What’s You Fastest Start Up

Garrett

Reaction score
How fast is you start up?
I got a Western Digital JB drive last week and despite, putting loads of stuff on it and having tons of stuff on the desktop. It loads up the fastest I think I have ever had one, which is between 20 and 25 second from switching on.

What OS's we talking about here?

Before I dumped stuff on my old PC I had the start up timed at 9 secs, from power on to full Win98 working.

It's around 45 secs on my current PC, too much too do at the start, WinXP.

By the cringe I had 30/40 seconds on 98 with a lot of stuff on the desktop which I didn’t think too bad but 9seconds!!!! Was this on a raid system, of had you been tinkering with your BIOS?

Are you guys timing as you press the button or waiting for the BIOS to complete and just timing windows loading?
It normally takes at least 4 or 5 seconds for the machine to power up and run through the BIOS.

I've found XP boots really quick on my PC.
About 20 seconds from switch on to full works!
:D

It was an incredibly clean system. Full format before hand and only Win98 with latest drivers for all hardware installed. I put Office97 on later and that slowed it up considerably.

It's my parents PC now, AMD Duron800, 512Mb PC100 SDRAM, 30Gb IBM Deskstar 60, Gigabyte mobo, Kyro II 64mb video.

Originally posted by Desmo
Are you guys timing as you press the button or waiting for the BIOS to complete and just timing windows loading?
It normally takes at least 4 or 5 seconds for the machine to power up and run through the BIOS.
That the reason for the 20/25 in my original posting.

W2K takes about 20 secs from switch on.
It helps if you switch off all unecessary IDE channels in the bios and hardware settings in W2K. I also don't bother with a login prompt.

Course I then have to wait 45 secs for powerstrip to let me close the pop up: yes I know I should just pay for it. I will do when I get the time.

Originally posted by Mr.D
Course I then have to wait 45 secs for powerstrip to let me close the pop up: yes I know I should just pay for it. I will do when I get the time.

Ditto.:D

What unnecessary IDE channels are they and under what heading would I find them???

And what’s this ( Course I then have to wait 45 secs for powerstrip to let me close the pop up)?

Originally posted by Garrett
And what’s this ( Course I then have to wait 45 secs for powerstrip to let me close the pop up)?

It's software which allows for custom resolutions such as 856x480 etc.. for anyone running a projector i.e. non standard/driver resolutions.

If it's not registered/paid for, it has a "tips" box which pops up. I think it'll still take a few secs to initialise even if reg'd.

From 'Starting Windows' message to control of the machine, it flys like a brick down a chimney.

Getting through the 3 Bios scans to the 'Windows Starting' message is more like a portley Santa trying to get down a chimney.

Why........

2 scsi cards (AHA 39160 & AHA 2940U2W) with 7 scsi drives (1*15k Seagate cheetah as boot, 4 of the same as a raid drive and 2 * 10k seagate cheetahs as backup / working drives). The 2940U2 is there for the DVDrom and the DLT tape drive.

Booting up from power on, there is not much between it and my Shuttle SS50 with a Seagate Barracuda (7,200rpm).

For general use though the main machine just wipes the floor with the shuttle especially when using the raid drive (and it is only WIn XP software raid hence no booting from it).

Cheers
Si

Originally posted by Garrett
What unnecessary IDE channels are they and under what heading would I find them???

And what?s this ( Course I then have to wait 45 secs for powerstrip to let me close the pop up)?

Should be settings in the bios for your IDE connections: primary , secondary, normally default is auto. Varies from motherboard to motherboard but say you are using a scsi drive or a seperate ata100 controller you can change the unused ide channels to none or disabled . This way the machine won't waste time checking them to mount non-existent devices. You can also switch off the floppy seek . Also point the boot device order setup to the relevant HD. Sometimes its set to look at the floppy first then the hard drive for a bootable device.

Powerstrip in its free form has a pop up which over time takes longer to cancel . When you pay for it no more pop up.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom