I am glad I did as some recent new shows have been very good.

The standout out of all them for me has to be Banshee !!
From the first episode I was hooked, its brutal, violent and full of sex.
Some great characters throughout the first series and some of them we have only seen little bits of them so looking forward to seeing how they develop in the 2nd series.

Another one that I have enjoyed of the new Comedies has been Legit on FX, quite offensive and rude so I love it. Never been a huge fan of Jim Jefferies but have enjoyed some of his stand up. But really liking this show. Some episodes have had me crying with laughter. The Web chat being one of them. Great new Comedy that I hope gets renewed.

Another Comedy show has been Go On with Mathew Perry, a lot better than Mr Sunshine or whatever it was called and have enjoyed all episodes so far and hope it gets renewed.

Biggest disappointment so far has been The Following, Yeah I will keep watching it but after a few episodes you realise it's not that clever or intelligent writing and it's pretty much 24 but with Serial Killers.
I was expecting something a bit more serious like Homeland or The Killing.

So what new shows have you been watching and recommend as a must watch and what has been a disappointment ?

Last edited:
My recent favourite is Utopia (channel 4).

I thought the trailers were rubbish and pretty much decided not to watch, then thought i'd give it a go...

MB

Cheers for the tips, Tones. Will give Banshee a look.

For US comedies (being aired here only this year) I'm loving Louie CK on Fox. I think he's a marmite type of comedian though.
Loved Utopia and got bored v quickly with The Following (shame, could've been great).

I'm well behind you lot though, I've only just started watching Breaking Bad!! (which btw I think is awesome!)

Thanks for the Banshee tip just reading the thread now, more sex and violence than Spartacus? Go on then :)

Banshee & Utopia are highlights so far for me though technically not new I've just got into Breaking Bad which I can't believe I missed.

Revolution, Last Resort & The Following have all disappointed in different ways for me. Uk wise I thought Ripper Street failed to live up to its potential but I did get into it and overall enjoyed the show along with Hunted.

Cheers for the tips, Tones. Will give Banshee a look.

For US comedies (being aired here only this year) I'm loving Louie CK on Fox. I think he's a marmite type of comedian though.
Loved Utopia and got bored v quickly with The Following (shame, could've been great).

I'm well behind you lot though, I've only just started watching Breaking Bad!! (which btw I think is awesome!)

Louie is excellent imo, not your normal sort of comedy. Love some of his stand up.

Enjoy Breaking Bad :smashin:

Thanks for the Banshee tip just reading the thread now, more sex and violence than Spartacus? Go on then :)

I dont think its more violent than Spartacus but being cable its up there :thumbsup:

Banshee & Utopia are highlights so far for me though technically not new I've just got into Breaking Bad which I can't believe I missed.

Revolution, Last Resort & The Following have all disappointed in different ways for me. Uk wise I thought Ripper Street failed to live up to its potential but I did get into it and overall enjoyed the show along with Hunted.

Ah your in for a treat with Breaking Bad, I enjoyed Last Resort but would of liked a few more episodes so it was not rushed at the end.
Not seen Revolution, did interest me but looked like it would get canned pretty quickly. I got Ripper Street to watch, hoping its as good as Copper but am guessing from the thread its not as good. Still worth a watch it looks like.

I'm looking forward to a few new shows coming, Bates Motels & Hannibal

- Utopia
- The Americans
- Banshee
- Dancing on the Edge
- Bates Motel (need to see more episodes though)
- In The Flesh (need to see more episodes though)

Louie is excellent imo, not your normal sort of comedy. Love some of his stand up.

Yeah that's how I first discovered him, seeing his stand-up shows on YT, he's hilarious. Very funny face/expressions :D

Tip for the uninitiated: go search on YT for 'Louie CK stand-up' (Chewed up, shameless, + more, it's all good!)

- Utopia
- The Americans
- Banshee
- Dancing on the Edge

Have been keeping an eye on The Americans, glad to hear its getting good reviews. Think I will give it a go.

Not heard of In The Flesh so will check that out, cheers Rai :)

Will need to check out Banshee - hearing a lot of good things about it (especially the sex part)! Any idea whether/when they will show it here in the UK? I am another one of those people who are missing out in the good things of life as I haven't seen any episode of Breaking Bad yet! Will get round to it soon.

Loved Ripper Street - thought it was awesome. Utopia was good. Still enjoying The Following though it is wearing a bit thin.

Person of Interest was a big disappointment - thought it might be really good but I found it quite boring.

The Americans is really good. I have only seen 3 eps but it ***** on pretty much everything else shown this season. Banshee is fun but I have only seen a couple of eps. Gonna have to check out these:

- Dancing on the Edge

When I saw Jim Jeffries mentioned I was sold on Legit. The man is brilliant!

Bunheads

Can i count The Newsroom in this, it started last year but i am looking forward to series 2 later this year.

But so far nothing else has really stood out for me, The Following has been generally disappointing along with 666 Park Avenue.

+1 on Newsroom - really enjoyed it last year and certainly looking forward to S2 (can't believe it nearly didnt happen!)

Oh, i cant believe i forgot Arrow. I have generally enjoyed it although it seems to have lightened in tone, a little.

Must checkout Banshee - lot of people talking about it :)

Arrow has been my favourite so far and I was worried about The Following but it does seem to be getting better.

Have given up on Vegas, watched about 5 episodes and it never got me hooked (and I hear it's been cancelled).

Watched the first episode of Banshee and quite impressed, hardcore violence and sex thrown in, quirky characters too.

Really liking Golden Boy, each episode adds to the back story and standalone stories have been solid so far.

The Americans has also impressed with its 80s setting and cold war stories.

The Following a massive disappointment but for reasons unknown i haven't binned it yet.

Bates Motel not seen.

Hannibal, expectations high for this.

Arrow, Elementary & Chicago Fire all have me hooked.

Arrow

Vikings

Bluestone42 - in the serious bits you can see they have been through training.
And when they aren't you go "Squaddies!".

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom