1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What’s the best Plasma for me ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by spazzbecker, Jul 7, 2004.

1. spazzbecker

spazzbecker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Here’s the thing:
    I’m currently living in California (moved there from Oxfordshire 10 years ago) and will be moving back to the UK.
    Here’s a current list of components I have:

Krell Showcase 7 channel amp
    Krell Showcase Processor
    Arcam DV-27A DVD
    Dynaudio Contour 3.4 main speakers
    Dynaudio contour Centre
    Dynaudio Audience 42W rears
    Sonance 12” Subs (two of them)

I’m looking at getting a 43” or 50” plasma when I get back in the UK , will have Sky+ as well. I will be running component output of the DVD player.

What’s the best all round plasma for DVD’s and Sky TV?
    I have been getting What HIFI magazine for the last 6 months and they love the Panasonic TH-42PE30B What do you think? What does it look like with Sky+? Also would like to use component with the Sky+ as well is this possible?

Cheers
    Carl
    :smashin:

2. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    The general concensus at the moment seems to be that the pioneer panels are best and panasonic second ... although the '7' series pannys are due out later this year ...

I guess an aspect of pioneers favourability is the hdmi connection - although with your kit thats not an issue ... the series 6 pannys use of slot in cards does give flexibility for a variety of input connections ... I guess they'll keep something similar for the 7's

You'll need to convert the rgb scart from the sky+ to component ... look here http://www.js-technology.com/ for the preferred choice of forum users

hth

Jon

3. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    First things first...
    1) Stop buying What Hi Fi (only my opinion)
    2) Do you want it to have speakers to save putting your amp on every time? I would guess not - in which case you can save money and get a better display.
    Best all round...
    How far from the screen will you be? If you can get a 50" and a video processor, I'd go for the Panny PHD6 or Pioneer 50MXE1 (as you can see from my sig, not an easy decision).

4. j0nners

j0nners

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What HiFi is indeed a rather foolish magazine at times. Their finest hour was when they recently reviewed AV stands, and claimed the Atacama stand had an amazing effect on the vibrancy of the colours displayed on the Plasma sat on it.

5. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    Impressive - best I get one.
    I wouldn't single What Hi Fi out - I generally find 95% of magazines are the same. Can be interesting to read, but never as the basis of a purchasing decision. Same with cars (which I know more about than AV) - rarely anything but nonsense.